Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 

Spellman, this thread was pretty big before the forum switch, so a lot of what you mentioned were already listed before. But it is always nice to get it listed again 8-) And humboldt, your american avatar shows tits, which is always nice, but the japanese avatar shows so much more without.

Genshiken- Group of otakus in a club with a non otaku....comedy ensues. Very good, I enjoyed it very much.

Welcome to the NHK!- Only just started this, but so far pretty good. Guy who stays in his room 24/7 with no job, no school, nothing. Some random chick offers to help, hilarity ensues.

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu- Great anime, but even better when you see the first FMP. FMP: The Second Raid was also very good. Each of the series has VERY good character development which leads to some great shows.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:22 am
Profile WWW

OK. My bad for being a nublet to the forum.

Anyways, I haven't gotten around to FMP?: Fumoffu! yet, but I started getting tired of the original FMP since it kept getting more and more cliche after the second major story arc.

ZOMG, evil dude is back and he's killing stuff, main dude is awkward out of military, chick is kickin' arse and supports main dude to pull through and stop evil dude. Rinse and repeat. Oh, and a few side stories covering history and char dev here and there.

Unless it suddenly got better before I quit as Tox Box arc started up. Was hoping for a new villain, then got pissed.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:40 am

I did feel the same during the original, it got a little bit too mreh. But Fumoffu! was very good. All comedy, no silly action or anything. I enjoyed it, but it is worth it to finish the first series to watch it. Although I know some people who watched just F! and enjoyed it to no end.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:35 am
Profile WWW

I think tis only appropriate I post first in here :lol:

Soo...basically the only anime I've watched since I came up with this ridiculous name 4 years ago when I was watching DBZ...is this one anime movie called "Beyond the Clouds - the Promised Place." It's pretty epic, especially since I have it in HiDef 1080p (this is related to my laggy fade issue)!!

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Oh yeah, so I forgot about this really cool one. OK, two....

Last Exile
Doing an awesome mix of traditional and CGI, it follows the journey of two friends as they are sucked into a conflict in the sky. Beautiful animation, great storyline, and wonderful characters that develop throughout the story. Also, gotta love the chess references for titles.

Samurai 7
Based off the classic movie Samurai 7, it's an interesting blend of old school anime and CGI. It starts out very similar to the original movie, but later begins to take on a life of its own. It's also a weird sci-fi setting with giant robots and flying castles, but the peasants are doing Meiji planting and practice a kind of shamanism. Not to mention samurai are elevated to almost god hood in some of their abilities as they hone their skills and souls into a blade of the battlefield, thus losing their innocence.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:18 pm

I have to agree with Anime, Beyond the Clouds was pretty fucking good. I have a crappy monitor, and it was still fucking badass. The story was actually decent, kept me entertaining throughout.

I also enjoyed Last Exile, it's up there on my list of good animes 8-) Haven't seen Samurai 7 yet, been meaning to download it though.

Just finished Welcome to the NHK last night, and I have to say it ended very well. Watched a little of Black Cat, it's decent so far. Not really sure of the plot yet, but it involves bounty hunters and assassins and stuff. Going to start watching Shakugan no Shana tonight, I've heard some good things about it.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Profile WWW

Currently I snagged a copy of Planetes from Ye Olden Best Buy for like $30.
Great show. Sci-fi show set in the near future (mechless) mostly a people story type anime about the Debris Section of a space station whose job it is to collect all of the random crap that is orbiting the planet in order to keep space lanes clear for flights to space stations/the moon.

Good humor, good drama, etc. etc. Go download.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Profile ICQ

aw dude, I was meaning to check Planetes out. I'll be sure to catch that one next.

Here's another nice one I found:
Pale Cocoon.

It's only 1 episode, but it covers alot of ground and has excellent animation. No, it's not a pilot (well, I don't think it is). The premise is there's a couple of people going through archives of how Earth used to be, and generally getting depressed that humans destroyed Earth. Is there any hope left in this forsaken place?

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:39 am
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

/r/ more info on this "Beyond the Clouds - the Promised Place"

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

Well, basically its a story taking place in an alternate present. after WWII, Japan, like Germany, gets split in 2. Each half getting controlled by the US or Russia. The Russians make some sort of mysterious tower (like 10 miles high) that is making the US side very suspicious. The story follows 2 best friends and a girl they become friends with who disappears and follows their lives from middle school to high school students. The friends are exceptionally smart and are obsessed with the tower, which they feel is connected to the disappearance of their friend Sayuri.

All in all, its amazing and a good watch. Good story and visuals (especially in 1080p, but i can't tell you how to get that).

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... me&aid=469

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Ah I believe I have a couple of wallpapers from the DVD cover of this.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Wow. I'm impressed ya'll like Promised Place. I mean I adored it - but I'm friggen old, and I've only ever seen it with a date in the room (this is gotta be in the top 5 date animes of all time). I don't expect this sort of sappy flick to appeal to young men full of bloodlust. *sigh* They grow up so fast. ;) I put up a too-long-to-read review for it long ago, but I'm not sure if I have it archived anywhere...

