Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Windows Script System is Toast 
Site Admin

Somehow my jscript.dll got corrupted, or something, and since it's been updated by Winderz Update, restoring it via SPC does nothing.

This means all of IE7's basic script functions are useless. I can't even do simple things like click on an emoticon on the menu and have it's BBCode appear here. I also can't watch Google videos, etc, without launching *shiver* Mozilla. Basically anything that isn't either basic HTML or PHP controlled = fail.

Now, I tried downloading Windows Scripting Host 5.7 - but it's Genuine Advantage - which wouldn't be a problem (I didn't pay for Windows, mind you, but mine's genuine) - except that the Genuine Advantage authentication - USES THE DAMN SCRIPT ENGINE! (Obviously some short sightedness going on here.)

So, anyone got any advice for me short of reinstalling windows, or finding another computer with the properly updated files and tracking them all down? (I don't have them here as I don't keep my laptops as well udpated.)

Currently I'm trying uninstalling and re-installing some jscript.dll related security updates, but I've not had the chance to reboot.
"There comes a time when you look into the mirror and realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. Then you accept it, or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking into mirrors." - Ambassador Londo Mollari
, B5

Thothie

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Since you seem to have something against firefox perhaps opera is for you?

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Pop in a windows cd, and use the repair feature. 8)

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:11 pm
Site Admin

The whole script system has been updated since my SP2 CD, and it's alot of files. I tried restoring the jscript.dll, but the old one apparently isn't compatible with the newer bits.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The whole script system has been updated since my SP2 CD, and it's alot of files. I tried restoring the jscript.dll, but the old one apparently isn't compatible with the newer bits.

It should still work if you do the repair feature, and then update, that always seemed to work for me.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 pm
Site Admin

I'll use Mozilla when it catches up to 1992 HTML standards (standards in use since before most of the folks in these forums were freaking born. ><)

In anycase, I fixed it (didn’t feel like doing the repair bit and re-downloading all 83 updates or whanot), just thought I'd say how in case someone got hit by the same thing (fairly common apparently):

Step1)
Remove the IE7 Cumulative Security Update via Add/remove (check the “show updates” box)
- Apparently this has a bug where it fails to release several files during update, but tries to update them before reboot, thus, the jscript.dll and several other files fubar if the update runs while IE7 is open.

Step2)
Once these are removed, you’ll still have scripting engine issues, but the engine should work well enough that your Genuine Advantage will work, and ye can download the new scripting engine yonder:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

Step3)
Install above, but be sure IE7 is closed when you do so. Reboot, and ye should be fixed.

This cumaltive security update also causes some other odd, but less devastating behavior, such as google video going smash, but other script pages working fine, and so on and so forth. Apparently, form what I’ve read, anyone running IE7 during a windows update gets some shadow of this bug.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:26 am
Profile YIM WWW

Apparently, form what I’ve read, anyone running IE7 during a windows update gets some shadow of this bug.

I believe Microsoft always has the nice message that you should shut your shtuff down before installing their updates. I guess, in their case, they actually mean it.

Though what would be really funny is if you got a similar bug that hit if Explorer was running. ^^

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 am
Site Admin

No, because microsft updates like to install all own their on in the background without even bothering to tell you. ;)

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Though what would be really funny is if you got a similar bug that hit if Explorer was running. ^^

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/8675309
Error in installation of Internet Explorer 7: Install fails if 'System Idle Process' is running

Solution: Find other Microsoft bug that consumes 100% of CPU time before installation. ^^

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:55 am

No, because microsft updates like to install all own their on in the background without even bothering to tell you. ;)

Thats why its disabled on my computer, ill update my system when i want to thank you very much.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:01 am

indeed fixor, but it's always pestering to download new updates

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 am
Site Admin

Well, you can always disable it - but I'd much rather have those huge security holes Micro$oft bothers to tell us about patched as soon as they find them, as I figure the only time they put out a patch for a security hole is when it's already been sploited several thousand times. ;)

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW

as I figure the only time they put out a patch for a security hole is when it's already been sploited several thousand times

Actually, a lot of their patches are for theoretical holes. My favorite patch was one that a security professor here described as "utter futility", as the "hole" they were patching involved "weak" encryption that would have required a massive server farm to crack to begin with. Anyways, as we all know, the real Windows security holes are never patched. :D

Also, rofl Skel. 8)

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:56 pm
Site Admin

I suspect that thar be the exception to the rule, when you take into account the still oft abused Media Player DRM related security holes, the remote desktop exploits, UPnP sploits, error reporting service sploits, internet time sploits, and task scheduler sploits, that they haven't fully fixed for years (and those are just the ones I know of off hand)... And the several horrible nasty security sploits they "fixed' simply by turning certain services off by default, which other software they offer turns back on. Not to mention how every-other major virus outbreak involves a Windows security hole of one type or another, and generally has spread for a month or two, to hundreds of thousands of computers before M$ admits they knew about the problem for a year. ><

It’s always fun hooking up unpatched computers direct at USC and counting the seconds before they acquire a worm. ;) I swear half the net traffic volume has gotta be infected computers scanning for vulnerabilities or something.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next