Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
network block. pls help 

sry for length
being that i am too poor for internet, the only place i can get online is at work. the company i work for uses allmatec wireless. they have a system in place so that if any computer on the network uses too much (I DONT KNOW WHAT THE WORD IS... bandwith??) whatever...power, the computer is blocked form access of the internet. my computer is now in a block list according to its ip address. i have called to have my computer removed from this list more than once. steam uses crazy amounts of net juice when connecting to servers and shit, so i keep getting blocked. to get to the point, i have called them too much, and now they yell at me and wont unblock my comp. is there anyway that any of u guys know and can tell me to get around this problem i have???
i would really appreciate any help i could get. this is very important to me because i love ns, and i cant stay awake on the job without it. please please please help me
:cry:

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:00 pm

it's probably the steam updates that rape your bandwith allocation, not casual gameplay.

Where do you call to get the computer unbant, are the tech people in house?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:28 pm
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

Do this for me:

Press windows key + r
Type cmd
Hit enter
Type ipconfig /all
Hit enter

Right click
select mark
select resultant text
ctrl+c
go to tfc.panduck.com
click forums
find this thread
press new reply
ctrl+v
press submit

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm
Profile WWW

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Josh>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : unknoWn
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethern
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-3F-F6-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wirel
s Device
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-A8-D0-E0-E1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9462:a90b:3092:60e7%8(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.96.231(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201375912
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{2F093421-A941-4671-9CAD-81E2DE6
49B}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.96.231%18(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Josh>

this is what u wanted yes yes?
is this info safe to post for all to see?
-----in response to That Annoying Kid: the tech support is not in house, the company is called Almatec wireless. i have to call 18664018300 and most of the time they dont even answer. it is usually the same guy everytime, and he is a real dickhole.
thanks sooo much for looking into this guys, even if it doesnt work. i really do appreciate it.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 pm
Site Admin

If its an office, he's most likely behind a firewall run by a central computer (ie. there's a computer filtering content between him and the net) - so unless he can connect directly to the net and bypass the network, I think even faking his IP might not help him, as his local net IP is what is being monitored.

Then again he says he has to make a call to clear it up, so maybe it is being monitored externally, and all he has to do is fake it.

Steam, I've noticed, does start eating TONS more bandwidth than it should, plus it eats bandwidth while its idle doing its bittorrent thing, even after everything is installed and updated. Ya might be able to put an end to the problem by simply blocking all the Steam.exe ports with your local firewall, save for 27015 - which I think is really the only one you need open as a client to play and auth. (And I think only HL.exe actually needs that open, not Steam.exe - which is likely where your bandwidth is actually going to.)

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

thoth, i have no idea what it is ur tellin me to do. lol.
the network im trying to access is a hotel's wireless. the network isnt controlled here.
when i call, they ask if im filesharing. they dont know what im doin, they just know i exceed the limits. it put me on an automatic block list according to ip they say. when i am blocked, i am still connected to the network HHonors (Hilton Honors) but it is "local only." i have windows vista basic.

the computer usually gets blocked when connecting to servers. it always gets blocked when searching for servers.

lately i play a couple hours in the parking lot in my car at work on the hotel that i used o work at next door's connection. the marriott never network block list. it really sucks playin in the car cause it lags and doesnt want to stay connected. plus im not supposed to be out there... im "working" lol

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:43 am
Site Admin

hotel's wireless + vista

Explains the insane config.

Not sure how ya get around that. I could tell ya how to set the firewall in Vista, but I'd have to insult your momma in the process, and it'd involve getting into technical stuff that may cause other issues that'd be hard to walk you out of.

Only easy to do thing I could advise, is make sure Steam isn't downloading any games you don't intend to install.

Vista eats a lot of extra bandwidth too, as it is constantly verifying everything you use on your system is legit. There are ways to get around that, but they too cause issues. (Media protection errors, most commonly.)

Gotta be some l337 h4x0r here that would know an easy way to beat the Holiday Inn though.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:31 am
Profile YIM WWW

Why do the results of ipconfig need IPv6 in them?

Not planning on releasing a new operating system for another 10 years?

Anyway, it looks like you are connecting to the network via wireless, and you are receiving an IP address via DHCP.

( Lion >:3 )

Basically every network interface card (NIC) has a specific address assigned to it at the time of manufacture. This is for identification purposes on networks.

Thats this part here:
Quote:
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-A8-D0-E0-E1

This physical address ( or MAC address ) is what determines who has what IP address on the network, & when that IP address needs to be renewed/changed.

Now, what you need to to is change your MAC address through a little spoofing.

Download this utility:
Mac MakeUp (I know lame name rite?)

Install it

Follow the guide on that page to randomize your MAC address and then go ahead and reconnect.

If you have trouble come back and I will post you a step-by step idiot guide.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I still don't know why it'd monitor his mac address and not the internal IP it assigns him, but it maybe it works that way. But I guess you are saying he's going to have to keep updating his MAC address to get new IPs when this happens.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW

And then what happens when the "techies" find out he's doing this.. ahem.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 pm
Site Admin

There are techie's working at the Holiday Inn? I'm sure they see a guy who knows how to press CTRL-ALT-DEL maybe once a month, or whenever something breaks, and I doubt he's lookin for anything like that, lest a bandwidth swamp is the issue.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

so i got the program started and then clicked on generate random mac address, then change.

i then reset my network adaptor and searched for new ip settings. still nothing.

i think i am doing this correct... next to manufacturer it says: cant find OID database. i am not sure if this is important.

and its not the holiday inn, lmao, its a hilton. and that ninja joke about my momma is hilarious!

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:07 am

There are techie's working at the Holiday Inn? I'm sure they see a guy who knows how to press CTRL-ALT-DEL maybe once a month, or whenever something breaks, and I doubt he's lookin for anything like that, lest a bandwidth swamp is the issue.
I know the hotels Ive stayed in you pay for the internet of course and they monitor your bandwidth. As for circumventing this theres always a way. I doubt its using an ip to block you. Probably comp ident or mac addy like wormbo says.

Are you using a wireless access point for hotel patrons?
And are you in a maintenance position? :lol:

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:33 am
Site Admin

I've never had to pay for my net in a hotel (everwhere I've gone they've just have a hotspot that covers the whole thing - save once in Peru where I did have to shell $2). But even the Holiday Inn doesn't pay for a full time tech, I'm sure (and certainly not the Hilton). Sometimes you don't even need a password or login page and it's just an open WEP (I know this is true of the hotel near where I get my car fixed, for I use theirs while I'm waiting). I'm sure they all just pay some company to hook it up and come out when it breaks and otherwise it's just the standard hotel staff.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

the internet is complimentary, but there is a password required at a login page each time that u want to gain access. the password changes every week.
i dont have access to any of the hardware, i cant reset the network or anything. the "phoneroom" is locked.
at the marriott that i worked at,i frequently had to reset the whole hotel's connection becuase it would stop working.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next