Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Fallout 3 

does it blow up immediately or do you set the time/date or what?

do you still get paid?

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:51 am

You have to travel to the tenny tower, to blow it with a suit case. Once doing so, you gain a real bad negative karma, but you gain a suite in the hotel(you get a key) and a lot of caps, after that you are free to go on your quests. The suite has a bed, bobble head holder, desk, dresser, robot who can give you hair cuts, and if you got the caps, you can buy stuff for your room, wall paper, work bench, lab bench ect ect.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:55 am

So, beat it with my good karma fellow. Going to restart as eeevil. Haven't seen everything or anything, so I've got a fair bit of locations to explore yet that I haven't seen, which is good.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:18 am
Profile ICQ

Find the alien laser gun, it kills deathclaws in 2 to 3 shots.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 am

Alright, the abridged version then.

Basically, Fallout 3 plays like a Bethesda RPG and the Fallout series had a baby, and that baby became the savior of the Oblivion engine.

If you weren't that big a fan of Oblivion, don't fret you'll still most likely like Fallout. Like previous Bethesda titles, Fallout 3 allows you to play the game the way you want to play it, the decisions your make in game will change the outcome of your game. A karma system allows you to keep track of how famous or infamous your character has become. Playing the game as good or evil will obviously result in different dialogues, different perks, and in some instances different cities being nuked (sometimes by you). Also, like in previous fallout titles, certain followers will only affix themselves to you if your karma is aligned with theirs. Playing one way or the other isn't necessarily harder, its just different, so obviously there is alot of incentive to play through the game multiple times (or play it like I am with 2 different characers at once trying out different dialogues and methods for accomplishing my goals).

Characer development is slightly different in F3 than in previous betheda titles. Like in other Bethesda games, you'll assign your initial career points in stats in the direction you want your character to play in. There are a few preset type classes, or you can simply choose to mix and match your points in whatever skills fit your playstyle. Unlike morrowind and oblivion, your skills won't level up by swimming in one direction for hours, or hopping everywhere you go. Instead when you level up, you'll simply be assigning points into the areas you wish to improve. There are many different skills in this game, each one allows you to play the game slightly differently so really... there's almost infinite replay value to this game as long as you have the stomach for it.

The world is beautifully realized to say the least. It looks every bit as impressive, depressing, creepy, and intriguing as you could possibly imagine a post nuclear apocalyptic world would look. There are tons of optional side quests, which are deffinately worth doing if for no other reason than it sends you to areas on the world you wouldn't normally travel to and really helps you to explore your surroundings. I really never get tired of just exploring the world. I could wander around for hours just looking at shit and dying to random high level wasteland dwelling enemies. The wastelands really just feel very alive, and eerily realistic. Being caught outside city gates after night fall definately invokes a feeling of dread. The Wasteland feel every bit as wild and untamed as a lawless land of raiders and super mutants should feel.

Combat in the game is extremely fun. It plays out almost like a first person shooter, except your range, accurracy, and damage with certain weapons is mostly dependant on your stats. On top of this, they've also implemented the VATS system, which allows you to freeze time and target specific limbs of your enemy's body. Doing so uses action points, which recharge over time. The NATS system is nostalgic of the old turn based combat from the previous fallout games, additionally killing someone in this combat mode is very graphically rewarding. For example, getting a direct hit on someone's head from close range with a shotgun blows it off. Getting a critical hit with a lazer incinerates them into a pile of ash. The slow motion death animations almost never get old.

Overall, the game is just excellent. I have my copy as an indeffinate rental for the time being, but i can deffinately see myself adding it to my collection after i''ve played through it once.

(maybe not so abridged)

tl;dr

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:31 pm

TheDoc wrote:
Alright, the abridged version then.

Basically, Fallout 3 plays like a Bethesda RPG and the Fallout series had a baby, and that baby became the savior of the Oblivion engine.

If you weren't that big a fan of Oblivion, don't fret you'll still most likely like Fallout. Like previous Bethesda titles, Fallout 3 allows you to play the game the way you want to play it, the decisions your make in game will change the outcome of your game. A karma system allows you to keep track of how famous or infamous your character has become. Playing the game as good or evil will obviously result in different dialogues, different perks, and in some instances different cities being nuked (sometimes by you). Also, like in previous fallout titles, certain followers will only affix themselves to you if your karma is aligned with theirs. Playing one way or the other isn't necessarily harder, its just different, so obviously there is alot of incentive to play through the game multiple times (or play it like I am with 2 different characers at once trying out different dialogues and methods for accomplishing my goals).

