Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Windows Script System is Toast 

• Can’t parse in-page anchor links

Fuck anchor links anyways. Though i do notice they work on some pages through firefox, im sure there is a work around.

Quote:
• Only partial support for ActiveX plugins

They actually dont support it at all i believe, i had to d/l a plugin to have activeX, but that was only to troubleshoot something. They dont support it becuase its just one big hole.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:04 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Fuck anchor links anyways. Though i do notice they work on some pages through firefox, im sure there is a work around.

Isn't Thoth's point that he shouldn't have to use workarounds, as they cause him to spend extra time coding the page?

Thoth, is this you coding for Firefox?

:lol:

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:23 pm
Site Admin

Yes... *sigh* - And ironically enough, I downloaded that GIF along time ago, and I as I recall, found it on a web developer forum section discussing updating old pages for FF.

In addition to the work arounds being a lot of extra work, they also don’t work right. On a long page with a lot of tables and images, you usually won’t get to the right spot, due to leading inconsistencies.

I think it allows partial access, and embedded Active X. ActiveX applets are more secure than Java Applets (which can do anything and everything, and unlike ActiveX, offer no verification system) - and it allows those just fine. Firefox’s shortcomings are just laziness disguised as security implementations. Lack of functionality != Security. The ability to access clipboard, global data, and files is critical in a lot of situations, and while it can be disabled in IE, you don't even have the option in FF.

In anycase, I suspect most people like Firefox on the basis that it isn’t Micro$oft. – and given the sh*t that Micro$oft pulls on a regular basis, I can entirely understand that. Indeed, I suspect if I actually had to pay for IE7, and could get Firefox for free, and could just put my out consumer vote, I’d probably live with FF, but that isn’t the case. (Then again, I guess I would have to pay, as some of the pages I access regularly require IE7’s security and ActiveX. *sigh*)

Hopefully some open source geniuses will start a group one day, and bring us a real alternative, that has more functionality, and broader compatibility than IE, rather than less.
But we never will.” - Haiku For Windows #14

Thothie

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW

1. It's faster
2. The amount of malware on my system dropped off dramatically after the switch.
3. Plug-ins (adblock is made of win)
4. RSS (back before IE supported it)
5. Clean interface (I despise the glossy look all vista related thing have)
6. It works on all pages I care to visit.

And in the end developers will develop for what users use. :D :lol:

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:52 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Isn't Thoth's point that he shouldn't have to use workarounds, as they cause him to spend extra time coding the page?

Lol. I don't visit sites that don't work in Firefox... I kinda feel that if they're going ot use IE only stuff then they don't need my business. I don't have IE on my FreeBSD machine. I don't have IE on my Mac. The world doesn't revolve around Windows and it's my little protest to boycott those that think it does by requiring users to use IE.

That said, I'm not sure where Thoth's code goes wrong. :P

And to demonstrate I just whipped up my own little test page. Firefox handles my HTML just fine. :P

Code:
<html>
<head><title>Test</title></head>
<body>

<a href = "#hello"> Click here</a>

foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo
<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo<p>foo
<p>foo<p>foo<p>
<a name="hello">
Hello world!!
<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar
<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar<p>bar

</body>
</html>

/me pokes at Thoth.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:30 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Hey Thoth: I took the liberty of fixing the broken lines of your html (line numbers included):

Code:
78:<a name="updates">
83:<a name="server">
100:<a name="custom">
144:<a name="fuznet">

I think if you ad the # sign it breaks the html standard.
Maybe FireFox is just strict in this case and not broken.

/me pokes Thoth with 20ft long stick
/me gets ready to run.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:40 pm
Site Admin

Without the "#" it becomes a script reference name, which causes other problems. "#" on both is the standard, and always has been, for that reason, among others, including that'll make it stop working in most other browsers (and wont even work in FF if there is any script referencing used on the page).

