Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
black screen 

HL always ran better in OpenGL, and i think thats what it was meant for really. Always ran slower in DX for me, then again i never wanted to run it in DX felt funny.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:01 pm
Site Admin

I heard that within 3 years microsoft will be cutting off support to XP. I mean when you think about it the operating system is 7 years old now, in 3 years it will really be a dead OS, like 98.

And Vista is a whole new OS dumped on top of the seven year old WinXP kernel - just like WinME was a whole new OS dumped on the aging 98 kernel. Nevermind the fact that XP was already a whole OS dropped ontop of the Win2k kernel (admittedly, more of a fancy paint job than a dump, in that case) - but I suspect Vista's run will be closer to ME's than XP's.

I think the only way they are going to salvage it is to make a new kernel and give up the media protection stuff that's stopping them from having the media support they fooled people into purchasing Vista for to begin with. I've heard of no plans in this direction though.

...but back OT - as I said on the previous page, NS does not actually support DirectX mode. Many HL1 mods do not. A few plain old wont run in DX mode. Try switching to OpenGL and depending on the ATI/Steam OpenGL emulation/compatibility layer (and/or - take M$ up on their offer, and get XP for free).

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

none of the mods will run in open gl. it quits out saying something doesnt support something... every time.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:28 pm

humboldt wrote:
the only graphics that are off are the tab player scores and the comm options are black. these two things only very rarely are normal. the mt and right click menus, along with everything else, seems to be ok. tomorrow, i will post the type of stuff i have when i can get some wireless to my laptop.

also, u bitches better play day and night on weednesday and thursday because those are the days that i can play. come and let me be ur commander to relocate u to some foolish loss.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums ... pic=102830

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:06 am

i have to wait until i can have internet other than work. i forgot to check that link, and my works net is filtered.

Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

Reason:
The Websense category "Games" is filtered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL:
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums ... pic=102830

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:26 am
Site Admin

none of the mods will run in open gl. it quits out saying something doesnt support something... every time.

If yer getting that with an ATI card, either the ATI drivers or Vista are not properly updated. It should at least load.

As for the work net filter, linked thread says to use "cl_gammaramp 0" to take care of black screen in CC.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:28 am
Profile YIM WWW

that command worked in my console. now i can see my comm buttons. thanks guys.
this site: http://www.soft32.com/download_180229.html
shows my graphics card ; Card name: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series
is not listed for windows vista, and it was last updated in 2005.
i cant find anywhere to get updates for this video card.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:26 pm

http://fixthe200m.wordpress.com/2006/07/07/my-story/

yes yes?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:32 pm
Site Admin

Hmm... Good thing you showed me that, I was thinking of getting a new laptop today, and I've been torn between a few with Nvidia/ATI cards. I thought I'd go for an ATI Xpress chipset, just to have something different on the laptop, but now that I see that, I think I'll go with the Nvidia.

I've been going with the Nvidia chipset ever since my HORRIBLE experience with a crap ATI 9800pro ages ago, but I figure time to give them a second chance... Guess not.

Granted, I'm sure I'll format the laptop for XP - although I might keep it dual boot. I spend enough time with other people's Vista system's that it might not be a bad idea to force myself to deal with the pain now and again. I'm sure the XP drivers handle OpenGL fine.

I was hoping to get a Conroe CPU (or some core2 variant) on the laptop, but it seems that Intel has done this STUPID move where it's very hard to find Intel CPU laptops that don't have the CRAP Intel GMA graphics chipset (which can't even handle my 3D CAD software in XP - I dun even want to *think* about Vista).

As such, I'll probably be going with the AMD Turion.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Meh, I wound up getting an ATI card, as the only 17" with numberpad they had in the shop with the same stats and an nVidia card was $250 more, and I was already spending more than I wanted to.

On the plus side I got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 instead of a Turion.

This has an ATI X1200 - I'll tell ya if it has the same issue. (I may take it back and eat the $250 if it does).

PS. God I hate wide screen...
God I miss my mouse nipple...

edit:
Blarg... Well it runs NS fine in OpenGL without any visual issues, except it gets like 40fps @ 1400x900 with no AA. That's playable, but sad, considering my 2002 laptop got better FPS than that. My CAD software, on the other hand, crashes as soon as I click on anything. (PS. Never play NS with a touch-pad)

This is all in Vista mind you - I've not had the chance to dual boot the puppy to XP yet.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Well, review for ATI X1200 under Vista expanded before I head down to the LB... (For anyone that maybe looking into a new laptop)

OpenGL based CAD software = CRASH
NS @ 1400x900 x0AA = 20-40fps
MSC @ same settings = 10-20fps (<5 when viewing reflections)

HL2:EP1 @ same settings = a solid 60fps (Vsync-on)

Obviously there's some half-assed OpenGL emulation going on in these Vista Catalyst drivers.

*sigh* I'll install XP on this thing while I'm babysitting dieing folks and find out if the laptop has the same issues in that OS. If it does... back it goes. It'll be the third laptop I've returned this week.

Last edited by Saint Thoth on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

PS. God I hate wide screen...

Yeah seriously. And that's what practically the majority of them are now... laaaame :(

Saint Thoth wrote:
"Eric Prince is on his way to being an American hero just like Ollie North was." - Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, who forgot her [/irony] tag
Thothie

Isn't Dana Rohrabacher a dude?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:54 am

It'll be the third laptop I've returned this week.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 am

widescreen is amazing . . . . running web browsers at 1024 pixels and having a 600+ pixel sidebar to do other shit (im, music, or even just staggered windows so you dont have to use the taskbar to switch) = godly

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:46 pm

What was wrong with the 9800 Pro? I had one (first ati card btw) and it was a good card, Now the drivers were a whole other issue :)

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next