Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
To SLI or not to SLI that is the question 

Not sure if this was asked before or not, but I'm going to be build a new computer again pretty soon and I know some of you probably keep up with kind of information more than I do. So, I was wandering is SLI any good and worth looking into, or should I not bother with it? I have the cash to get the two videocards for SLI, but I dont want to waste the cash if it isn't going to give me a noticeable performance increase. The games I usually play are mostly MMORPG's (currently LOTRO, and Warhammer when it comes out), NS, probably NS2 when comes out and some RTS's and FPS's. I know a few of you probably keep up with kind of i

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:10 pm

I'm surprised you can play ns at all without SLI. I Run dual 7950 GTXs (each is a card in sli itself) so I have 4 cards and I still get lag when an onos rounds the corner.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:34 am
Site Admin

If you have a sh*tload of cash go ahead.

But if it's a choice between two high end SLI cards, or one VERY high end single card - go single. Don't even bother with SLI on two low end cards.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

I've been running SLI 7950GTs for awhile now, and I can tell you first hand my system crushes video requirements.

If you're on the fence about it, buy an SLI motherboard so you have your options open to you. SLI mobos aren't really that much more expensive than normal ones. The only thing you really lose is a PCI slot. I don't know how many PCI devices you have, but in general SLI boards have 2 or 3 slots while single card boards will have 3 or 4.

--Locane

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:36 pm

Go for sli of the new 8800gt for some niceness.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]