Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Rate Settings 

J/W if anyone has any suggestions for rate settings I can use at the JR, seeing how I'm having problems with hit regs / lag sometimes.

As far as rate settings go, there is rate, cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, cl_interp, cl_extrap....any others I'm missing?

I believe I am on 3 MB/s DSL (yes, I know it's 'slow' :P) streamed wirelessly into my laptop (I am not sure how to run a CAT5 cable from my basement onto my second storey). Comp specs....do I really need to provide these?

Thanks!

Cheers,

FB

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:12 am
Site Admin

Your 3MB bandwidth isn't going to affect your gaming none, as even with 512k free DSL, the game will only use a fraction of your bandwidth. (Obvious exception: You are downloading pr0n)

It's more about distance from the hub, distance from the server, turn around time, and the efficiency of your machine/connection type/network... And that wireless is going to screw you some.

I can give ye some numbers to start with, but the wireless is going to be quite a wild card, and you'll have to play with the settings with the netgraph on to make them optimal. So set net_graph 1 and see how you do.

rate - 10000-20000
Server may cap you at 10k in any case. If you get lag in battle situations, you may lower this. If you get choke (net_graph 3), raise it.

cl_updaterate – 30
This should match the server’s sv_maxupdaterate value (which in our case, is the default: 30). If you get yellow/orange dots on your netgraph, you can lower this value.

cl_cmdrate - 100 (+/- 25) (or around your FPS)
Ideally this should match the server’s frame rate, but your frame rate is a factor, and of course the two will never be in sync. If you see red dots at the bottom of the net graph, you’ve set this too low. Blue dots will be sporadic if you set this too high. If you lag in high-activity situations (ie. heavy battle), lower the value. (Mind you, lots of other things may cause this as well). If your FPS drops in battle situations (ie. bad gfx card or ATI), use a value of half your normal FPS instead.

ex_interp – 0.04
This is locked (ignored) in NS, so you don’t need to worry about it. ;) In other mods, set ex_interp 0, and HL will automagically set it optimally, provided your cl_updaterate is correct. Fuxing with this in other mods will have you hitting when firing behind the target, but some old mods use bad default values (like 0.1) and values too low result in the ‘target snapping backwards’ effect in such mods.

cl_smoothtime - 0
If you set this to 0, the server and your client may be *slightly* more likely to be in sync, but interp events will be a bit uglier (ie. Kennedy bullet effect will be more blatant when watching other clients, but less blatant against your own.)
Mistagrimm: I believe 'Shitty ISP Spike' is the technical term." - TFC quote archive

Thothie

Last edited by Saint Thoth on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:05 am
Profile YIM WWW

Seeing how I'm computer dumb (well...not really but compared to quite a few of you), is it possible for me to hook up a second ADSL modem to a regular telephone jack provided I purchase an appropriate line filter for it?

Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:34 am
Site Admin

Only if you never have them both on at the same time.

PS. I fux0red and missed a 0 on rate. :shock:
"Basically, Doom is a (violent) 3D arcade game where you run around in a maze and kill things with shotguns and chainsaws.... After you get tired of killing things, you can run it over a network and kill things together with your friends. After you get tired of that, you can kill your friends." - DOOM FAQ
Thothie

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:09 am
Profile YIM WWW

ex_interp – 0.04
This is locked (ignored) in NS

wat

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:36 am

"Basically, Doom is a (violent) 3D arcade game where you run around in a maze and kill things with shotguns and chainsaws.... After you get tired of killing things, you can run it over a network and kill things together with your friends. After you get tired of that, you can kill your friends." - DOOM FAQ
Thothie

Looks like I have a POTS filter installed where my line comes into my house:

http://www.etool.ca/RENDER/1/16/105/11575.html

Does this mean I won't be able to hook up another DSL modem to the phone line without fuxxoring things up? Or is it possible to do if I buy a filter (logic tells me it won't help since the line is already filtered...)

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:44 am
Site Admin

Quote:
ex_interp – 0.04

wat

Too many h4x0rz setting their ex_interp insanely high to hit fades 5 minutes after they flew by, or below the default to out-react nubs. ;) Plus clan-matches like to make sure everyone has their ex_interp set to the same value for hitbox consistancy, and started making AMX plugins to make sure everyone else had the same values on their servers, but they didn't seem to realize that's only reliable on LAN, causing hitbox behavior even more on crack than usual. (Caused mass chaos in the constie beta tests.)

Quote:
Does this mean I won't be able to hook up another DSL modem to the phone line without fuxxoring things up? Or is it possible to do if I buy a filter (logic tells me it won't help since the line is already filtered...)

If the filter is where the line comes in, and you only have one line, ye should be fine without a filter (again, provided other modem is off.)

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:47 am
Profile YIM WWW

Saint Thoth wrote:

Thothie

Looks like I have a POTS filter installed where my line comes into my house:

http://www.etool.ca/RENDER/1/16/105/11575.html

If you're trying to avoid other people in your house clogging your bandwidth and fucking up your NS game, buy a D-Link wireless gaming router. It will prioritize the packets for half life over anything else, then you don't need to worry about getting a second DSL modem, which i doubt would work anyway.

--Locane

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:27 am

The problem I believe is both latency caused by router distance and signal quality. I am considering hooking up a second DSL router upstairs to run it into a router and then run hard wire CAT5 to my laptop.

