Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
300 + CS 

http://thatvideosite.com/video/4265

yes yes, another 300 thing :lol:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:07 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Putting aside the fact that it's CS, it's really bad. Wow.

He's a man who won't fit in.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Site Admin

Lovely piece of propaganda that movie was. "Let's get a bunch of buff half-naked men to slash up arabs and scream about freedom for an hour and a half ." - Positively beautiful in its simplicity. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhOXOnEq ... ed&search=

"Any movie where the Spartan's are refer to the Athenians as 'boy lovers' can only be referred to as 'comedy'." - Lady X, followed by tirade on how the 'Spartan's practically invented Gay' ;)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Thoth's link

I haven't seen it (for all the obvious reasons, plus time), but it does seem improper to blame "Hollywood" - well, except for monster Immortals. Perhaps it'd be better to blame Frank Miller for most of those things?

As much as I'd like to see a real epic about the Persian Wars, I figure that most people who went to see 300 didn't really think it was historically accurate. Or so I hope. If they did, I bet they're the type that still thinks a President landing on an aircraft carrier = teh win, and don't really need "new" propaganda just yet?

Now taking wagers... How long until Thucydides: Nationalist Edition? :D

Quote:
Putting aside the fact that it's CS, it's really bad. Wow.

Yes, yes it is.

But I want to add to the fun! KP 300 It's no Caketown, but I think it's hilarious.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:32 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

i think 300 was a good movie. I think you really have to stretch things to try and relate it to the war in iraq. The movie doesn't have much of a plot, and its not supposed to. Its a good action movie with lots of slow motion, blood, and nifty fight moves. It was very entertaining and had great special effects.

The idea is based on an actual historic event. In fact i believe that is known as the first historic event ever recorded. But i would be surprised if any one actually that it was accurate, i mean the movie is filled with monsters and ogres from LOTR, they keep it pretty far from believable. But overall i think its worth seeing.

bind k "amx_kick STEAM_0:0:3700026"

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

I've seen it. I went to it expecting mindless action in a historical setting, and that's pretty much what was delivered. I suppose it's easy to read things into it, like they did in Thoth's video link, but if I ask any of the guys in my company what sort of messages they got from the movie, I can almost 100% guarantee that stuff like this won't be mentioned.

He's a man who won't fit in.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:29 pm
Site Admin

Just used that link, as it was the only funny one I saw off hand that pointed out anything of significance. ;)

I made the mistake of seeing it with my date, in the afternoon, when no one else was about, because the movie we wanted to see wasn't playing at an opportune time.

I thought it was a straight-forward mindless violence flick. Not a single plot twist nor question made, and rather boring, taking place all in the same thirty foot space at the painfully predictable pace.

It did also make me feel painfully old, as I quickly realized, when I was sixteen or so, I woulda loved this. :roll:

But it is a blatant propaganda flick. I mean come on, all this crap with the Spartan's going on and on about freedom and democracy, and this homosexual iranian tyrant comes out and tries to squash them? That's about the most blatant piece of right-wing propaganda I've seen without the word "war on terror" in the title. ;) That's totally designed to brain wash kids into following the narrow red line.

Most propaganda flicks do not involve the issues at hand, but their spirit and symbols instead. The most notorious Nazi propaganda flicks involved some painfully white young lad saving the world against some mysterious threat that weren't even jews, but followed the stereo types and fear the party wanted to engender. This is no different.

And they went soooo far out of their way to make it clear that the Spartan's were not doing anything remotely gay, and spent half their budget on ice-for-women's nipples to prove it. Nevermind the fact that this was a civilization that had such a low opinion of female companionship they essentially had to make people breed by law, and is believed to have had several dozen gay bonding ceremonies for men.

But it was, admittedly, exactly what I expected. I suppose that's why it was so disappointing. Undoubtedly a good fight fest, if yer in the mood, but the Quentin Tarantino flicks coming out will no doubt be vastly superior for more stimulating comic book violence, leading to more giggles than moans, and will no doubt be equal in their historical accuracy. ;)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Thoth, for the record the original 300 comic, which was damn near a literally verbatim script (except for 2 slight plot changes, the gimp throws himself off the cliff instead of his shield and one other minor minor minor thing) for the movie came out in like 98, before all the terrorism freedom bullshit.

It has absolutely no intended corrilation (sp) to the 'war' on terror

Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 am
Site Admin

The story is semi-historical. I r not saying the storyline is engineered to drag the right-wing line, I r saying the that particular story and that particular presentation of it was chosen and redesigned spread the neo-con message to the next generation, and to encourage recruitment into the next war... Several stories behind Nazi propaganda cinema pre-date the Nazi party by a hundred years or more, but their presentation featured certain emphasis not seen before, and those were designed to do the exact same thing.

Granted some of those are considered masterpieces, from a cinematic standpoint. Which I suppose makes them all the more tragic. ;)

Wed May 09, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW

But it is a blatant propaganda flick. I mean come on, all this crap with the Spartan's going on and on about freedom and democracy, and this homosexual iranian tyrant comes out and tries to squash them? That's about the most blatant piece of right-wing propaganda I've seen without the word "war on terror" in the title. ;) That's totally designed to brain wash kids into following the narrow red line.

This is the problem with you liberals, and how miserable your lives must be that you can't even go enjoy a movie without crying like babies. "Ooooh it's right-wing propagana, ooooh the brain washing! Oooh how smart I am for complaining about it!" The only kid walking a narrow red line is you ;)

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:49 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Well, I could point out all the left-wing propaganda we complained about in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean, but Disney flicks always thrive on that bleeding heart crap, so ya kinda expect it. But we're at least equal opportunity complainers. :)

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Bleeding heart? OMG the movie had a bleeding heart in it! No metaphor, a literal bleeding heart! Blows my mind! :P

Also, wasn't it the thin red line? What's with this "narrow" crap? :lol:

Last edited by Skeletor on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:31 am
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

I haven't seen it, so I don't have any opinions as to wether or not its propagandized, but I would like to point out that most of the crap that comes out of hollywood is liberal propaganda in some form or another. I think thoth's perspective of normalcy from hollywood has been skewed by this fact, hence why he's so blown away that a piece of CONSERVATIVE propaganda came from his little hidey-hole of popular liberalness.

for the record im neither conservative nor liberal, i pretty much find the party system disgusting and despicable and most of my views lie in a z-axis wrt the typical political plane.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:07 pm

but it's not conservative propaganda... it's a damn near verbatim screen adaption of a 1998 comic...

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:26 pm

yah but if you notice i clearly stated i wasn't making any claims as to if it ACTUALLY is propaganda or not . . .

although just because it is a comic from 98 doesn't mean it isnt a conservative propagandic comic from 98.

again, i don't think its propaganda.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next