Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
DOD: Source - Does it suck? 
Site Admin

I was noticing DOD: Source is only $10... I thought it'd be a good mod for Source since that one was all about the immersion in the version I played (looked pretty good for an HL1 mod). It also seems such a basic game that I don’t see much room to fug it up.

However, after my experience with TF2, I r wary. It’s possible they could find *some* way to screw it up. I suppose they could make it Sudden Death, and take out the grenades like they did with TF2 – and that’d do it right there.

Anyone play DOD:Source yet?

Oh yeah, and do you have to change your name through the Steam Community? Cuz if so, that’s straight out. I like anonymity and all, but being “[unknown]” forever is a bit much.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah... its just DoD with better graphics, more cpu usage, and more crashes, nothing special. If you liked DoD you will ike DoD source, if you didn't like DoD than DoD:S is probably not for you.

Personally I find the gameplay to be pretty slow. You die alot, there are spawn timers, and its pretty much all capture and hold. Imagine if you will, BF1942 with better graphics, no vehicles, and slightly smoother gameplay.

Also, you used to be able to change your name through console in HL2 mods (I know in DoD source and HLDM for sure) but I think when they implimented Steam community they removed the ability to do so. Player Name option isn't even an option in the mod's options interface anymore.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:34 pm
Site Admin

Seems Fortress Forever is the only Source mod where I can change my name.

I managed to trick TF2 to using my proper name through regedits, but it only worked once, and I haven't been able to duplicate it. It reverted back to [unknown] the next time I attempted it (or rather "( 8 )[unknown]" - cuz of the other guys there with the same issue).

Hope NS2 doesn't use the Steam Community for names. :(

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I haven't had any problems with steam community. What sort of difficulties have you been having with it?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Site Admin

If I enable the Steam Community any game I launch goes *poof* be it HL1 or Source.

Further, my ID or profile seems to be bugged, the name won't stick in the Community Profile. It doesn't seem to recognize that I've ever added one.

Today I played TF2 for a few seconds as "(12)[unknown]" - was so bad we were refering to one another by number, so I know it's a pretty common issue.

Although "(3)[unknown]" says it worked for him, but he just disabled it as a “useless feature”, which I agree with. Shouldn't be something you are forced to use. Near as I can tell stats are kept under Steam_ID and not name anyways, as when I did change my name, it kept my stats.

Since I’ve apparently been banned from the Steam Forums again – can someone who has it working run their regedit for me (windows+r, regedit [enter], ctr+f, and search for your community name”), and find what keys they find their Community name under?

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\LastGameNameUsed
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\*ur_steam id*\friends\PersonaName
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\*ur_steam id*\friends\*ur_steam id*\name
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\*ur_steam id*\friends\*ur_steam id*\NameHistory

Ye can right-click on keys in the folder tree and copy their names from there.

I added the name proper to those keys, and had my name changed proper for one game. The next time I tried it, it did not work. Maybe there’s others… On mine, “*your steam id here*” comes up as a number that is not the same as my HL1 Steam ID.

Last edited by Saint Thoth on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Since I’ve apparently been banned from the Steam Forums again

Why in the hell would you be banned from the Steam forums?

And again?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:23 pm
Site Admin

I have discovered, if you post bugs they've no intention of fixing, they tend to delete your posts then your account. This is especially true, if you post a link to some shady German site with a fix for said bug. ;) (Last time it was the microphone input switch bug, and the developer echo bug. Links were to third party Sound Blaster drivers and a Steam console replacement - neither of which I am using anymore.)

Granted, this time, I probably pushed them when I said that if this wasn't fixed I'd have to boycott all the affected mods, and requested a list of affected mods for which to give to fellow affected "[unknown]'s"

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Does CS:S suck? Does TF2 suck? Come on, DoD:S feels like CS:S with different guns, completely fucked that game up too.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:06 pm

I have discovered, if you post bugs they've no intention of fixing, they tend to delete your posts then your account. This is especially true, if you post a link to some shady German site with a fix for said bug. ;) (Last time it was the microphone input switch bug, and the developer echo bug. Links were to third party Sound Blaster drivers and a Steam console replacement - neither of which I am using anymore.)

Granted, this time, I probably pushed them when I said that if this wasn't fixed I'd have to boycott all the affected mods, and requested a list of affected mods for which to give to fellow affected "[unknown]'s"

What the fuck. If that's really what happened, why would they ban you? It's not like you're being intentionally destructive. I would complain man, call their customer service or something.

Also, DoD:Source is a great game.

Thoth, what are you asking for again? I'm not sure I understand.

--Locane

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:32 pm
Site Admin

Does CS:S suck? Does TF2 suck? Come on, DoD:S feels like CS:S with different guns, completely fucked that game up too.

Out of curiosity, what are the game-play differences between DoD:S and DoD? I was never a huge DoD fan, mostly due to the respawn time, but I mean, did they take out weapons/classes, or add Sudden Death (Last Man Standing) respawn timers?

I plain old don't do CS(:S or otherwise), so similarity of guns won't bother me thanks to blissful ignorance - but they are, for the most part, instant kill weapons like in ye old DOD, I assume?

Not that'd matter... Inability to change name kinda kills it for me. But if I do ever find a work around for the Community crap, it'd be nice to know...

Quote:
I would complain man, call their customer service or something.

Yeah... I'm sure Valve's customer service has access to their forum admins - assuming there are any human beings at said service, and that said service even exists. ;)

Quote:
Thoth, what are you asking for again? I'm not sure I understand.

The ability to change my name in TF2.

I'm asking for you (or rather, someone with a working Steam Community account and TF2) to hunt through their registry, find their Steam Community name, and give me the keys for any entries containing said name (sans their account ID), in hopes that I can find a way to change my name in TF2, without the Steam Community.

Again, I had it working once through similar registry hacks, but I think the name must be stored in some other location. Since my own, buggy ass, Steam Community registry entries are not complete, I need to see someone else’s.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I liked DoD:S alot, but then again i was a pretty big DoD player also. And as for the TF2 name thing, i seem to be a perm [unknown] since i can't log into steam community.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:48 am

DoD Source is a very well put together game. I like it much better than the old DOD. There are things you can do in the the new source engine that you can't do in the old DoD.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]