Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
To JP: TFC2?? 

The Sudden Death mode only comes about when a round ends without a victor. This is on the control point maps I believe.

The medic isn't as cool as he used to be. His nail gun feels like a nerf gun, shooting foam at people.

The Scout is about 50x more badass. Three shots from the shotgun took down a HW, not to mention the awesomeness that is the bat.

I agree with JP on the weapon slots. It feels more like CS than TFC. And anything in relation to CS is immediate fail.

I also crash, alot. I narrowed it down to opening my score tab, but I could be very wrong.

I'm awesome.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

well this is just the beta. I think we can safely assume in the time to come all of the classes will have some adjustments. The scout being nerfed, the medic being buffed, etc. etc. Probably not by first release but eventually I am sure. They will probably take alot of negative feedback for getting rid of medic herpes.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:25 pm
Site Admin

The Sudden Death mode only comes about when a round ends without a victor. This is on the control point maps I believe.

WTF is wrong with a tie game? WTF should I have sit around for 15 minutes waiting for jackasses to kill each other just because said jackasses were co-equaled in their jackassedness? ><

I saw a bug report button... Where's the bitch and moan about stupid things button? (Anyone got a link?)

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dear Leader

The fact that you have to wait to respawn on all the maps is pretty annoying IMO. It reminds me of why I stopped playing BF1942 - the spawn countdown. I don't know why the NS spawn timer doesn't bug me though...

Anyways, I'm not too thrilled with how they turned a super fast-paced game into something with a cool down feature built in. Also, the time it takes to build up a SG is annoying... they're trying to cram teamwork down your throat. Not that it's a bad thing - I guess I'm just used to being a selfish medic/sniper/hwguy and TFC was more accommodating for that style of play.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

I dunno everyone on bluesnews is giving it praise. I actually kinda just want to go ahead and give valve my money to try it, since im bored. Blah i dunno.........

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 pm
Site Admin

Bluenews gets paid to give its praise, no doubt. Or the reviewers, much like the developers of this game, never played TFC.

His Pinkness wrote:
The fact that you have to wait to respawn on all the maps is pretty annoying IMO. It reminds me of why I stopped playing BF1942 - the spawn countdown. I don't know why the NS spawn timer doesn't bug me though...

I dun wanna dog on a game I’ve hardly had a chance to play anymore, but do you remember that one TFC server, way back in the day that had the 5 second respawn delay? “Yuffies” or “Vahaula’s TFC” or some such? Even that drove me insane.

They had their AMX voting enabled to general users, so you could make silly votes about one another, I suppose, and they apparently didn’t realize you could vote for cvar changes with it. I kept turning off the death delay through votes that way (and said votes were always unanimous). That eventually got me banned from there when an admin caught me doing it. (One of two servers I’ve ever been banned from – not counting the few times I’ve banned myself from Jigglies).

In NS the respawn delay is about 5-10 seconds (unless someone else is dead with you), and NS isn’t as nearly as fast paced as TFC. Plus it gives you time to plan strategy, and check the overview situation, whereas in TFC, the only thing you need to do is stop that damned scout from getting to your damned flag.

TFC is intended to be a fast paced game of frantic frag fest action. Shouldn’t be a respawn delay – there maybe an option to turn it off. I sure as hell hope there’s an option to kill the last man standing at round end crap.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW

...I don't know why the NS spawn timer doesn't bug me though...

Probably due to the vastly different paces of each respective game.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Fuck it, just bought it. Downloading now at a nice 400+kb/s, which is odd considering its steam.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Fuck it, just bought it. Downloading now at a nice 400+kb/s, which is odd considering its steam.
omfg you traitor!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:19 pm

I'm sorry, i'm just so hard up for a decent game now adays ill do anything.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Sigh, so i just got done playing for like an hour or so.

Pros: Animations are pretty good, but that really doesnt do the game any good. Some of the fire fights were pretty dynamic, it had a cool feeling to it.

