Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Metro 2033 

Possibly the most immersive shooter I've played since halflife 2, extremely creepy to boot. The graphics are amazing as well if you run it on DX11, be ready for it to test your rig. Basically this game is the sleeper hit of last year, if you haven't played it or purchased it on steam when it went on sale for 5$, you're missing out.

As of this post, you have 3 hours to pick it up for 5$. I highly recommend it.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 am
Site Admin

Hrmm... $10 on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/43110

Not to disparage this game, which I'm sure is exemplary of its genre... But why don't we have any games that take place in pleasant environments? You know, an exciting virtual experience in some place we might actually want to be, as opposed to this never ending drawl of post-apocalyptic wastelands and gut-splitting aliens?

Just a thought... But it seems odd that every action game seems to take place in one sort of hell or another. Not sure what that says about us.
"Like riding an exploding wave of chocolate down a volcano in Hawaii. The sky is a beautiful shade of pink, and looking up, you realize the clouds are all perfect breasts clapping together in symmetry. Cheering you on." - 4Chan
Thothie

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Saint Thoth wrote:
Hrmm... $10 on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/43110

Not to disparage this game, which I'm sure is exemplary of its genre... But why don't we have any games that take place in pleasant environments? You know, an exciting virtual experience in some place we might actually want to be, as opposed to this never ending drawl of post-apocalyptic wastelands and gut-splitting aliens?

Just a thought... But it seems odd that every action game seems to take place in one sort of hell or another. Not sure what that says about us.
"Like riding an exploding wave of chocolate down a volcano in Hawaii. The sky is a beautiful shade of pink, and looking up, you realize the clouds are all perfect breasts clapping together in symmetry. Cheering you on." - 4Chan
Thothie

I think it probably says that it's hard to create a tense atmosphere in a tropical paradise :P . If you're interested, the game is actually based on a novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky, and while I haven't read the book, I assume the setting is true to the source material. I actually find the environment in the game to very intriguing, unlike the Mad Max parody post-apocalyptic titles that have come out in the past few years.

Some interesting notes on the game:
- Ammunition is the primary currency, "military grade" rounds being the gold standard.
- Air above ground is Toxic, in order to walk around above ground you'll need a gas mask and air filters which must be periodically changed (mask can be broken during combat).
- Pockets of civilization are contained within the metro stations themselves. The tunnels which interconnect the stations are hostile... and creepy as shit for that matter.
- Baddies are somewhat Lovecraftian in nature, and the game has a sort of tendency to "mess with your mind."
- Guns actually generate smoke trails.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Ok Doc, you sold it to me. Downloading the Razor 1911's iso release / update pach by Skidrow. Looks like fun.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 am
Site Admin

Great, now SOPA is going to close this board down. ><

Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW

SOPA = SOUP in spanish

Glad we don't have a clear antipiracy legislation yet and the corruption is everywhere. Advantages of 3rd world :D

edit/

Bleh, it has sorta depressing mood I don't like it much. Besides, what I hate the most in this kind of cliches is the fact devs are too lazy to find out some tips or at least get the available bibliography on the matter. For example, in a post-apoca-lipstick scenario you should farm rabbits instead pigs, mainly because rabbits are quiet, their reproduction cicle is sort and they multiply exponentially, are resistant to temperature variations, it is easy to keep them clean and you can feed them with anything containing celulosa without much water + their skin may be used too for dressing or beds. If the rabbits fail you can always get rats, but never pigs. Ya i know it is a game but it has the pretention of some realism so why not get some instructional tips mixed in? I guess Fallout 3 was somehow a better title imo. Good call though.

/edit

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:19 pm

this is why I love c4k

how is the rendering beowulf cluster?

