Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Heavenly Sword 

I doubt anyone cares about this review, but if anyone does have a ps3 they should deffinately check this one out. For some reason IGN completely trashed this game in its review. The rest of the media gave it around an 8 out of 10 on the average. Personally i would have given it an 8.5 or an 8.7

Visually this game is absolutely stunning. I've never played another hack and slash that has ever looked this good and a good combat system to boot. On top of that, the voice acting is top notch, they used the guy who played golum to do the motion capture for the main villian in the game. The game just looks amazing, sounds amazing, and the story isn't terrible. The combat system is extremely well developed, its based on 3 stances, combos, and counter attacks. You can button mash through most of the game, but there are certain parts where if you try to button mash you're likely to get your ass handed to you, especially the boss fights. Best to learn the combat system, its very asthetically rewarding as well.

The downsides.
1. Short, deffinately a rental. While the game has some unlockables, an unlockable difficulty setting, the game is still only around 6 hours each time you play through it, and there is no multiplayer or anything.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:17 pm

IGN blows anyway.

Indeed, well I usually agree on them with most of their reviews, or at least I used to, but lately its become pretty apparent that their reviewers are bias towards the xbox 360, so they automatically knock a point off just for being on the ps3. Personally I think this console war has gotten quite ridiculous and out of hand.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:41 am
Jigglyroom Admin

There's a war now? I could have sworn Nintendo was laughing their way to the bank, while Sony's R&D division tried to find a way to fuck themselves up the ass.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:24 am

There's a war now? I could have sworn Nintendo was laughing their way to the bank, while Sony's R&D division tried to find a way to fuck themselves up the ass.

The way is mainly between 360 owners and PS3 owners. Nintendo is in a classification all its own. Nintendo wins because they appeal to kids and price themselves affordably. Unfortuantely for me, I would never own a wii as a primary gaming system. It would be a waste of money imo. From what I've seen its just a system of party games and mario galaxy. Party games are never fun if you play them by yourself, most of them aren't even fun if you play them with a group of people. Also, I'm not a fan of their gimmicky controller. There's only so much that thing can do, and the majority of games that do come out for the system that aren't party games will be awkwardly shoe horned to fit the controller.

As for the 360 and the PS3, the 360 owners rave that they have the better system because there are more titles for the 360 than for the ps3. Since this is all they have to justify their system's superiority, they knock any game that comes out for the PS3, because god forbid the ps3 actually have a good title to compete.

PS3 owners on the other hand try to justify the amount of money they paid out their ass by claiming their system is superior in graphics capabilities and the fact that its a blu ray disc player. While this is true, people who bought the first generation of the console gfor 600$ did get hosed pretty bad considering that their top of the line model now costs 500$. The system is more powerful and capable of doing more, but because of the higher production costs for the games and the difficulty of complexity of the ps3 game developing software, there are a good deal fewer titles.

Now that some good titles are coming out for the PS3 that can compete with the xbox, microsoft fanboys just can't say enough negative things about the games, after all nothing can over match the unbridled divinity of master cheif.

Last edited by TheDoc on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 am
Jigglyroom Admin

You're half right. Nintendo does largely aim for a younger audience, yes, but that's not even remotely why the Wii is so amazingly successful. It's actually penetrated into the heretofore completely untouched markets of your mom and retirement homes and the like. And most gamers do or intend to own either a 360 or a PS3... and a Wii. It really is the party console, to be sure, and while I agree that Nintendo isn't "competing" with Sony or Microsoft this time around, the simple fact is that they continue to make the only profitable console.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:49 am

I don't think that's true, I think the 360 has done very well. The ps3 on the other hand damn well near priced itself out of the market. Well... not near, it did price itself out of the market. But now with the price drop, and finally the release of some decent exclusives, I think its going to make a comeback. It still won't match the wii as far as sales goes, but i think it will do better than the 360 this year.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 am
Site Admin

Consoles are still evil… But I’ll give the Wii points for being innovative evil. While PS3/Xbox are the same-ol-same-ol, just prettier.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

The 360 is doing well? Their game division has been operating at a loss for as long as it's existed, to my knowledge. They turn a profit something like one quarter in four, and the only reason they have anything special to report this time around is Halo 3.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:11 pm

indeed. Microsoft has posted loses for the xbox devision pretty much every year since its inception. I think it was profitable for the last year of the original xbox's life but with the production costs of the 360 that fell off.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:20 pm

hmm, I thought microsoft was doing well with the 360. I can't even imagine the loss sony has taken from the ps3.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:33 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

They're not doing so well. $841 million, anyone?

Last I'd heard - and this was some time ago, mind you - Sony's game division was making a profit every other quarter.

Last edited by Black Sun on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:44 pm

hmm, I thought microsoft was doing well with the 360. I can't even imagine the loss sony has taken from the ps3.

Microsoft is doing well from a market share point of view. Thay have sold a good number of boxes and have a large number of live subscribers. Their plan is to make back lost money with live.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Was the plan really any different for the original Xbox? I never even so much as glanced at one, but I seem to recall Live being around pretty much it's entire lifetime, as well.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Nope same plan. Though they did expand it with the 360 to include online sales of game content, movies, etc...
And while on the topic of game content sales it really does show just how shitty the gaming thing has become. Patches now cost money :/

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next