Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Question about a virus. 

I'm not even sure what virus I have/had. Norton and all the other crap I have run seems to have stopped it. I think. On my C drive, I have alot of files that look like this guys post on an antivirus forum. In his post, it looks to me like this program ( http://www.gmer.net/index.php ) is listed and found and removed the problem? Am I correct? Should I try and run it? My system is still full of these files. However, Adaware, Norton, SpyBot all say everything is ok. Any ideas? I'm not having any more pop-ups or like webcasts running in the background anymore. Everything seems to be working fine... atm.. Oh, I found this post in those forums by Googling one of the file names.

Since Norton or anything else is finding any problems, should I just delete all these .tmp files that are in my C/My Docs folder?

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Its ok to delete the .tmp files, whats the file name your concerned about.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 pm

I dont know, I'm not sure. I was using so many different programs to find and get rid of the adware/virus that 1 or all of em found em and dealt with it. And now I'm left with all these files everywhere. What I do know is that all of MY Docs folders are loaded with all these .tmp files.

If I'm reading that guys post right, which I'm not sure that I am, it looks like that program found and deleted all that stuff. But I dont really know. And it's also showing more stuff in other places as well. I'm just seeing whats obvious at the moment. I havent actually searched for all the other stuff listed on his post/log file.

** I tried to delete all the filesand they just come back. I'm going to d/l and run that program in the post. I Googled one of the files again and they had the same problem I have. This virus puts 2 icons on your desk top that look like Windows Security and Help icons. It also filled my C/ drive and C/Documentsand Settings/My Docs folder with all those files.

I'll get back with ya's after it finishes.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Update your anti virus's, reboot in safe mode and run them. Your just wasting your time with norton.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:24 pm

You're going to have to put your hard drive in the microwave.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 pm
Site Admin

Really, after any major viral attack, you should just backup all your non-replacables, and format the damned drive. Even if the virus scanners do manage to remove all the virus bits (doubtful when using Norton), your system files are going to look like swiss cheese and cause you all sorts of headaches down the road.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:12 am
Profile YIM WWW

I agree with thoth. If it is that bad i would reformat too.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:21 pm

I wouldn't even bother reformatting. I would just buy a new computer altogether. Just tell your wife just tell your wife the virus infected your hardware and the computer could explode at any minute.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:35 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

And while you're doing that, explain that the virus has mutated into an airborne strain and infected the remainder of your home entertainment electronics, which must also all be replaced with the newest generations available so as to avoid unnecessary inconvenience and/or loss of life. If necessary, blame one, or all, of the following: A.) The Bush administration B.) "The Military-Industrial Complex," C.) The Illuminati, D.) The small man living under the bed that only you can see.

... Too much?

He's a man who won't fit in.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:06 pm
Site Admin

... Too much?

Nah, did that three times last month – got me all new electronics and a $300 tax write-off, somehow. Good plan. ;)

Seriously though, periodically formatting and taking everything down does wonders for your system anyways. Gets rid of all those useless fragmented registry bits, dead system files, and all and all is just a good computer spring cleaning – with luck, it’ll make it run like new, in addition to giving you the opportunity to organize better. Even those bastages at M$ recommend ye do it once a year – although it seems I wind up doing it more often than that, usually due to one major hardware/software catastrophe or another. Been a long time since it was a virus though – but, for instance, an HDD ghoster that’s too stupid to realize it isn’t compatible with your bios until its too late is about as common. >_>
Haiku For Windows #11-
A crash reduces
Your expensive comptuer
To a simple stone.

Thothie

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

This all started because my wife saw the anime post in the forums. She's a anime fan, so she wanted to check out Paprika. So I went to MiniNova and was going to d/l it and check it out, well.. I didnt have a torrent progran and I downloaded it. Went to d/l the movie which said it was a 699mb file and it downloaded in like 1/2 a second. I was like wtf.. Next thing I know I'm getting all kinds of pop-ups and some dumbass webcast running in the background. Out of nowhere websites and webcasts just start, even when I was at my desktop. Unfortunaltely, when I was trying to install Bioshock and tweaking my system to get it to work my Norton subscription ran out and I disabled it for some reason, I cant remember. When I was doing all this stuff to my puter for Bioshock I updated all kinds of drivers for my video card and motherboard and all kinds of crap. Which caused a bunch of unrelated problems. Long story.. RAID issues etc..

Anyway.. While just saying screw it, I'm gonna wipe my hd somehow while doing so, the lables got switched on both my hard drives. C got switched to F, dont ask how, I dont know. So I managed to wipe everything I've been saving as back up for like 8 years. I lost everything. After figuring that out (was like getting kicked in the balls or worse) I tried to save my now "F" drive and get rid of the virus. All the scans using multiple av & ad ware programs say the virus was gone but my F/ drive and F/Docs&settings/MyDocs were full of these files that couldnt be deleted. I would delete em and close the window, as soon as I opened it again there they were again.

So now I've completely wiped both drives, ended up w/ another Gig of ram (now 2), a new 80 gig hd (now 2), and a new Audigy 24 ZT something sound card. So I got some new equiptment and RAM. Now I'm in the process of reloading everything, including 27gig of Steam... which has it's own 40gig hard drive. So hopefully I'll be able to keep everything secure and keep it all working for a while. Still got alot of work to do. Looking into maybe getting Windows XP 64 bit OS so I can run DirectX 10 so I dont have to Upgrade/downgrade to Vista. But my puter is running great now and everythig is set up right this time instead of half assed. Even got 5 new case fans.

Still got lots of work to do, but I'll be back up and running in the next day or so.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:48 pm

It would be a nice time to do an image of the system drive/partition too. That way in the future, if you run into any other problems you can just restore the image and you'll be back to where you are now. If any of the drives are a Maxtor or Seagate you can use MaxBlast 5 or Diskwizard which includes a free version of Acronis TrueImage 10. You can also download install and create a boot CD for Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 if none of the drives are Maxtor or Seagate -> You might be able to get Hard Disk Manager for free if it's still available... http://www.computeractive.co.uk/hdmanager8/index it's past the date that the promo was supposed to be active, but many people have still been able to get it.. I got it around September or October and was still able to register it.

An excellent project to check out for doing system scans for virus and malware is UBCD4Win - www.ubcd4win.com - I use it all the time for fixing friends systems and mine once in a while..

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:50 am

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/864

Then download Utorrent.

http://www.utorrent.com/

Enter what you're looking for in the Tbar, click on the search pulldown and select the site you want to search.

Download the torrent file that you feel is most appropriate, and then open it with utorrent, and have utorrent take care of everything for you.

Simple and no BS.

--Locane

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:21 pm

I use the torrent bar too, its nice. But i use azureus.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]