Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Left 4 Dead 

You play either humans or zeds...

lol canadians

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am

Reading all this makes me want to play Zombie Panic: Source.

Also the idea of sniping zombies with pistols from 5000 yards sounds really fun too. I just don't want to spend another $50 on a video game, I already bought Fable 2. Hey I should write a review.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:14 am
Site Admin

vs is identical to coop. It's the first two campaigns only boss zombies spawn every 30s and are controlled by humans. You play either humans or zeds, humans score based on how far they make it through the level, then you switch sides. So you play surv and zed on each map in the campaign in sequence.

If they'd had that mode in the demo they might have sold me on it. :(

ZPS *is* a HUGE improvement over the original ZP, however, the mod is already plagued by 24/7 servers, and crappy custom map servers. It's still kind of a fun game, if yer in the mood for an almost Zen level of stupidity. The objective maps do take a little thought - although so many folks are used to mindless barricading that they tend to be rough on the humans. Ye need at least 15 players for a decent game, in any case.

I can't believe how popular that Lake of the Dead crap map is though. That map gives me nightmares... Not because of the masses of zombies and corpses, mind you - but because of the damned pink-wood-panel walls everywhere. I actually had nightmares about those damned pink-wood-panels that were so horrifying that now I have to quit playing if that damned map comes up in rotation. Almost makes me wish I was biggoted enough to have voted for Prop 8.
"We take Pete's car, we drive over to mum's, we go in, take care of Phillip - 'I'm so sorry Phillip'. - then we grab mum, we go over to Liz's place, hole up, have a cup of tea, and wait for this whole thing to blow over." - Sean of the Dead
Thothie

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 am
Profile YIM WWW

I tried VS. mode. It actually is alot of fun. It's not quite as in depth as say natural selection, but for what it is, its excellent. I love the smoker, being able to snag a straggler is an awesome experience. When zombie teamwork comes together just right, it really makes for some great gaming.

I still think the co-op is the strongest thing the game has going for it. We still haven't been able to beat any of the other campaigns besides the first one yet. Maybe we should turn the difficulty down a notch.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:50 pm

We got a few OAs playing the No Mercy campaign on expert and got to the helicopter part, in which we got destroyed every time due to mass amounts of tanks and zombies. You just have those awesome moments in this game with friends.

"Dude, what the hell?"
"I was saving you!"
"You shot me in the back of the head with a shotgun...how is that going to help?"
"WHY DO YOU MAKE EVERYTHING INTO A BIG DEAL!"

Also- I wasted Saturday playing versus the whole day. Damn is that fun. Tabasco still takes gaming way to serious 8-)

Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm
Profile WWW

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:13 am

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:27 pm

I actually had nightmares about those damned pink-wood-panels that were so horrifying that now I have to quit playing if that damned map comes up in rotation. Almost makes me wish I was biggoted enough to have voted for Prop 8.

wtf

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:53 pm
Site Admin

When I get back from visiting my folks, assuming I survive my mom's cooking, I'll screw up all my courage and get you a screen shot of this monstrous texture - possibly the most horrific thing ever rendered in anisotropic pixels. Meantime, live in fear.
"It was dramatic to watch my grandmother decapitate a turkey with an ax the day before Thanksgiving. Nowadays the expense of hiring grandmothers for the ax work would probably qualify all turkeys so honored with 'gourmet' status." - Russell Baker
Thothie

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW

We got a few OAs playing the No Mercy campaign on expert and got to the helicopter part, in which we got destroyed every time due to mass amounts of tanks and zombies. You just have those awesome moments in this game with friends.

"Dude, what the hell?"
"I was saving you!"
"You shot me in the back of the head with a shotgun...how is that going to help?"
"WHY DO YOU MAKE EVERYTHING INTO A BIG DEAL!"

Also- I wasted Saturday playing versus the whole day. Damn is that fun. Tabasco still takes gaming way to serious 8-)

Scouts, I'm sorry, I'm a bad friend and I should feel bad :_;
But $50 is like . . . 3 30 racks. or 1/10th of what i owe for car repairs. And I need all my jewgolds cause i'm moving back out tomorrow-ish

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:23 pm
Site Admin

I cannot begin to express how truly horrifying these things are! There is a godforsaken ZPS server that runs the Lake of the Dead map, 24/7 - which is made up of nothing but these terrifying pink wood panels. It's a stupid map to boot - four houses in a box, gotta be a million just like it - but none with this nightmarish texture used as an excuse for walls.

I had a nightmare that I was trapped in such a house, with nothing but these damned pink paneled walls everywhere I looked (no zombies or anything, mind you, just the f*cking walls). I guess I became semi-lucid and tried to dream my way out of it, which, thanks to spending far too much time on the computer, equated to dragging one of the walls off to the side like it was a OS window. Guess what was behind it? MORE PINK PANELS!

Omfg! /me crumbles into fetal position and quivers on floor…

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Holy crap! We picked up a L4D server when I wasn't lookin! (Although is there really any point to hosting a DS for a 4 player game? :\)

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Should set it to versus (the 8-player variant) at least. the 4p stuff is host-able by local clients anyway, so no real need for 4p campaign DS.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 pm
Profile ICQ
Dear Leader

There's actually 4 L4D servers going and they fill up as fast as I can put em up... I might increase the fork count to 10 tomorrow seeing as how the server is basically yawning with the current load. Weird stuff being this popular. It's like the old days! :P

...and I have yet to play the game! I might actually never login because I:

1.) Lack the drive space
2.) My PC's from 2003
3.) Don't have much time to play nowadays

Anyways, I'll take any feedback on the servers since I'm driving blind at this point.

Thanks,

-JP

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 pm
Profile WWW

moved to ask jiggly.

Last edited by TheDoc on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next