Characer development is slightly different in F3 than in previous betheda titles. Like in other Bethesda games, you'll assign your initial career points in stats in the direction you want your character to play in. There are a few preset type classes, or you can simply choose to mix and match your points in whatever skills fit your playstyle. Unlike morrowind and oblivion, your skills won't level up by swimming in one direction for hours, or hopping everywhere you go. Instead when you level up, you'll simply be assigning points into the areas you wish to improve. There are many different skills in this game, each one allows you to play the game slightly differently so really... there's almost infinite replay value to this game as long as you have the stomach for it.

The world is beautifully realized to say the least. It looks every bit as impressive, depressing, creepy, and intriguing as you could possibly imagine a post nuclear apocalyptic world would look. There are tons of optional side quests, which are deffinately worth doing if for no other reason than it sends you to areas on the world you wouldn't normally travel to and really helps you to explore your surroundings. I really never get tired of just exploring the world. I could wander around for hours just looking at shit and dying to random high level wasteland dwelling enemies. The wastelands really just feel very alive, and eerily realistic. Being caught outside city gates after night fall definately invokes a feeling of dread. The Wasteland feel every bit as wild and untamed as a lawless land of raiders and super mutants should feel.

Combat in the game is extremely fun. It plays out almost like a first person shooter, except your range, accurracy, and damage with certain weapons is mostly dependant on your stats. On top of this, they've also implemented the VATS system, which allows you to freeze time and target specific limbs of your enemy's body. Doing so uses action points, which recharge over time. The NATS system is nostalgic of the old turn based combat from the previous fallout games, additionally killing someone in this combat mode is very graphically rewarding. For example, getting a direct hit on someone's head from close range with a shotgun blows it off. Getting a critical hit with a lazer incinerates them into a pile of ash. The slow motion death animations almost never get old.

Overall, the game is just excellent. I have my copy as an indeffinate rental for the time being, but i can deffinately see myself adding it to my collection after i''ve played through it once.

(maybe not so abridged)

tl;dr

Fat people are so lazy :(

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:57 pm

So, beat it with my good karma fellow. Going to restart as eeevil. Haven't seen everything or anything, so I've got a fair bit of locations to explore yet that I haven't seen, which is good.

So apparently I inadvertently skipped going to Galaxy News Radio by going to rivet city first. :(

I didn't know this would happen, my last separate save is a long time ago, before i did the "Those" quest. Is it worth going back that far in order to go to GNR?

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:03 am

Locane wrote:
tl;dr

I'm not fat :(

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:35 pm

TheDoc wrote:
Locane wrote:
tl;dr

I'm not fat :(

If we keep it up you might develop an eating disorder.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Spyder wrote:

So apparently I inadvertently skipped going to Galaxy News Radio by going to rivet city first. :(

I didn't know this would happen, my last separate save is a long time ago, before i did the "Those" quest. Is it worth going back that far in order to go to GNR?

Skipping GNR is a single step in the main quest. You can actually skip about half of the main quest if you go vault diving. The GNR quest is still available if you know where it is, and you get a location as a reward instead of being told your dad went to Rivet City. Still worth doing, as it gives you the first chance to play with the fat man.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:39 am
Profile ICQ

Ah wish I had known that, I just reloaded to before rivet city and finished arefu before going to do GNR. Is it worth it to do the full GNR quest, or should I just use speech to get out of running the errands?

Explain "vault diving" I was under the impression that there is just one other vault, and you end up going there as part of the main quest line anyway. Will i not get to that vault if i follow the quest to rivet city and on?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:55 pm

There are other vaults, I think there is a total of 5 vaults in the game.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:38 pm

6 in the game including 101 Afai remember. Once you make a certain mission in the main quest line they all get pegged on your map. 3 of the 6 (counting 101) are included in the main quest line.

It's kind of worth doing the GNR mission, because the museum of tech is an awesome place, and you need that central location (the mall) where all of the museums are for a quick travel. There is one town and like 5-6 mission locations in that little section.

Museum of Tech and Washington monument are for the GNR quest, the Museum of history contains a town so it's safe to explore (as well as a kick ass rifle, hunting rifle that fires .44 rounds). The Lincoln memorial is part of a quest, as is One of the others that I forget about.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

( Obligatory Semi-Murderous Zero Punctuation Review )

Wow... I think Mikey likes it.

Between your descriptions and the fact that Yahtzee, the professional assassin of RPG's, seems to give it about as close to a positive review as he dares come, I may actually look into this myself. I can't remember the last time I played a SP RPG and enjoyed it.

I think the original Alone in the Dark was the last one - back when papier-mâché graphic characters on GIF backdrops seemed high tech - and I could still giggle with glee every time my little sister screamed and hid under the keyboard with every tell-tale orchestral strike. (Yes, even in the Christmas themed mini-game.) :D
"Never trust a Game Master with a big smile." - D&D Advice #12
Thothie

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next