Cons: Dunno where to start. I have no desire to play the game again. The movement is god awful, sluggish, and restrictive at times. Everything seems so slow. Gameplay seems "forced", your always with other teammates because the maps seem to bottleneck in certain areas so its more of teammates eventually getting there and backing you up no matter what, because they have to stop and fight to get through as well.

The graphics are well umm, ok i guess i thought everything looks pretty damn bland, such like the game. I played me favorite class sniper. Pretty slow, when zoomed in you have restricted view, then if you unscope your charge goes away so that sucked. I felt very nerfed, i dunno seems useless.

Soldier i also tryed, this is were my beef with movement comes in because when your trying to aim it feels like your lugging around that rocket launcher it almost feels like you have to force it to go where you want with the mouse, like its being restrictive. So shooting it is a chore to me anyways.

HW, yeah it can do some damage, seems not so much anymore. Though on full health (300) 1 rocket brought me down to like the 70's....... a little much dont you think.

Havent really tried the other classes but FF blows this away. :/

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:38 pm

yeah after reading your reviews fixxor, i doubt I'm buying TF2.. i really enjoy FF even though i haven't played it for more than two hours (stupid STUPID work/class). It would have been great if FF came out in the summer i would have had much more time to get used to it. But i never took TFC for granted anyway, :)

Anyway, i'm just not down with the whole sluggish thing, thats one of the reasons i don't play soldier or demo on TFC, they're too slow for me.. i enjoy classes like sniper or medic because speed is really important. I couldn't imagine shoveling money to valve to play a pixar sluggish game =/

maybe it's been glorified too much, but excuse me if i'm wrong, valve really had us on our toes about this game =/

Guess i'll be sticking to FF, maybe talk to fixxor about buying a server on there.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:44 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

How is the game running on you guys' computer hardware? Anyone need to upgrade? What do you guys have?

I need to buy a new computer in order to play TF2 and FF... and I don't want to soak too much into it.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:32 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

i bet you could build a box for 600 bucks (probably less) that runs this game decently.
I have 3.0 Ghz pentium 4
1gb ram
gcard ATI x800 series

I get like avg: 60+fps, with spikes in the 110s and never drops below 40's
I just have a problem with loading and crashing like everyone else on steam source games.

bind k "amx_kick STEAM_0:0:3700026"

Last edited by TheHornet on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

Ok even though yall have written your reviews already, i finally got a chance to play for a good amount of time so I am going to write a comprehensive one.

Before you dis this too hard, keep in mind its still a beta and there are still things to be added (ie mirvs/debtpacks, and any other surprises they will impliment)

Pros:
Overall: I don't know what fixxor is talking about on gameplay, the movement doesn't feel sluggish at all, its very smooth, they have added some head bob which does make aiming a bit more challenging but its deffinately doable. The graphics are great, I really dig the cell shaded cartoonishness of it mixed with the blood and gore we have all come to know and love from TFC. The addition of lots of little extras which aren't really necessary but deffinately give the game a fun added touch, such as nemesis, revenge, and showing you who killed you when you die in the form of a freeze frame (feels very comic book, its deffinately neat).

Classes:

Scout: Awesome class, it's finally viable to play the scout. Scout can double jump, his weapon does good damage up close, and he is really fast. The scout was deffinately one of the more positive playing experiences.

Cons: too good?

Spy: The spy in the game is awesome, he looks cool, his 1 hit kill backstab is easy to control, and has a very nice cloaking device which is actually EFFECTIVE AGAINST REAL PLAYERS GO FIGURE! (love the spy)

Cons: Can't really think of any, the spy is badass.

Sniper: Sniper has been nerfed a bit, as fixxor said, when you unscope you lose your charge, however the charge fills up about 3x as fast so its not that big a deal, and there is alot more emphasis on headshots (as in the old days of TFC any weapon can deliver a headshot). I really like the fact that noobs can't just stay in one area charging for 5 mins until they see someone walk out, then switch to scope and pop him anywhere and watch him explode. This new sniper rifle system actually adds so much needed skill to the class (though not much, it's still fugging easy).

Cons: auto-rifle is very nerfed. I guess you can consider the restricted scope view and loss of charge to be a con, but I like this system better actually.