Still watching NANA as my primary date anime – which is good, but I don't expect to be done with it before the end of the year at the rate we're going – lest I cheat... Also was forced to sit through all six episodes of Gate Keepers 21 one night. Which is kinda, like... Sailor Moon and MTV's Daria team up to fight the forces of the nega-verse. (So, yeah, not highly recommended). I guess, this too, is some sort of nostalgia flick based on some older, no doubt, even sillier anime.

Oh yeah, and I was also forced to watch my first Yaoi flick. (Or at least the first one I survived sitting through – unless you count Gundom Wing as Yaoi). “Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge” - and I must say, it was actually, genuinely, friggen hilarious. Tis about four, far too beautiful to be believed, playboys who who leech off some sort of rich female benefactor, who leaves them with her god awfully socially backwards gothic niece, under the condition that they must transform her into a beautiful, proper lady, in a week, or start paying rent. Needless to say, mass panic ensues. This is, of course, something you have to watch with a girl on hand, lest someone questions your sexuality, but it's worth it for the giggles.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Actually, now that I'm at a puter that has the proper codec software:
http://www.thothie.com/4jiggly6/Yamato_ ... 2clips.AVI

Two clips from Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge.

I suspect the premise will be old by the time we see it again, but the first episode is at least very funny.

I'm currently looking into something called "Fantastic Children" - which is very interesting, but it's also apparently one of those flicks where you've no idea what's going on even several episodes in. Seems to involve a group of white-haired child vampires running from some shadowy ghosts while trying to find this reincarnating woman? There's a bot in the opening titles that may kill it - but no sign of anything along those lines thus far. Anyone seen enough of this to give it a certain thumbs up or down? I don't want to inflict it on someone only to share the fact that it goes to sh*t xx episodes in.
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place." - Douglas Adams (RIP)
Thothie

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge looks like another reverse harem. Haven't seen any episodes yet, but read the description. The reverse harem worked really well for Ouran High School Club, so this could be good also.

Fantastic Children seems like a nice plot. Haven't seen it to give any report about it, but it won the AniDB Best Fantasy/Story of 2005, so it can't be ALL bad. Although I have been slightly disappointed with some of their other picks (Noein, I had to force myself to finish it in hopes of entertaining me, but alas, it failed miserably) the AniDB community usually picks the good ones out of the bunch.

I've finished and started a few series, but since I'm not home I don't really want to get into them. I'll give a nice post about them tomorrow or so.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:09 am
Profile WWW

So yeah, I forgot about this. Anyyywwaayyssssss.....Here is my recommendations.

Claymore- The setting of the story is a fictional world of abundant towns where humans coexist with demons called Yoma. These monsters feed on humans as their main source of food, hiding themselves in human society until they strike.

A group of skilled warriors form a nameless organization to protect humans from these demons. These warriors are called Claymores, after their immense Claymore weapons. They willingly infuse themselves with demon flesh and blood to become powerful half-human hybrids. Villages in danger of attack hire warriors from the organisation for protection.

Scouts Opinion: Very good action combined with a decent story equals a pretty damn good anime. Although one of the characters inspires hate, the rest of the show is quite good. Definitely recommend for those who like sword play and the HOTZ0RZ ladies.

Black Cat- The world is secretly controlled by a secret organizition, Chronos. Under the command of this mysterious organization, are the Chronos Numbers, a group of powerful assasins, taking orders to eliminate certain target secretly to keep the so-called `peace`. One of the most powerful is the Number XIII, Train Hartnett, or known as Black Cat. At first he seems to be a cruel killer, a meeting with a girl Sweeper changed him completely. Now as a Sweeper, Train travelled with his partner Sven Volfied to hunt down criminals.

Scouts Opinion: The description doesn't give it justice. There is a ton of other shit going on which makes it a pretty good show. The character development is fairly good with it's share of action. If you don't mind the "Special Abilities" style of fighting(Controlling the elements, kicking ass with a gun) this is a good choice. Although the end was slightly weak, it wraps up nicely.

Shakugan no Shana- Sakai Yuji was a normal student, but one day his normal life was gone. He was assaulted by a monster, Guze no Tomogara.It was a monster which came from another world, and was able to turn humans into light for him to eat. It was a girl with burning hair and red eyes (shakugan = flaming eyes) that saved him, while he was too surprised to move. Then, that girl said to him You don`t exist anymore. What she meant was...

Scouts Opinion: Wow, pretty crappy description. Haven't finished the series yet, but it is fantastic. Just think high school drama, but with monsters and swords and stuff. Some parts make you think a bit, but it isn't overwhelming like others.

Also watching NANA, but Thoth covered it awhile ago. It's pretty good so far, but I'm only 6-7 episodes in. As for something I would tell you to NEVER watch, it would be Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Wow, was that a very boring show. The hour-thirty it last, I slept through 45 minutes of it. it might have some underlying message, but it wasn't able to keep my attention. The NS model pack looks really cool though 8-)

All descriptions were from AniDB. I didn't want to do write anything about it.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next