Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Problem with network 

Yes I am a network n00b

My problem is that my household runs IPTV concurrently with my internet.

Now, this is what I am trying to do since my router is in the basement, as I am tired of my wireless dropping out due to signal strength:

1) I have two dynamic IP addresses available with my internet

2) I have a TV and a computer in the basement

3) I have a TV on the main floor, and I wish to have a wireless router broadcasting on the main floor as well.

At present, here is what I have tried to do to hook up the internet:

1) Phone line into ADSL modem

2) ADSL modem into hub

3a) Hub into basement router, which feeds to the basement TV and to the basement work computer

3b) Hub into main floor router, which feeds to the main floor TV

Now, here is my problem:

When a TV is on, the router it is connected to stops broadcasting a useable wireless signal. As in I do not see the wireless signal at all. However, when I turn the television off, that router's wireless signal works again, and I can connect and use it fine.

Furthermore, the weird thing is that if I hardwire my laptop into any one of the ports on the router while the respective television is on, the internet will WORK.

This is what confuses me:

On the 'installation' set up, they gave me an all in one router/modem that had ALL of the televisions (basement and main floor TVs) hooked up to it, as well as the basement computer CAT-5 wired to it, as well as the two second floor computers wirelessly connected to it. On this setup, the wireless worked perfectly (with the exception of signal degradation due to distance) even with the televisions on. The problem is that the telephone company has a software lock on the router/modem to prevent it from being used exclusively as a router (meaning unless I have the incoming phone line plugged into the ADSL-in port, the router will not work properly.

Now, I know some of you guys on here are real computer gurus, so I was hoping one of you could help me solve my problem. I really do not want to have to run CAT-5 cable all the way from my second story to my basement (it would be easier, too, for me to run CAT-5 from my 2nd floor to my main floor without having to screw around with cable tunnelling).

Thanks in advance!

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Why the hub between the modem and the router? It's over 100 feet?

Why not just be a boss and fish your cable down the wall to the basement if that is where the router has to be

The router your using isn't the all in one they gave you?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:33 am

That is strange, I can't think of a reason why your wireless would stop broadcasting because you had a tv on, especially if you still get a wired signal out of the same router. It doesn't sound like a problem I've ever dealt with.

The closest thing I can think of, is some newer wireless devices can cause older routers to restart when they attempt to connect to them. The wireless signal then returns within a few momemts. The easiest way I found to solve that issue was to update the firmware in the router itself, but this doesn't sound like the same problem.

I say start small, upgrade the firmware in your router and see if that makes a difference. Depending on what type of router/modem it is, it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

In order to do this you'll have to access the router interface by typing in the router's ip into a web browser. In general, the default router IPs tend to be either 192.168.1.1 (linksys, 2wire) or 192.168.0.1 (d-link, netgear). Once there it should prompt you for a username and password. In general its something simple like admin, admin. Once agin it depends on your router manufacturer. I know 2wire puts its pin on a sticker on the router itself. It will help to know what kind of router you own or if you have an instruction manual that might have come with it.

Once you've entered into the router's interface, its just a matter of finding out how to update your router's firmware. Some actually have an option that will automatically check for updates, for some you'll have to visit the manufacturer's website, manually download the firmware update, and then load it on the router yourself. Even so, its not that difficult.

That's the best advice I know to give you, as I can't think of an actual reason as to why the television would cause your wireless signal to disappear but not a wired one.

Perhaps someone here with a higher tech level than myself (thoth, etc.) would know more. Until then good luck, and if worse comes to worse you can always just drop a cable. It's not really as difficult as you might think.
Or alternatively, you might consider buying a new router, and bridging the one you currently have to just use it as a modem. But if the router is not the problem, you could potentially end up wasting your money.

Last edited by TheDoc on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:04 am

It boggled me as to why it would reset as well, but I think doc is on the right path... I'm just a lowly 1/2 CCNA

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:11 pm

higher tech level
life=rpg

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 am

THOOTHHIIEEE CAN YOU HELP MEEEE?

I've tried updating firmwares and using either the DLink or Netgear router I have as well, but same problem with both :(

Is it bad that all the activity indicator on all the ports on the router flash whenever the TV is on?

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:18 pm
Site Admin

I think what we have here is a case of "weird proprietary sh*t", which is designed to stop you from using it in certain ways, and thus tends to stop you from using it in entirely legitimate ways. (See also: why no one buys CD's anymore.)

Sadly, I think the only way around this is to get some non-proprietary hardware, and/or a new ISP that does not require said.

You can fiddle with the channel the wireless router is using (if it'll let you), or you can use a signal duplicator/repeater/extender (like so) to bypass the TV or allow you to go back to your original setup (signal repeaters = end of signal degradation), but it is all a gamble with this temperamental custom protected crap they've stuck you with.
"Tragedy struck today in Sector 9 as rebel terrorists blew up the Death Star killing thousands. The Rebel Alliance, a fringe group of Anti-Empire fanatics, has claimed responsibility for the terrorist act. Fortunately Lord Vader escaped without harm. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims." - NewsRadio (1997)
Thothie

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I have no desire to pull cabling through my house :(

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:32 pm
Site Admin

Like I said, ye can try a repeater... But really, pulling wires through the house is half the fun of owning one - lest yer renting, and have a large cleaning deposit... ;)

I recommend the Airlink AP311W - I've had some good experience using it to pirate weak and distant wireless signals when I was stuck at Lady X's dad's house, and needed some broadband. It's *fairly* easy to configure, and pretty dynamic. Tis about $50. If ye buy it at a local store, ye can always return it, if it don't work for ye.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW

yeah I figured it was something like thoths post, but I didn't want to jump into the fray and look like more of a moron

be a man, string some cable in the walls, or just be lazy and get some temp cable runs

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]