Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
mouse disconnects and reconnects 

makes ns and other things not fun

I've changed the usb port it's plugged into, and I've updated the drivers

it's a g5 battlefield edition wired, the cable looks fine.

Also while were at it I left my mother use my fucking computer several months ago and It won't let me stay logged into forums or save my fucking image search preferences on the google. I've peeked thru firefox and can't find a setting that would cause that, and I don't think AVG is getting overzealous. Also it will play with my DPI, I assume this is from the drivers crapping out or something cause it revers to 800 as opposed to 1600 which is where I have it normally

[edit]
As far as the browser goes, it remembers my login names and passwords it just doesn't keep me logged in

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
[/edit]

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:15 pm
Site Admin

Try uninstalling the mouse drivers and relying on Microsoft's generic drivers.

If that works, you may lose access to some of the extra buttons. If this is the case, you'll have to decide which is more important to you: working extra buttons or working mouse.

Some motherboards, even newer ones, require a USB 2.0 upgrade or patch. You may want to head down to your motherboard's manufacturer's website and see if there are any additional driver/chipset packages available.

The last common issue is that the USB ports are often set into power saving mode when they should not be... I can't recall where the option is in Vista exactly, but it should be somewhere similar.

Right Click My Computer->Properties (or Control Panel->System)
Panel: Hardware ->Button: Device Manager

Scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" on the hardware tree, expand.

Double Click on any USB Root hubs/devices (there'll probably be a lot), click on the Power Management panel, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power." - repeat for each entry.

If none that works, it is new mouse teim. :)

TAK wrote:
Also while were at it I left my mother use my fucking computer several months ago and It won't let me stay logged into forums or save my fucking image search preferences on the google. I've peeked thru firefox and can't find a setting that would cause that, and I don't think AVG is getting overzealous.

Check your cookie settings. With Firefox, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. Use a Firefox Cleaner in-between those two steps, as Firefox tends not to remove its registry entries properly. Also check your IE security settings, as some versions of Firefox are restricted by them.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:05 am
Profile YIM WWW

forgot to mention xp sp2 never touched ie on this computer.

all the usb ports were in power save mode, lets see if this changes things

[edit]
and it doesn't next step is to mobo upgrade, and after that I'm going to uninstall logitechs crap drivers even though I updated those as well
[/edit]

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 am
Site Admin

Logitech drivers are among those known to do this sort of thing. I once knew of some third-party fan-made drivers that resolved the issue, but the page where I saw them seems to have gone dead. :\ (Although the stuff on this page looks related.)

...and just because you never touched IE does not mean its settings have not been changed - 'specially if your mumsi took some advice from some security page while you were out. Windows Update likes to do fun things to IE's default security settings too. I'd open it up and fiddle with the default settings - maybe add the domains in question to your trusted list - and see if that fixes Firefox's cookie hating ways.
"I've exhausted all the lengths of debauchery of Freudian paths, exploring them all thoroughly to their pitiful ends. I simply have no more relatives or childhood memories with which to fuck." - Cynthia
Thothie

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW

interestingly enough I turned my computer on just now and I noticed my mouse turned off for a few second before windows was loaded

¬_¬

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 pm
Site Admin

Might just be the way your system initializes USB ports. Some systems power USB ports off and on during the boot phase, and then Windows does its own initialization thang.

Tis one thing I forgot to mention - you should check your BIOS and make sure Legacy USB support is enabled and all that jazz. ...and also that there are no additional power saving features on that side.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

so uninstalling the crappy logitech setpoint and running on windows drivers doesn't fix the issue, however my mouse worked flawlessly (for hours) on my buddies vista machine

[edit]
and I see nothing in the bios
[/edit]

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:17 pm

so logitech is replacing my mouse with a newer model cause mine is discontinued

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:59 pm

where is a good firefox cleaner, it still hates cookies

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am
Site Admin

I've yet to find a good Firefox cleaner that does it all... The best one I know of seems to have its link gone dead.

Best I can do is give ye these step by step manual instructions:

1. Make sure you can view hidden/system files and folders.

2. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP; or Control Panel>Programs & Features in Windows Vista, and if a 'Mozilla Firefox' entry (or similar) exists, select it and click Change/Remove and uninstall it. During uninstallation, tick the 'Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations' box as well - note that this will delete all of your bookmarks and saved settings, so make sure you've backed up your bookmarks and also note down any passwords which you might otherwise forget.

3. Find and remove all Firefox/Mozilla-related entries in the Windows Registry. Using the Windows Registry Editor (Start>Run>Regedit), delete any of the following keys if they exist - that is, right click on their name in the left pane of Registry Editor and select Delete:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\firefox.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxURL]

4. Rename (or delete) the Firefox folder in the default profile path (or move it to a backup location). For example, on Windows XP, click the "Start" button, select "Run", type in %APPDATA% and click "OK" to open the hidden "Application Data" folder, then open the "Mozilla" folder and rename the "Firefox" folder.

Caution: Make sure that you rename the entire Firefox profile folder, which includes the profiles.ini file that keeps track of profiles. Do not simply rename or delete the profile folder that contains your user data, as doing so can result in a "profile in use" or "already running" message when you next attempt to run Firefox (bug 278860).

Note: If you also have Mozilla Thunderbird or any other Mozilla products installed, make sure to only delete entries under the keys above which specifically relate directly to Firefox by name.

Also delete:

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\FIREFOX* files

(XP)
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

(Additionally, in Vista):
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:32 pm

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]