Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Need website help 

It looks like my dad and I are going to open a computer e-store and we need a website. We get alot of used/new equiptment, and may be able to work out some kind of trade for payment or something. We would appriciate some help getting a website created. I know little about it, not enough to make a nice website worthy of selling products. If anyone is interested and has the time to help create one, please let me know. We're looking to open this up in the next month or so.

Thanks =]

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:05 pm

you want a complete front and back end, and it has to be able to do e-commerce?

do you want paypall, clickandbuy, major CC? What payment type

who's gonna do all the photoshop for the front end, what kind of layout, etc.

Who's gonna code the back end?
Do you want to use a LAMP setup, or do you want to pay out the arse for other software

where is it gonna be hosted at, what kind of connection, server, etc. Physical access to server, remote access? etc

and this was just off the top of the head

post details, be specific

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:51 pm

I suggest looking into this (or some other web management suit) if you wish to test the waters before jumping in
http://www.joomla.org/

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:22 pm

This is a useful content management comparison site; narrow the matrix and make a comparison about what do you need/have in mind... hence what do you need for start...

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:00 pm

sooo

you want a complete front and back end, and it has to be able to do e-commerce?

do you want paypall, clickandbuy, major CC? What payment type

who's gonna do all the photoshop for the front end, what kind of layout, etc.

Who's gonna code the back end?
Do you want to use a LAMP setup, or do you want to pay out the arse for other software

where is it gonna be hosted at, what kind of connection, server, etc. Physical access to server, remote access? etc

and this was just off the top of the head

post details, be specific

lol umm yeah.

I'll look into the links posted below and check em out. There's alot more to this than I am aware of. However, we have had an eBay store for a few years now and we're looking to get our own site now. Hopefully business is going to grow. We're trying to get set up with MSI, Asus, AMD/ATI, and others at the moment to be a reseller. I didnt get a chance to get back to this post lastnight, and I have to do some running around today, but I'll be back later to post some more specifics, and check those links out. I'm "ok" with Photoshop, but I dont believe I'm anywhere near good enough to do a "real or professional" website for e-commerce. I have a copy of Macromedia Studio MX, and I'd be willing to give a copy to whomever would like it to help out. Anywayz.. gotta run, I'll be back later.

Oh, we're going to setup and host the server, we're going to get a static ip here at home and upgrade our service.

Thanks guys.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:18 am

http://worksystem.sourceforge.net/works ... s/news.php

Is one of the best options... at least nothing related with e-com cost extra; the interface is very simple but the new wave in design is about minimalist graphics and powerful functions; the main graphic stuff will be the stock for better results I guess... about design, check this avant garde site:

http://www.complexification.net/

In your shoes this could be my choice. If you have Macromedia Fireworks then you have 80% of the design made, maybe a good logo in flash and voila. I can do a 3d logo for you and also a flash banner if needed; you can pay me electronically with oral sex in the ready room of the NS server. There is some crappy old-ass works of mine. I'm better since them:

http://ramiro-chavez.deviantart.com/gallery/

P.S. Jobs through the interwebs usually are teh suck, so, If the box will be in your room... well, congratulations; you are the perfect guy for the web master slot.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]