Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Half-Life Problem? 

Hey, this is a problem i have in half-life/natural selection. I haven't tried counter strike because its simple existence on my computer would me feel embarassed. But anyway, the problem is that my "loss" goes up immensely the more i set my cmd/up rate. Example:

- When i say up i mean "cl_updaterate" when i say cmd i mean "cl_cmdrate" -

up 20/cmd: 30 loss: 0/1
up 30/cmd: 40 loss: 20/30.

It always spikes at a certain number... Example...

Out: 1.6k/s Loss: 2
Out: 2.2k/s Loss: 35
Out: 2.5k/s Loss: 35
Out: 2.7k/s Loss: 35
Out: 2.8k/s Loss: 70.

My rate doesn't seem to change the packet loss whatsoever. So i usually leave it at 20,000 which is the cap as far as i know.

-- It isn't a network instability issue, i can download a file full stability at 20megs a second and i'm guaranteed atleast 700kbits. However, i only download less than a megabyte unless it is the server's fault.

---- Network/Computer Info

Video: 128mb ATI Radeon 9000.
Processor: 2Ghz AMD Athlon
Ram: 512mb DDR1 Kingston Ram.

Network: Cable, RoadRunner company... 700kbits down/up guaranteed.

-- I'm not wireless, I don't have magnets near my computer and i don't have a microwave in my room near my router. I'm not using WIFI.

--- Yes i know WIFI is wireless, but i've been asked if i was WIFI after being asked if i was wireless before.

------ Extra Info

My Server browser doesn't work either... I use All-Seeing Eye now and if i try to refresh the whole server list i get packet losses of 80-100% sometimes... However, if i go 1 server by the other, i can get the whole list and have a packet loss of 0.

-- Anyway, thanks for reading and hopefully you know my problem :P. I like to give details because i don't want to be arguing with people for days while they are asking me the stupid stuff like, "are you anywhere near a microwave" "are you wireless?" "can you connect to the internet?".

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:37 am

Are you near a microwave? Are you on Wireless?

are you a Final Trout?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:38 pm

theone wrote:
When i say up i mean "cl_updaterate" when i say cmd i mean "cl_cmdrate"

Set it right

http://scripting.elxdraco.net/tools/ratecalc.html

Lower the resolution or tweaking the graphics for get +100+ fps and set fps_max = current fps = fps_modem

Hope helps.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:55 pm

Hey, i set my rates to what it said from the site and it made my loss massive. My IN was 9kbps and my out was like 6-7kbps but my loss was up at 70 and my choke went to 10 ><. Thx tho :P, didn't know about ex_interp or cl_rate.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm
Site Admin

If yer loss rates are insane at the default settings, tweaking them ain't gonna help, as something is more fundamentally wrong. Compare your connections with other servers and other games, if they are all bad, start doing tracert's, and if they come up okay, start eliminating hardware problems (bypass router, use a network card, etc.), and if they all seem okay, try another windows install. If that doesn’t work… Send 10 fresh babies to Gabe Newell.

Some more ram and a better gfx card likely wouldn't hurt either - it maybe your network problems are caused by processing cycles being held up at your end, depnding on what your FPS is.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW

If yer loss rates are insane at the default settings, tweaking them ain't gonna help, as something is more fundamentally wrong. Compare your connections with other servers and other games, if they are all bad, start doing tracert's, and if they come up okay, start eliminating hardware problems (bypass router, use a network card, etc.), and if they all seem okay, try another windows install. If that doesn’t work… Send 10 fresh babies to Gabe Newell.

Some more ram and a better gfx card likely wouldn't hurt either - it maybe your network problems are caused by processing cycles being held up at your end, depnding on what your FPS is.

QFT

All the things I would have said, especially the second paragraph, only I was too lazy and too involved in posting to Oldro to type out.

--Locane

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:35 pm

FPS is typically 70-80 depending on the server. Worst i've gotten is 50-60 on a laggy game. -- I get like 10-12fps on Co_daimos or something, some really really laggy map --.

It's kinda odd because i'll get really bad loss on one server one day, and the next it will be great on the same server same rates. It changes by day, and even by hour some times. The general rule for me so far is that if i have loss i gotta turn down my update/cmdrate as much as possible until loss = 0. However, my problem is that sometimes even cmd10/up10 is still too much ><.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 pm
Site Admin

ATI's don't like OpenGL these days, so I suppose that isn't surprising under the circumstances, but not so bad as to have too much affect on your network (save for Daimos).

There's also the generic responses: Spyware check, virus check, is the computer plugged into the wall... Maybe also check if yer net is being jacked... Beyond what I've already stated, I've none too many theories, and several of those are shot down by the fact that it varies from day to day. Still, I'd run a tracert when it was bad. Maybe traffic on a particular node near you.
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." - Max Ehrmann
Thothie

Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW

ya, i know what ya mean man :P. I'll try the tracert just cuz i'm also interested... Thanks for your help :P.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]