Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures 

I know the majority of people here don't play MMORPGs but this one is worth giving a shot.

AoC is the first mature rated MMO to ever be released, this means no censoring on the gore and titties. The game is open world pvp, with end game pvp being guild warfare (this means guilds can actually own land/build cities and seige neighboring cities.

What really sets AoC apart from every other MMO I've played is the combat system. For the most part, combat is all collision based much like in an action/adventure hack and slash game, however it's different because it's constantly adaptive. There are 5 different directional buttons to swing your weapons at different areas of your opponent. Your target can switch their guard stance to focus more of their guard on one side of their body. This means you will constantly have to adapt your attacks to compensate for their guard. Special attacks (called combos) can be performed by satisfying a sequence of consecutive attacks. It's a little hard to explain in depth, but I will say it's a very impressive combat system, completely twitch in design. (mean no auto attack and very fast paced)

The graphics are amazing, quests are good, and the pvp is very satisfying. I highly recommend this game if you're a fan of MMOs or just rpgs in general. It's a completely different experience from any MMO I have ever played in the past.

If you're interested let me know, I'm currently playing on Doomsayer (pvp ruleset).

Be warned though, the game is very graphic intensive, I had to build a new computer just to get it to run. If your pc is out of date, probably best to hold off to save yourself a world of frustation.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 am

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:12 am
Site Admin

this means no censoring on the gore and titties

More right wing propaganda!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/03/age-o ... ng-breasts

;)

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW

LoL I hadn't noticed that, but I play a male character. I found a girl chained to a wall with her shirt ripped off last night, her titties looked ok.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:49 pm

"Your breasts should be back to normal soon."

awesome this is an official reply

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:19 am

The game is amazingly fun and it's probably had one of the smoothest MMO launches I've ever experienced. Almost no downtime, almost everything works, few class balance issues, few broken quests/abilities/area issues and a few content issues, but other than that the core gameplay is there and very solid.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:00 am

is there a low graphics setting? this looks like the game i've been waiting for

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:09 am

Yes there is, however, most of my friends are playing with low graphics and get between 4 and 33 fps on year to 2 year old machines. I believe one of my friends is running it on an athlon 64 3200 and an nvidia 7800 agp, and he has complained that it doesn't run extremely well and is looking into upgrades. From what i understand the game is not very well graphically optimized yet.

I am running the following

3.0 ghz intel core 2 duo wolfdale dual core
Nvidia 8800 GTS 512mb
4gigs DDR2 1066

and I get anywhere from 33-120fps depending on the scenery, what's going on around me, number of people etc. I also have bloom turned on which drops my fps down around 10fps on average.

I have no complaints on how it runs on my machine, but as i said, i literally just built it 2 weeks ago.

If you have a machine over 2 years old, I wouldn't recommend playing this without an upgrade, even on low graphics. They also recommend you have at least 30 gigs of free space on your hard drive to dedicate o the game. The install is around 15 gigs, and while it was in beta i remember downloading a few 14 gig patches. Since its release however, the largest patch i've downloaded was like 1.2 gigs.

It is in fact an excellent game, if you like the idea of RPGs but have always shyed away from them because you found their gameplay to be boring and repetitive, this might be the game for you. The gameplay is very fun and requires alot interaction/reaction time etc.

oh on gameplay, I forgot to mention the fatality system.
If you finish off an enemy (npc or player) with a combo there is a chance you will do a fatality, in which your character will brutally murder the enemy player with a cool fatality animation. Aside from humiliating your opponent, performing a fatality gives you a nice character buff for like 10 seconds afterwards. The fatalities are really pretty cool and they differ from class to class ranging from everything from decapitations to the removal and ingestion of the enemy heart.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:20 am

2 gigs ~4 cas ram
512 x1650 pro semi-fried

im guessing i would have to replace my gfx card anyway, since running hl2 and above games on full resolution artifacts and then crashes after 30-40 minutes

eh, not like i have any money anyway

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:17 pm

hey man I'm just happy I'm not on dial up, not on windows ME, and can get 99 fps in hl

my comp needs an upgrade

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:22 pm

now's a good time, dual cores are coming down in price now that quad cores are becoming more popular, and the 8800GTS is down in price because of the release of the 9800 series,

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:04 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:13 pm
Site Admin

Meh, if only I didn't hate MMORPG's so much... Even though I've been working on one for the past two years. >_>
"The Goth thing started when kids started taking themselves too seriously and started building in a Dungeons and Dragons aesthetic. Wearing tight leather pants and cowboy hats, pretending they lived in castles drinking from goblets..." - Andy Capper, Editor of Bizarre magazine
Thothie

Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

minus the working on one for two years...

Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:13 am

Meh they're just video games, a different genre from FPS sure, but no different really. Time spent gaming is time spent gaming. Doesn't matter if its an FPS, MMO, or Bishojo. It's all time that could have been better spent doing something productive.

Conan is all about pvp with emphases on twitch combat, so really it's the same concept as an FPS only with character progression (and tits).

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next