Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Tell me about Company of Heroes 
Dear Leader

Haven't bought a game for a while and the reviews seem overwhelmingly positive. Figured you guys have seen/played it. Any raves/rants? What seems to be realistic system requirements for CoH?

Thanks!

Neontown's shining star,

-JP

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:59 pm
Profile WWW

Well if you played Warhammer Dawn of War, the engine is pretty similar (I believe its the same developer). As I'm sure you already know its an RTS set in WWII times. The graphics are good, the explosions are cool, and the game is challenging.

Its a really good RTS and a very good game all around, Doc recommends.

Also I'm able to run it on my Athlon xp 2700+ with a gig of PC2700 and an Radeon 9700 Pro. The only time I see slowdown is when there is an insane number of units and explosions on my screen. Even then, slowdown is pretty minimal.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:12 am

I have it, its a great game. I play it more than I do NS, only time I basically play ns is when I get pissed while playing online or I have connection problems with the servers. It is made by THQ and Relic, the graphics are nice, if you have a fast rig. You can go to youtube and watch a lot of videos of the gameplay if you want. I have the same problem I think as you Doc, or it might be my isp I have cause I played a 2 vs 2 online and it was choppy and laggy. As for realism, its not that great, like m1 grand sucking at range vs the kar98 German rifle and taking a Tiger 4 shots or more to kill a Sherman. Then again its a game and games can never be made as real as possible or else they would suck and no one would play them right?

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:25 pm

I love CoH, although it is a downer when it comes to LAN games. Yes there are only two "races" but only two teams ? come on. There is only team 1 or team 2, no mod or option out there to make more separate teams.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Hhhhhmmmm explain, so it cant be like battle royal madness?

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:45 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

If you like RTSs at all, you owe it to yourself to get this game. It is, however, something of a system hog. My bro runs it on a P4 3.0 GHz, ATI 9800XT, 1 GB PC3200 RAM w/o problems, tho he has to turn it down a bit.

As for online play, Relic's been having a few issues lately, but they seemed mostly cleared up when I played w/ my bro last weekend. I'm pretty sure if your game's that choppy, ZOE, it's because if your connection, not the game.

As for realism... IT'S A GAME. The sides are getting pretty balanced. They used to be REAL fucked up, but it's getting better.

ANYWAY, I overwhelmingly recommend this game. As RTSs, or even games in general go, it's tough to beat.

He's a man who won't fit in.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Ya, hopefully next year I will have cable. The AI is pretty damn good too. The zoom ability is great when you just want to watch them fight, same with watching replays, and allowing you to slow it down or speed it up.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:32 pm

Hmmm what company's do you play with Iron? Lately I have been having a lot of luck and wins with Inf company. Off map reinforcements is handy, help me push back repeated base assaults from a blitz player who first used lvl 3 veteran stugs then Tigers and lvl 3 storms, those buggers cant get suppressed by a allied machine gun......

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:19 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

I play Axis, almost exclusively. When I do, I usually play either Defensive or Terror. Def, because reinforcing from bunkers can be a godsend in the early part of the game, and because 88's can be monsters at breaking up both infantry and armour assaults. They've got such crazy range that you can keep them far enough behind the front lines that they're out of direct view and even mortar fire. Oh, and registered artillery. It's relatively cheap, and whatever squad is attempting to take a point is pretty much guaranteed dead.

Terror's my second choice just because it's the most well-rounded of the Axis doctrines. You've got offmap artillery, heavy armour, propaganda, and of course, the V1. Drop one on an Allied base and it's game over, baby!

He's a man who won't fit in.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:03 am

It's a great game if you like the current trend of micro-managed RTS's. I played through the SP and it was fun.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:18 am
Profile ICQ

My only gripe is that it's extremely micro heavy. You can adjust positions, direction of attacks, orientations, cover, and a whole slew of really cool and strategic things, but you've got to do them for every battle and still tech up and produce a good blend of units.

Not to mention each squad you produce is practically unlosable or else you're put behind.

So, it's solid, it's shiny, and fun, but run from it like the plague if you hate microing. Get Supreme Commander instead if you like giant battles and minimal micro.

However, both CoH and Sup Commander are system hogs zomg, Sup Commander is the first game to really take advantage of dual-cores, so if you don't have on you're gonna have fun rendering all those particles of your nuclear explosion in real time. =]

Thu May 31, 2007 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]