Poll ended at Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:03 am
UT 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
UT2K4 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5

UT Vs. UT2K4 

Please voice your opinion in the matter via the poll

Capslock for the win!

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:03 am

Well... I'm not sure why you just wouldn't buy UT3. But with those choices, UT2k4 has loads more content, game modes, better graphics, more playable characters, and just more game in general than UT. I really think UT2k4 was my favorite in the series. There really is no contest between UT and UT2k4, 2k4 is just a better game.

That's like asking, "should I buy a Geforce 4 TI 4200 or a 7800 GT?"

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:08 am
Site Admin

The shame seems to be that they've spent all that money to invest into a new engine and they can't put enough into the flagship game to make it a compelling buy. Failed in the game play department evidently. (Although watching it at my friends house, not that great in graphics either, but there was nothing really wrong with the graphics in U2K4, and there’s only so much you can do with the wide field POV games like UT and Tribes use. Graphics just aren’t important in those types of shooters.)

U2k4 had some nice mods... There was once server with node-unlocking play mode and deployable turrets with sh*tloads of options that was really entertaining. Sadly I quit playing after that server switched it up so getting materials to build these things was next to impossible, and no one played hardly any of the mods. Damn game's been sitting on shelf for about three years now, keep not getting around to reinstalling it, so maybe it wasn’t *that* great after all. – On the other hand, the mod situation has likely improved dramatically since then. Most of the lack of folks in mods seemed to be caused by a faulty installer system. Some of the mods were really good, so that was a crime in and of itself.

U2k4 had some of the fastest action ever, and while one of the complaints of the new engine is that it is sluggish, the vehicle controls seem to remain. This game has by far the most enjoyable vehicles of any mod. None of this “realistic flight mode + mouse = phayleâ€

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:51 am
Profile YIM WWW

Oh UT3 vs UT2k4? Hmm that's a hard choice. They eliminated some of my favorite game modes from UT2k4 in UT3, other than a graphics overhaul they really did very little for UT3 other than add some really cool vehicles.

The only thing I can say UT3 probably has going for it over UT2k4 other than the graphics and vehicles is the fact that it's not a dead game yet where as I would doubt there is that much in the way of UT2k4 servers anymore.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:47 pm

OG ut vs 2k4

one is 10, the other is 15

I kinda like oldschool UT, but it might be dead

2k4 is kinda toony, but I can dig it

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:31 pm

original UT is almost certainly dead, and for 5$ more you get twice the game.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:40 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-32129126

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 pm
Site Admin

Wonder how many of those actually run on a modern PC. ;)

I was never impressed with the original Unreal series... Thought Quake2 had better play... UT2k4 was pretty good though, even without the mods. (Keep being tempted to reinstall...)

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]