Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Bioshock 
Jigglyroom Admin

Electric buckshot is your friend. Beyond that, I don't recall much about the first fight w/ a Big Daddy, save that it was a pain in the ass the first time around.

He's a man who won't fit in.

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:57 pm

Yep, pain in the ass but I got em. Not really sure what I did but he died. I think I'm on the fishery level (maybe just past it) and there is 3 lil sisters on this level that I still need to deal with. Has anyone finished bioshock yet? Should I harvest the lil sisters or rescue them? I rescued the first one and harvested the 2nd. It says they'll make it worth it if you rescue em...

Oh yeah, I've only got 1 round of elec buckshot. Thats all i've seen so far. I'm not even sure if I can buy em yet.. I may be able to, but I'm broke at the moment..

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:35 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

It pretty much balances out, whether you choose to harvest the little sisters or rescue them. You get less ADAM for rescuing them, but after you rescue a few of them, Tennenbaum will leave you a "present" at a Gatherer's Garden w/ extra ADAM, and usually a few other goodies (ammo, bonus plasmids, etc...) Mostly it just affects the ending.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:26 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Overall, you do get slightly less for rescuing them, but she also gives you special upgrades that let you force big daddies to assist you for a while, too.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:57 pm

Three prime endings. "Good" you can only get if you save them all, "evil" if you harvest them all, "Mostly evil" if you harvest some of them. the two "evil" endings are pretty much the same, 'cept the tone of the narration changes.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Jigglyroom Admin

Ugh, that was the one thing that soured the game for me. The endings. Or rather, the sheer contrast between the endings. When I played through, I rescued all the little brats, and I liked the "good" ending, but the evil/sad ending(s) went a bit far for me, IMO. It's like the game implies that brutality, ruthlessness, cold practicality, whatever you want to call it, necessarily descends into megalomania and grandiose schemes for power. Or what if you harvest one kid and save the rest? Same ending. Overall, the much-touted "morality" aspect of the game hinges on one set of actions alone, which leads to a very black and white outcome. If life has taught me anything, it's that nothing is so simple.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:58 pm

Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:43 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

And movies are just movies, and books are just books, and all are nothing more than entertainment. Yet, I would like to see a little more depth in my media of choice. Is it too much to ask for a little moral ambiguity from time to time? For people to do horrible things with the noblest of goals in mind? I, for one, am utterly fed up with everything always being so damn black and white.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:29 pm

And movies are just movies, and books are just books, and all are nothing more than entertainment. Yet, I would like to see a little more depth in my media of choice. Is it too much to ask for a little moral ambiguity from time to time? For people to do horrible things with the noblest of goals in mind? I, for one, am utterly fed up with everything always being so damn black and white.

Second.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:05 am

Yep, I like this game, it's probably my fav. I almost wish I would have bought this before I bought the Orange Box. HL2 is great, but it's way too short. If it included episode 1 & 2 as a part of the original HL2 then it woulda been worth it. The only thing I seem to like from The Orange Box so far is Portals. I've been playing TF2 and I'm not really impressed. It's not the fact that it dosent have gernades, it's that you die almost instantly as ANY class. And it seems that everyone playing it is retarded. It seems to me like everyone is playing it on XBOX and not PC. Dosent really seem like anyone has played TFC or knows what the hell they're supposed to do, they just run around w/o a clue.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:19 am
Jigglyroom Admin

No kidding! Grand total of what, 20 hours for HL2, ep 1, and ep 2? Ep 1 was so pitiful. About five hours to beat, and the entire plot can be summed up in one brief sentence.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:35 am

this thread now sums up the simplification of games to appeal to a larger audience. Sucks don't it.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:25 am
Site Admin

…Although I would point out that if you CAN save all the little girls in a given situation, and you choose to kill one of them out of convenience, that’d be defacto evil. ;) But I dun have the game and am unaware of the particulars of this particular moral conundrum, so I’ll stfu on that score.

I think game writers are aiming for the black and white world for the same reason the cartoon writers do (in America, anyways) – they are aiming at a young audience. It is generally believed that it is best to force your children to live in a black and white world for as long as possible, so it makes it easier for them to tell the difference between good and evil, and more importantly, easier to brain wash them into certain beliefs when the time comes. Sadly, lots of kids never recover from that onslaught, and grow up thinking the world is black and white as well. This usually leads to extreme maladjustment, and a warped view of the world making them eager to do horrible evil things in the name of good.

Personally I think it's the greatest disservice we do to our children which pervades all forms of media, and among the many reasons I refuse to raise any in this day in age. But aside from that, it defies the statistical demographic of videogames – it’s like they are trying to bend the demographic back toward a younger audience. Cuz these bitter Gen Y-X’s don’t enjoy this cardboard crap much, but they also are more likely to leave the market in favor of… raising children.

In other words:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... n-BioShock

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

…Although I would point out that if you CAN save all the little girls in a given situation, and you choose to kill one of them out of convenience, that’d be defacto evil. But I dun have the game and am unaware of the particulars of this particular moral conundrum, so I’ll stfu on that score.

I'm not arguing that it's still evil if you kill one and save the others, my point is rather that it does not de facto make you a irredeemable, slavering, baby-eating monster bent on world domination as the game would have you believe.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:27 pm
Site Admin

“Some sort of hybrid between Hitler and Skeletor who's very piss is pure liquid malevolence?”

I dunno what sort of world leader you get when you build them off a character who’s willing to kill a little girl to save him some trouble. Mayhaps more along the ones we have than that though. ;)

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next