The new Minecraft update came out a few days ago and because of the huge number of biome changes to this release, it was inevitable that we’d start anew. As of tonight at 9PM PST, we’ll open up the new server to settlers and let the madness of land grabbing begin. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about this new server:
- Q: What’s going to happen to the old server?
- A: Nothing! It’ll continue to run in parallel for the foreseeable future. If you don’t want to start all over again in the new server, don’t!
- Q: Will you migrate my old structures into the new server?
- A: Yes! We’ll do it on an “on-demand” basis, but it may be a while until we’re able to do so. The tools required to do the migrations such as WorldEdit are heavily dependent on Craftbukkit. CB is a server side binary rebuild that allows for the hooking in of administrative modules. without it, we’re stuck with vanilla Minecraft and no importing capability. CB exists because Mojang STILL HAS NOT RELEASED A SERVER API so we have to go through this exercise every. single. time a new release is available. This also answers the perennial question, “WHY IS LOCKETTE BROKEN?”. Because Mojang doesn’t love you and would rather see rainbow colored glass than prevent griefers from stealing your shit.
- Q: Do we have to live in the stone age all over again?
- A: No (sort of)! I’ll take a user snapshot of all the users on the old server and move them to the new server at 8:30PM today – that’s the cut off. When you join the server, let me know if you want to go with this optional migration plan because I won’t do it unless explicitly asked. Whatever you have in hand will carry over to the new server. This is a lot easier to do than moving your chests and buildings – which will come later. Keep in mind, I will MOVE your user file completely should you choose to do this. That means if you go back to the old server, you will start at the world spawn with nothing in hand. Doing this to prevent duping when the buildings also move over.
- Q: What’s the new server’s IP/host address?
- A: mc.panduck.com (the old server is minecraft.panduck.com) or 18.104.22.168. It’ll stay down until it’s “go” time.
- Q: “Jigglypuff – I have more questions!”
- A: lol