Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 

Code Geass: Saw this one recently at the local a-con. It's pretty cool, it takes place in in the future where imperial america (called Britana) has taken over most of the known world (including japan called section 11). Apparently there was a war or something, and this guy hates america for it so he sets out to destroy them with some kind of magical mind control power. He also has a friend that joined the Britanian army. The story is pretty much follows these 2 main characters, showing you both perspectives of the civil war.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society: I know thothie isn't really a fan of the SAC series if for no other reason the Tachi's but this new movie is pretty cool and worth checking out. It takes place in the stand alone complex universe (as opposed to the original ghost in the shell universe) where The Major never merged with the net. If you are familiar with SAC you know it pretty much follows the special ops Public Security Section 9. This movie takes place after Second Gig. I found it more entertaining than innocence was, worth a look I'd say. Got a pretty good sound track too (as does the rest of the series)

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:28 am
Site Admin

I saw the first episode of Code Gease - that looked very interesting. So long as our hero doesn’t get a mech. ;) In a somewhat similar genre, I caught the first episode of Innocent Venus which is also looking very interesting.

...and I actually kinda like the Ghost in the Shell series in general, when it's more philosophical/political and less of a "Chicks who kick ass" flick (maybe, in part, due to the fact that I never found The Major very attractive)... But those damn Tachikoma! ZOMG I hate it when they stick in cute, fuzzy, stupendously annoying things in for comic relief in an otherwise serious series, and these things almost always wind up being the key heroes in the end of the series... I think GitS is the only series that I’ve not given up on when I’ve seen a gimmick like that introduced – but god it involved a lot of gagging to get through.

Dr_Who_Encyclopidia wrote:
The Cybermen were the inhabitants of the planet Mondas. Originally twinned with Earth, Mondas drifted off into to the far reaches of space, where it grew cold, and the advanced inhabitance were forced to take on Cybernetic construction to survive. Eventually these new, emotionless, Cybermen gained the technology to redirect the planet, and in 1986, Mondas to returned, with its energy supply completely tapped out. In The Tenth Planet, the Mondasians decided they would recharge their doomed world using Earth’s power – until, thanks to a meddling Time Lord, they got their sums wrong and blew up Mondas through an overload.

Is it just me – or is that the background plot to Space Symphony Maetel right there? That’s the 1966 Dr. Who plot. Glad to know the Japanese watched that stuff. ;)

Granted, it maybe coincidence. Dr. Who has done everything, being the longest running sci-fi series of all time (running since 1963, or 1922, depending on where you draw the line - wins the title either way). There are also, at least, four different explanations for the creation of the Cybermen. Still, the Vulcan Mind Meld, and hell – the Vulcan’s themselves were “borrowed” from Dr. Who too, lock, stock, and barrel, so who knows.

I finished a few anime series recently, sometime I'll have to put up some more too-long-to-read reviews.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:46 am
Profile YIM WWW

*patiently waits for thothies recommendations*

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:26 pm

Haven't watched much lately myself. Hellsing, which I'm sure you've already seen. Still have an unopened set of Juuni Kokki (twelve kingdoms) DVD's I've yet to crack. Could go borrow Gunslinger girl from the roomate I suppose.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:03 pm
Profile ICQ

I had to watch Ghost in the Shell for one of my classes at college, it was OK. If you liked that movie, you will like Appleseed.

Btw, I love how there is a thread named after me 8)

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:15 am

I vote we try to kill him with a Forklift.

Bonus points to the person who recognizes that rather obscure reference.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:19 am
Profile ICQ
Jigglyroom Admin

I vote we try to kill him with a Forklift.

Bonus points to the person who recognizes that rather obscure reference.

Your search - "I vote we try to kill him with a Forklift" - did not match any documents.

:cry:

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:28 am

This German instructional safety video about forklifts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdjt6Bl5qdY

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:50 am

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:26 pm
Profile ICQ

How about you stop playing guild wars and come play Eve.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:06 pm

That's my all-time. Haven't played GW in almost a year. Just haven't played enough of anything else to top it.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:28 pm
Profile ICQ

I had to watch Ghost in the Shell for one of my classes at college, it was OK. If you liked that movie, you will like Appleseed.

What class was this?

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:40 pm

AnimeLOL wrote:

What class was this?

It's an introductory humanities class where I go (you have to pick one class out of about 6 or 7 options every quarter as part of the requirements as freshman and sophomores).

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 pm

the first GITS movie was probably one of the first anime's I ever saw. It's right up there with galaxy express 999 and akira.

I was pretty young when I first saw it though, and not exactly accustomed to such a harsh brand of violence at the time. The only 2 scenes I remember from the entire movie are the very beginning when th major jumps of the building naked, and the very end where she rips off her arms trying to open the tank thingy.

I really need to watch it again, I own the other 2 movies and soon to own the first season of SAC.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:28 pm

The only 2 scenes I remember from the entire movie are the very beginning when th major jumps of the building naked, and the very end where she rips off her arms trying to open the tank thingy.

Did 5th Element come out before this movie?

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next