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:27 am

I disagree, I honestly think this game has a much better narrative, setting, atmosphere, and shooting mechanics than fallout 3. That being said... they're not really the same genre of game in either gameplay or artistic vision. Just because they're both set in post apocalyptic setting doesn't mean they should be compared to one another. Fallout 3 is an RPG with comedic and satirical elements, where as this more of a shooter/survival horror by gameplay, and the tone is far more mature and gritty. They're both fine games, but when it comes to the apocalypse scenario, I think i prefer drama and atmosphere to super mutants and dick jokes.

You really need to play more than an hour of the game to understand the beauty of it though, the game really picks up after you leave the second station. It does immersion and atmosphere better than any game i've played since HL2.

Pigs aside, give it a chance, it's a great game. It's got by far one of the most satisfying endings of any game I've played this generation.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:44 am
Site Admin

C4K3 wrote:
SOPA = SOUP in spanish

Glad we don't have a clear antipiracy legislation yet and the corruption is everywhere. Advantages of 3rd world :D

I'm afraid SOPA is the result of an excess of corruption, rather than a lack there of. I'm afraid, in a lot of ways, we're much more corrupt here than in your country. Main difference being, your corruption travels from the bottom up... While ours flows from the top down.

...That is, not including the corruption in your country which is a direct result from ours interfering with your government, which, mirrors our own much more closely, and as a result, you're really getting it from both directions. ><

TheDoc wrote:
I disagree, I honestly think this game has a much better narrative, setting, atmosphere, and shooting mechanics than fallout 3. That being said... they're not really the same genre

I... Can't make out what the hell C4k3 actually said in that second paragraph... But comparing cross-genre games is legit, provided you give the caveat that you are comparing the genres, more than the game themselves. It maybe he prefers comedy horror at a leisurely pace to regular horror at a fast one... Gods know, "comedy horror" tends to describe C4k3 pretty well.

To toss in yet another genre... I tend to disdain single player games. I did play Fallout3, but I never finished it, beyond the main quest line - and even that took me over a year, I was playing so little.

A post-apocalyptic game I did like, however, and it came as quite a surprise, was Borderlands (/plug $7 on steam nao! /plug). Like Fallout3, it's a humorous world, but it's more of a healthy testosterone fueled, mad-max humor, rather than this bleak post-apocalyptic "that's so tragic it's funny" sort of humor. It thus has a much more upbeat feel, and much more importantly - it's four player co-op. Fairly easy to find folks to play with, despite the game's age.

I normally hate MORPG's, but this one's just so tightly built, it really works out. Plus it has this really unique art set, where they've "drawn" onto all of the textures, giving them a sort of organic comic book feel. It's also so action packed that it's really more comparable to Left4Dead, and the like, than any MORPG I can name.

Downsides being that, after you've played it a while, it gets increasingly difficult to find folks in your level range who aren't twits, and the rampant cheating going on, that affects you more and more as you level. There's some Console<->PCPort issues that coulda been handled better too. Those are minor issues when set against the game as a whole though - and since Borderlands 2 is coming out, hopefully they'll be addressed soon.

TheDoc wrote:
it's hard to create a tense atmosphere in a tropical paradise

Suddenly, Far Cry comes to mind. ;)

There are a few games that break the hell barrier... Mirror's Edge is fairly pleasant... I suppose Assassin's Creed is too (though true, it isn't FPS). That old Savage game was pretty. I don't mind the occasional virtual trip through the valley of death, but it really seems there should be more options apart from that. Granted, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for - if the game's too pleasant, I won't quite playing! ...But I am really, really just sick and tired of the whole zombies-in-hellish-maze-genre.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Saint Thoth wrote:
I... Can't make out what the hell C4k3 actually said in that second paragraph... But comparing cross-genre games is legit, provided you give the caveat that you are comparing the genres, more than the game themselves. It maybe he prefers comedy horror at a leisurely pace to regular horror at a fast one... Gods know, "comedy horror" tends to describe C4k3 pretty well.

