Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 

Finally, a proper survival horror title where you're not loaded to the teeth or suffering with a temperamental camera angles and terrible play control.

Amnesia the dark descent is a first person suvival horror game developed by the same indi developer responsible for the penumbra series. It's an interesting take on survival horror in that there are no weapons; instead you find yourself running and hiding from the baddies which are out to get you.

The story itself is intriguing enough, however the atmosphere where the game really shines. Admittedly some of the graphics and textures feel a little dated (hl2 or better) but it's by no means a bad looking game. The world is very immersive, especially if you play in a dark room with a headset on.

Gameplay consists of interacting with your environment, solving puzzles, and generally avoiding the darkness. The game features an insanity system, which causes your character to lose sanity whenever you witnesses a disturbing or paranormal event. As you lose sanity, you begin to hear voices, and see things which aren't really there.

Overall it's a pretty neat game, and a good specimen of the genre. If you're a survival horror fan its definitely worth giving it a shot. It's been on sale on steam a few times over the past 2 months, I wouldn't be surprised if it went on sale again.

8/10

Last edited by TheDoc on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 pm

it looks worth checking out

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

They make me check under my desk for monsters. :oops:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am
Site Admin

...Wait for it....

Obligatory Yahtzee Review!

Actually, it seems to be his #4 in Top Games of 2010.

Still, not big on single player games... Best you can hope to get out of them is a good story, and this one doesn't seem to really have that going for it. Maybe I can trick my little sister and her friends into playing with it - (totally worth 100 mile drive just to find out). I miss watching them jump under the desk screaming when playing Phantasmagoria. Sure, she's nearly forty now, but from the look of this, I'm sure this would do the job... Sure, it'd be more logical to use my friend's daughters, but this generation seems so jaded, they "doesn't afraid of anything".

At least it's first person though. I thought ESRB rules made that illegal or something for awhile there. At least that's the only reason I could think for anyone attempting to make a "horror" game third person.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Well, thanks to that review, now I know there's a monster waiting outside the door of the room I last logged off of. I believe I'm at that very point he was referring to.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]