Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PVKII Beta2 

Simply amazing, if you were a fan of the original pvk at all, download this mod now. Its everything you loved about pvk, with an awesome new soundtrack, completely revamped combat, new graphics, polish, flawlessly smooth gameplay, and easy installation.

Combat has been reworked, and its better than ever. I don't think I have ever seen melee combat this entertaining in a half-life mod.

Basically the attack you do with your melee weapon is based on the directional button you are pressing at that moment in time. On top of that they have added in a parry system, also based on the directional button you are pressing. If you parry a melee attack perfectly, it stuns the enemy for a second, similar to the effects of a conc-grenade allowing you an opportunity to counter attack. On top of that, they have added a special ability meter, as you succesfully hit and parry attacks, your special ability bar fills. A full special ability bar allows you to pull off a pretty devestating attack.

The pacing of the game has slowed down just a little bit (not nearly as much as in TF2) because there are not nearly as many 1 shot kill attacks as there were in the original pvk, however the amount of depth they have added to the combat system makes this completely forgivable. Overall I haven't found the game slow or boring at all, in fact if anything its better because there is less 1 shot kill cheese.

In beta2

Each faction has 2 classes (which you will recognize from the original pvk)
Knight:
heavy knight
bowman

Pirate:
Captain
Skirmisher

Viking:
Berzerker
Axe viking (now called something different).

These classes play basically the same as they used to, only they have been adapted to fit the new combat system. In the final release they are planning to release 6 playable classes for each faction (sniper pirate and pole viking will be making a return, not sure about man at arms but the new knight classes look really neat).

I am not lying when I say, this is the most fun I have had on a halflife mod in a very long time.

http://www.pvkii.com

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am

PVKII

I'm sooooooooo down

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 pm
Dear Leader

WHAT WHAT WHAT

PVKII

I'm sooooooooo down

Front page :)

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

Yarr, wow the server was nearly full tonight at 1:00 am central time. I can't wait for the final release. Thanks for the server jiggs. :D

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:51 pm

this makes me want to buy HL2.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Fun. I wish people would use their mics more though. Could synchronize attacks more... find out who is holding the chest and where the chest is being held...

bah.

EDIT: After play a bit more on the server, I realized that most people are there to chop up other people with axes and swords. They don't seem to care much about going after the chest, or even covering a teammate that has a chest. :(

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:15 pm

There is actually more emphasis on winning the game in PVK2 than there ever was in the original pvk. But even so, you're pretty much correct, most people are just concerned with their score or blowing as many people up with kegs as possible. Its still good mindless fun.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:00 pm
Site Admin

This is the first Source mod that I've really enjoyed, and the only one to cut into my NS playing time. I suspect I'll burn out on it, as there isn't much to it, but it's the first Source mod of an existing HL1 mod that doesn't have me yearning for the original.

Tis true there's a lot of DM dweebs out there - and ENDLESS complaints about "OMFG XXX IS SOOO UNDER/OVER POWERED U R N00B FER USING IT", but I suppose that'll die off over time. I think the Bootytag maps would be massively improved, DM wise, if each team spawned in the same general area so you could at least orginize rushes for the chest. Area names, so you could tell people where the chest is, would help (or maybe an arrow pointing to where your teammate with the chest is, when your team has it.)
"If you ever read any anthropology, one of the first things you'll notice is that primal cultures simmer up all of their mystery and magic and power and ask their teenagers to drink deeply." -Grace Llewellyn
Thothie

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

This is the first Source mod that I've really enjoyed, and the only one to cut into my NS playing time. I suspect I'll burn out on it, as there isn't much to it, but it's the first Source mod of an existing HL1 mod that doesn't have me yearning for the original.

Well supposedly they are planning on implementing 4 more classes for each team. I have my doubts that it will actually happen, or at least happen in a timely matter. But if they do, this mod will deffinately keep my interest for a good few years. I also hope somebody ports some of the weirder old maps, Colossus especially. There also used to be some pretty nifty custom maps for PVK, I remember there being a Lord of the Rings battle of Rohan map that was pretty entertaining.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 pm

Currently downloading at 800kb ~ 1.22mb / sec.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]