Thothie - I'm a bit confused? So this is how my line is - in the basement, in the electrical box area, my phone line feeds directly into the POTS filter. As it stands right now, the ADSL output feeds directly into the current ADSL modem / wireless router (all one piece) that has another (WTF) inline filter. The phone output has a line coming out that (what I presume) feeds all of the phone lines in the rest of the house. None of the phone jacks in my house require filters.

I'm kind of confused because if the line is already pre-filtered, would it mean I am fuxxing my line if I install an ADSL modem on the phone jack upstairs near my room, since I presume the phone lines would no longer be "pure" because I now have ADSL frequencies going through my phone lines.

I guess what it comes down to is:

1) Will using wireless internet affect my gaming latency appreciably?

2) If not, will somehow using a second wireless router to boost the signal (I need to read up on how to do this) or act as a bridge help any with my signal stability and ping?

Sorry for me e-tardedness.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:44 am
Site Admin

Yeah, yer screwed, lest you can remove/re-arrange the filter on your line.

Those wireless DSL gateways usually have a 400 foot range, so, hopefully, you shouldn’t need to boost the signal with an additional wireless router/repeater (or what not), but if you do, it’ll be another potential hurdle to add to your latency.

As Loc points out, if you have other folks in yer house eating bandwith, they will interfere.

As for whether simply being wireless will affect your game play appreciably, it usually will. At best it’ll be within what you can tolerate (lots of folks do it), and at worst, you’ll have random drops (lots of folks do).
"Man has no preeminence above a beast -- for all is vanity." -Ecclesiastes, 3:19
Thothie

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:29 am
Profile YIM WWW

The problem I believe is both latency caused by router distance and signal quality. I am considering hooking up a second DSL router upstairs to run it into a router and then run hard wire CAT5 to my laptop.

Thothie - I'm a bit confused? So this is how my line is - in the basement, in the electrical box area, my phone line feeds directly into the POTS filter. As it stands right now, the ADSL output feeds directly into the current ADSL modem / wireless router (all one piece) that has another (WTF) inline filter. The phone output has a line coming out that (what I presume) feeds all of the phone lines in the rest of the house. None of the phone jacks in my house require filters.

I'm kind of confused because if the line is already pre-filtered, would it mean I am fuxxing my line if I install an ADSL modem on the phone jack upstairs near my room, since I presume the phone lines would no longer be "pure" because I now have ADSL frequencies going through my phone lines.

I guess what it comes down to is:

1) Will using wireless internet affect my gaming latency appreciably?

2) If not, will somehow using a second wireless router to boost the signal (I need to read up on how to do this) or act as a bridge help any with my signal stability and ping?

Sorry for me e-tardedness.

Fireball, I do cable and not DSL, but from what I understand phone lines work like this:

You have a pair, sometimes 2 pairs of lines that run straight from your house to the central hub in the area.

The phone company can run DSL on the same line as your phone because it's using a different frequency spectrum than your "plain old telephone service". The devices are dumb, and do not have a way to tell the difference between the different frequencies, so they require filters to filter out the crap that they don't care about - in the case of the phone, it's the DSL's signals, and in the case of the DSL modem, it's the phone signals.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that you probably can't have more than one DSL modem running on the same wires as another DSL modem, regardless of how many filters you have in place.

The gap in my knowledge is whether or not DSL requires 2 pairs (4 wires) or just 1 pair (2 wires) to operate. If you have 2 phone lines coming in to your place, and somehow DSL manages to just use 1 pair of wires, I would imagine that you could put a second DSL modem on the secondary pair - the pair not being used by anything, but that's speculation.

Call your phone company, and tell them someone has moved into the basement, and they're not associated with you and they took your internet so you want your own. See what they say.

--Locane

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:09 am

erik myers wrote:
Quote:
ex_interp – 0.04

wat

Too many h4x0rz setting their ex_interp insanely high to hit fades 5 minutes after they flew by, or below the default to out-react nubs. ;) Plus clan-matches like to make sure everyone has their ex_interp set to the same value for hitbox consistancy, and started making AMX plugins to make sure everyone else had the same values on their servers, but they didn't seem to realize that's only reliable on LAN, causing hitbox behavior even more on crack than usual. (Caused mass chaos in the constie beta tests.)

Quote:

If the filter is where the line comes in, and you only have one line, ye should be fine without a filter (again, provided other modem is off.)
did some research, looks like they unlocked it in 3.0b5, which explains why from 3.1 on I have distinct memories of messing around with ex_interp. Hell i played with a guy who went by the name "ex_interp 0.01" for at least a month.

unless you have your connection and rates down pat fucking around with interp is just gonna give you a headache anyway (that and most servers can only handle down to .033, after that you're just making everyone teleport around, lol (assuming ex_extrapmax 0, which was always a must for me).

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:40 pm
Site Admin

They unlocked it and locked it again mid-beta. You can prove this by changing ex_interp in console. Note that no matter what you chage it to, the quick look up still says 0.04, and the cvar never returns when you type it. (Typical client-side locked cvar behavior for half-life.)

And most DSL ISP's work on an account basis that the modem must log into, thus you can't have two active modems at the same time, as the account is already in use (nevermind the routing issues).

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:38 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do.

Time to get a new comptuer...this laptop is starting to do some wonky things in HL...

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Not only is the account in use, but the phone circuit can only hold one dsl circuit at a time. Thats why you would need a second phone line ( or use the other twisted pair, with a second phone line on it ), a second dsl account, and second modem.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next