Soldier: Pretty much the same as the old soldier but without the grenades it seems to have lost some of its power. The rockets do a considerable more amount of damage, but i still feel a tad underpowered as a soldier.

cons: needs more firepower yo.

Demoman: Demoman was one of the classes that really felt finished to me. I have never been a fan of the demoman style play but they did a nice touch and made him a tough cookie. It has proximity/timed pipes, and then remote sticky pipes (which you can stick to enemy players). He also feels beefier than he did in TFC, deffinately much harder to kill.

Cons: They haven't given him MIRVs or Debtpack yet, but supposedly they will be in the final release

HW Guy: Wow, I used to despise HW but they have actually made him fun to play. His gun feels alot more satisfying now than it used to feel and when paired with a medic its absolute pwnage.

Cons: lack of explosives, seems to die faster than it used to (not necessarily bad)

Pyro: Flames do more damage, everything else needs work. No grenades, no long distance, pyro needs some loving

Cons: stated above.

Engineer: The engineer is a very fun class. While SGs might take a little longer to assemble, you no longer have to stay motionless while they do. You throw it down and then immediately can switch weapons to the shotgun as it assembles itself. Like TFC engineers can only have 1 SG, 1 Dispenser, and 1 set of teleporters. The gun is alot harder to upgrade than it used to be, but the upgrades differently upheld their leathality. The engy shotgun also does more damage than it used to, adding alot of secondary firepower to your sentry.

Cons: I miss EMPs. I do not however miss railguns.

Medic: I saved my trademark class for last. I am lukewarm on the changes they have made with the medic. As my name would imply, medic was always my calss of choice back in the day, now I'm not so sure. When I first played the medic I hated it but after playing around with it I grew to like it.

Incase you are unfamiliar with the new medic I'll let you in on how it works. Instead of having a medpack it has a medbeam which can heal players from a medium distance (its also heat seaking and stays on target so its easy to heal friendlies). As you heal someone you slowly charge a secondary ability called the ubercharge. Once you fill your ubercharge you can release it and it temporarily grants invulnerability to both you and whoever you are healing at the time.

While that doesn't sound too amazing, the amount of damage an HW can do in the time he is invulnerable is nuts. He can single handedly clear a flagroom of SGs+soldier+engy+hw. Thus, the medic really implements the teamwork aspect of the game.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While it makes sense that the medic SHOULD heal people, I miss the old days where a good medic could easily be your most powerful offensive unit. Medics are deffinately nerfed on their own. Their primary weapon is a syringe launcher which deals decent damage but I am disappointed that it doesn't have any kind of secondary effect (ie. aids, impaired vision, something). This means medics on their own are very disappointing, but a team with a medic (or several) will deffinately have the clear advantage over a team without medics. It will take some getting used to, but the new medic is cool, he's just no longer a heavy scout like he used to be.

The game is deffinately a little different from TFC, while it has kept many of the aspects that made TFC what it was, it has also changed several of them some for the better and some for the worse. I deffinately like the new emphasis on teamplay, like in the old days of TFC when people actually played to win the round. There is not as much score whoring, and thus it feels like a refreshing game to me. While I do miss the old medic, this new medic makes more sense than the old medic did, he feels more like a medic.

I don't see why you guys are hating on this game so much. Its really not bad, in fact its pretty good. I played it for a good 3 hours without getting tired of it. I for one am not really impressed with the graphical overhaul that is fortress forever. TF2 actually feels like a new game, and I like that.
On top of that, guys jesus its still the demo. They are going to add more to it, and a whole lot more maps. Why the fuck are you hating on maps? They are demo release maps, and I think they did a really good job with the 2 fort overhaul (though I hate what they have done with Well.)
I think TF2 is a good game, worth 44$? probably not by itself, but keep in mind you get portals, episode 1 and 2, and halflife 2. If those games don't appeal to you, at least get TF2, because its deffinately worth 29.99.

Stop hating, you sound like a bunch of closed minded conservatives. Thothie you should be ashamed.

Last edited by TheDoc on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next