Quote:
The world doesn't revolve around Windows and it's my little protest to boycott those that think it does by requiring users to use IE

In most cases, sites that don't work with FF work in some other browser other than IE. Again, of all the browsers I have here, FF is the biggest violator of standards. Also if you reversed that scenario, and everyone went only to pages designed for Firefox, 90% of the internet would vanish. Again, if you introduce a "new better" browser - it needs to do more than the original product, not less, and it needs to read the pages that are already on the net.

Then again, I putup with FoxIt Reader's shortcomings, over the sh*tload of services Adobe Acrobat puts into my system, but unlike Firefox, Foxit Reader hasn't caused me to recode any of my PDF's. (Although it'd be nice if it could read PDF commentary proper...)

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:03 am
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Without the "#" it becomes a script reference name, which causes other problems. "#" on both is the standard, and always has been, for that reason, among others, including that'll make it stop working in most other browsers (and wont even work in FF if there is any script referencing used on the page).

No no no. You only need the # in the href tag for the anchor. The name part of the anchor tag doesn't use them. See:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutor ... pages.php3
http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/links.htm

Unfortunately an html spec listing that I found on w3c.org is less than helpful...
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html ... l#SEC5.7.3

But you'll note that if you read their source html, they don't use the # sign for their anchor name tags, just their anchor href tags... (And this is the way I've always done it.)

All right, my strep throat is feeling better. (Finally got antibiotics on second visit to doctor last night. Yes, I spent Friday night in a hospital - yay me.) I'll probably be a bit less surly now. :wink:

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:11 am

But Acrobat is the Devil's own! Who'd use it? :D

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:12 am
Jigglyroom Admin

But Acrobat is the Devil's own! Who'd use it? :D

Well, the Devil's own would use it, of course! :wink:

Eh, some years ago, FF had more functionality where most standard users could easily see it; tabbed browsing being the most obvious one. And I just found its interface and options panels much more intuitive than IE.

(Mostly, I'm just curious how much fight Thoth still has in him when it comes to FF. :wink: )

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:57 am

I dunno, i've been switched over to FF for a long time now. Have not scanned for spyware or virus's in a couple months. Did so last weekend and came up empty, not saying FF is perfect but along with my experience of not going to sites where i might acquire "presents". Anyways any site i have encountered that does not work in firefox is either poorly coded, or uses some lame ass activex crap or java.

Since i've learned a bit on CSS yes i have come across some work arounds i have to do to make something work, then now making it compatible with IE too. But its what we have, we have to deal with it, have to adapt. Programmers are always adapting to something.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:05 pm
Site Admin

Meh, got the tabbed browsing plugin back in IE5, had it for so long, when IE7 came out, I almost forgot it wasn't standard. Other than that, I didn't see any difference between the interfaces.

The "#" has to be on both ends, or as Fixxor can likely tell you, it'll fubar a lot of scripts (any that pull elements by name) and some style sheets. Tis just those basic HTML tutorials tend to either neglect this and/or be written for Mozilla, but the motivation for adding that standard back at the birth of HTML was the thought that the name tag would be eventually be universal for all elements, as it has become so today, and thus, specific identifiers would be (and are) needed.

Thankfully I don't have to adapt anymore... And It wasn't such much adapting as doubling the work load. Just miffed that, to this day, the more popular product is the one that does less, and that no one has come up with a more popular alternative, even though most of the alternatives out there are more effective.
Guess which has occured." - Haiku For Windows #12

Thothie

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Why Yogurt thinks Thoth would like FF if he could get over his misunderstanding of html :p

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/394
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/249

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:09 am
Site Admin

Meh, everytime I plug more than 4 things into FF, it crashes. More than once I've had it fux up so bad, if I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, it'd still crash, so I had to go hunt down all the registry entries... Not worth the time, so I just leave it naked. Only use it to test page compatibility anyways.
must now be retyped." - Haiku For Windows #15

Thothie

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next