Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
TimeShift 
Jigglyroom Admin

I think I may have had an even more unpleasant install experience, too. I once spent something like three days, many hours a day, working on a game to get it to a level I considered playable. I think, in the end, I actually spent more time trying to make it worth playing than I did playing it. That was a miserable week. The game? Oblivion.

Now, I should mention that there weren't any glaring technical issues causing the problem. There were just so very, VERY many aspects of that games design that I find abhorrent that I just couldn't bear to play it. There were, however, a number of mods out there to fix all these problems. Of course, even just finding the mods is an adventure in itself, and then installing them in such a way that they don't cause conflicts that fubar the game on top of that...

The worst part of it all, though, was at the end. Having logged maybe 15 hours in game, I realized that it wasn't my kind of game. All plot, and exploration, no real character development to speak of. I should have expected that going in, as I never got into Morrowind 3 for the same reasons. :oops:

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:02 am

Haha, I've had similar issues trying to get Oblivion to work with the thousands of different mods out there.

I liked Oblivion a lot, but I wasn't expecting emotional character development either.

I played Morrowind (ES3) and bent it over like it was my whore, and it was nice to do the same thing again with a better graphics engine and more immersive gameplay in Oblivion.

Playing both of those games, the appeal for me was: "Ooh, I'm in a sandbox, let's see what I can do!" If you put all these tasty barriers in my way, and then remove most of the games ability to invoke the "I'm the game you can't do that" law, I'm going to have a blast.

--Locane

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:46 am

I've wanted to play oblivion forever. I loved morrowind but i never finished it before my game corrupted and I no longer had the install disc. One of my exes bought morrowind for the xbox a few years ago and it made me want to play again, but then we broke up and i never gave it a second thought.

I would love to play oblivion but im not sure my current computer can handle it, my ps3 however should do the trick. The only thing is, buying the ps3 version probably removes a good majority of the sandbox element. I remember one of the things I liked so much about morrowind was the fact that you could adjust character values in the console, which i would take advantage of from time to time. I imagine you cannot do that in the console releases.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:31 pm

I've wanted to play oblivion forever. I loved morrowind but i never finished it before my game corrupted and I no longer had the install disc. One of my exes bought morrowind for the xbox a few years ago and it made me want to play again, but then we broke up and i never gave it a second thought.

I would love to play oblivion but im not sure my current computer can handle it, my ps3 however should do the trick. The only thing is, buying the ps3 version probably removes a good majority of the sandbox element. I remember one of the things I liked so much about morrowind was the fact that you could adjust character values in the console, which i would take advantage of from time to time. I imagine you cannot do that in the console releases.

Download it man. Hell, if you lived anywhere near seattle I could bring it to your house.

--Locane

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2