Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
TAK vs. sound problems 

Hello,

I've been having problems with my audio jack in the front of my computer for quite some time, and I'm pretty sure it just died, or is at least to a point where I don't want to keep fiddling with the jack every time I connect and disconnect my headphones.

So I figured I would use the other headphone jack located in the back of the computer, but no sound comes from it. I think it may not be physically connected, as I seem to recall talking with my buddy when we were building my comp and I we got the jack in the front of the case working and left it at that. I just spend about 10 minutes taking the case apart and trying to look at the various connections and jumpers, and I was also looking for the mobo documentation, but I can't find that. Hence why I am here

Anyone got any pointers / protips on what to look for?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Look up your mobo info online, you should be able to find it's doc's there and check your configuration there. They'll probably have a dowloadable manual. It may also be a bios setting to get that jack to work. You using onboard sound or a seperate sound card?

I know I actually dont have my headphone jack hooked up either, I run mine right out of the line out jack on my sound card when I use my headphones, I have to unplug my speakers to do so.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:33 pm

I was gonna look up the mobo info online, as well as poke around the bios, but I wanted a couple of other people to take a look and see something that i missed. It's always good to get other perspective

I'm using onboard sound

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:56 pm

My old man, the comp guru says to check out your mobo documentation, he says there is a "header block or a group of jumpers" on you mobo which have to do with your front panel audio. When your front panel audio is connected to your mobo the wires go to this jumper block/header. When you dont want to use your front panel audio jacks you have to remove the front panel wires from this block and place 2 seperate jumpers in/on 2 specific pair of pins. When those 2 jumpers are on those 2 pair that will enable your rear headphone and microphone jacks. On some newer mobo's the jumpers are not required. If there's no wires attached to the audio header on your mobo, the rear jacks will operate. If your mobo requires the jumpers you'll have to go find your documentation/manual and find the page that tells you how to install the jumpers. If you have a mainstream (Dell, HP, etc..) computer you can order a new front jack and replace the bad one. It should just snap in.

This according to the ol'man.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:41 pm

okay I was in my case earlier and I think I found the jumper block. it has flat cables that is 3-5 wires thick, at the end they terminate in individual jumpers

I couldn't read the lettering on the motherboard, but each jumper had something written on it.

[edit]
p4m800pro-m v1.OA. is my mobo
[edit2]
just spotted a typo in the manual =/
[edit3]
here goes nothing
[edit4]
So I disconnected the front panel audio left and right which was jumper 5/6 and 9/10 respectively

but no dice, so I think I need to put jumpers on them
[edit5]
oh yeah, it's not a mainstream, I went to frys and bought everything then put it all together.
[edit6]
the pins I disconnected were AUD_F_R AUD_RET_R (5&6) and AUD_F_L AUD_RET_L (9&10) so I'm gonna try putting some jumpers on, I just need to get them.
[edit7]
getting jumpers before work, anyone else got any protips? *eyes lawlcane*
[/edit]

Last edited by That Annoying Kid on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Why are you busting open your case again?

The problem is that you're not getting audio out of the front, and you're also not getting audio out of the back.

That seems to indicate to me that you're not getting sound at all. You should check the simple shit first - is your volume muted in windows? Do you have another sound device selected for playback? Is there a volume control or a mute button on your headphones?

Then I would move on to the technical stuff like checking to see if on board sound is enabled, and screwing with pins and jumpers.

--Locane

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 pm

I was getting sound out of the front, I just had to do a bunch of monkeying with the jack that got really annoying.

one sec. No it hasn't been muted in windows, etc

no volume control or mute on headphones, there just really nice over the ears.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Bought 10 jumpers at radioshack for a buck seven, put two on respective pairs

and voila

I'mma go rickroll myself

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:36 pm

So now HL doesn't want to recognize my USB microphone

but steam can, and skype does... but NS is no bueno

any idears people?

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:03 am

USB mic still refuses to work in game, despite being able to hear myself in steams voice test, and it works all day long for skype

my traditional mic works ingame when plugged into now the back of my comp (cause as the thread shows I've disabled front panel audio)

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:28 pm

I have the same problem with usb ports, sound and lan devices; seems like steam is messing with the irc ports or reseting something, a windows' service or daemon, because the random malfunction is after close the hl1 related games and I have to reboot the entire crap for make it work again. WEIRD.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:57 pm
Site Admin

Also trying alt-tab and switching your audio devices in game. Half-life will always try to default to the sound card's microphone.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW

no bueno

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]