Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Internet Connection. 

So, me and my roommates have comcast high speed internet. As of recently for the past week it has been going extremely slow, its not just our connection too apparently. Because one of our friends a few blocks down has the same problem with his connection. We called them they came out, looked at it, said they fixed it. It seemed like they did for an hour or two cause it work just like it use to, but then it went back to being like crap. We ran a speed test on it and out dl rate is 7,275 kbs and our ul is 21kbs...... Does anyone know if we can correct this ourselves or really on comcast because we have called them multiply times and they have yet to solve the problem.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:05 pm

ZOE wrote:
So, me and my roommates have comcast high speed internet. As of recently for the past week it has been going extremely slow, its not just our connection too apparently. Because one of our friends a few blocks down has the same problem with his connection. We called them they came out, looked at it, said they fixed it. It seemed like they did for an hour or two cause it work just like it use to, but then it went back to being like crap. We ran a speed test on it and out dl rate is 7,275 kbs and our ul is 21kbs...... Does anyone know if we can correct this ourselves or really on comcast because we have called them multiply times and they have yet to solve the problem.

7.2 down is good.

21 kbps upload means something is fucked up.

First thing I would do if I was out there is hook up a single computer to it, boot it up in safe mode, and then run the speakeasy test again. http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If your upload is still shot, do the following:

In safe mode, open a new browser window, and type in http://192.168.100.1

This will bring up a modem diagnostics page. I don't know what kind of modem you have, but there should be a link that says "signal" or "downstream" or "upstream".

The information may already be there and labeled.

What you're looking for in the downstream department is anywhere between -8 and +8.

What you're looking for in the upstream department is no more than 56, maybe 57. Your modem's upstream shouldn't be any higher than that. Lower is better.

The next thing you want to check is the SNR of the downstream, which should be 34 or more. If it's anything less than that, then you may or may not have a problem on the cable.

Next, determine how many devices you have in your cable network. Do you have cable tv service? How many tv's do you have? Where are they hooked up? How many are actually hooked up? Are the lines damaged? Are there any splitters or fittings or barrel connectors that could potentially have water in them?

You should trace the cable back from the modem to the wall, and then from the wall to the outside, and then look where it goes from there.

These basic troubleshooting steps will help gather information for me and any technician that comes to your place to fix things again. Let me know what you find, with as many details as you can give me.

--Locane

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks, We call again. They told us that there was a power outage at one of the servers or something like that and thats why the UL is so slow. I will try to run your test when I have time. Thanks.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Hmmm for some reason, it goes at its regular speed at wee hours in the morning but once it hits 8 or 9 it goes back to shit....

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:37 pm

That's just the shared network issues cable runs into. Your basically on a large lan with all the other customers in the area.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Ditching comcast would be my suggestion. They're really kind of shitty.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:27 pm

Ya, there is talk about switching services. I mean the net worked just fine last week, and now its just horrible....

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 pm
Site Admin

In 2004 and 2007, the American Customer Satisfaction Index survey found that Comcast had the worst customer satisfaction rating of any company or government agency in the country, including the Internal Revenue Service

Lolz. (Wow, it's referenced too.)

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Ya, there is talk about switching services. I mean the net worked just fine last week, and now its just horrible....

You need to take the troubleshooting steps I've listed above before you can say for sure that it's the ISP.

If your upload is going to shit at night, it could be any number of different things causing it, and yes, capacity issues are one of them.

If you can connect a single computer in safe mode during the time your upload is crappy, and it's showing up crappy, then you have some kind of ISP issue.

Usually, when a connection or a problem is manifesting itself mainly at night, it's due to water damage. The combination of the temperature change (getting colder) and the lack of sunlight means that water has a much easier time affecting the physical portion of your ISP's network.

Before you chock this issue up to "Generic Comcast", take the troubleshooting steps I've listed for you, and bring them to Comcast. Give them a chance to fix it.

If you need help, or if you have a question, you can post here or call me directly (206) 510 8020. My real name is Michael.

--Locane

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:11 pm

well we called them and reset the cable and now it works fine for now....

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]