XD dear mastah, you are one of my top 3 internet characters of all time! I suspect that last sentence will be in my t-shirt next year, is just that epic!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Saint Thoth wrote:

TheDoc wrote:
it's hard to create a tense atmosphere in a tropical paradise

Suddenly, Far Cry comes to mind. ;)

There are a few games that break the hell barrier... Mirror's Edge is fairly pleasant... I suppose Assassin's Creed is too (though true, it isn't FPS). That old Savage game was pretty. I don't mind the occasional virtual trip through the valley of death, but it really seems there should be more options apart from that. Granted, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for - if the game's too pleasant, I won't quite playing! ...But I am really, really just sick and tired of the whole zombies-in-hellish-maze-genre.

I almost mentioned Farcry, but I really didn't enjoy that game. It was more of a tech demo than an actual game, plus there's just something about placing invisible walls in foliage that just drives me nuts. Not to mention, there was nothing scary about the killer monkeys.

I guess you could maybe argue Dead Island, though I've never played it, and assume it plays more like Dead Rising than an actual survival horror game. There are plenty examples of good games outside of the post apocalyptic setting, however I can't think of many in the genre that pull it off as well as Metro.

I personally found Borderlands to be a snooze, the enemy AI was awful and the "difficulty" scaling was nothing more than HP scaling. The plot was trite and the ending was awful. I also really didn't like the randomized gun system. It worked for diablo 2, but I only ever considered using maybe 1 out of every 50 guns i found and sold the rest.

Fallout 3 wasn't bad, but I just couldn't get into the gameplay. The shooting mechanics were unpolished, the V.A.T.S. system got old after the first 10 times you used it, and the wasteland itself was pretty uninteresting.

Anyway, I feel Metro is certainly worth the discounted price tag, but to each their own.

Last edited by TheDoc on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:46 pm
Dear Leader

That Annoying Kid wrote:
this is why I love c4k

Derail: Relevant to my interests - someone here has Beowulf cluster exp?
(not sure if joke or not but I'm quite interested)

-JP

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:33 am
Profile WWW

last time I check c4k has a bunch of headless older CPU's LAN'd up around his house and he runs them as a beowulf cluster for his 3d rendering projects

c4k3 dabbles

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Jigglypuff wrote:
That Annoying Kid wrote:
this is why I love c4k

Derail: Relevant to my interests - someone here has Beowulf cluster exp?
(not sure if joke or not but I'm quite interested)

-JP

♥ TAK. Yes his pinkness, we have been playin' since 2001 with a frankenstein of 75 hetero dual and quad cores picked from the trash and running 180 + diskless nodes, a modified kernel over fedora 10 or 12, and an automatic charge balancer with OpenMosix + an experimental fail tolerance scheme using redundancy and a process control using monitoring over pipes and threads (the powersuplyes and capacitors tend to overheat and fail a lot... And I love to weld that shit) We got it first in here before anyone around and now a days the old-dirty-numb-monster keep solving non critical nonlinear numerics 24/7 now mainly for student doing their math homework in C using PVM and MPI...

Our new toy is a bunch of Fermi Nvidia GPUs with around 10,000 processors and apps in CUDA, and we are doing something similar, fail tolerance and control this time with Erlang... The main problem is the fact those small graphic processors are massively good but you never get any output when an error occurs so if you are working heavy with numbers the error expands and cost weeks of cpu time to the trash. The last time was a crash produced by my renders running at the same time that certain stupid viscoelastic fluid equation my nerdy boss had to run at midnight, so it failed, he got mad and we got some drama about it. I had to migrate my graphic renderings since then to a shitty windows 7 wireless mini farm running rendering clients at secretary's machines... The good news is that there are some unused i7 processors around and my rendering clients run perfectly fine in windows 7 64 with 6-8 gigs of free ram LOL

Wife is a superhacker nerd that got us round tickets to the ICTP years ago in a high performance computing clustering international course. She did the dirty job while I kept rolling, eating and buying Rare Doctor Martens at italian outlets for €5 each. Good deal. So if you need something please just ask his pinkness, I'll triangulate :D

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:22 pm

ever notice how his English is suddenly perfect when he talks dirty?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next