Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
fortress forever released 

So will jiggly be running a FF or a TF2 server? or both?[/b]

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:38 pm

ok i'm a noob. how do i download FF and who do i have to pay?

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:59 pm

These days I want my games to be as complicated as NS and up (although I realize that's asking too much.)

not that ive tried any hardcore drugs, but ns is like heroin. all other games are awesome (weed or less deadly drugs) then u play ns (heroin) and all the other games are just baby boring shit.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:20 pm
Site Admin

Meh, if not for hating all the cowardly sh*t I see in NS all the time, that game would rule my life. If they find a way to make losing interesting enough in NS2 to keep the attention of these "we won't play because we can't win" shit eating maggots, I'm screwed.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:44 am
Profile YIM WWW

So will jiggly be running a FF or a TF2 server? or both?[/b]
Come on the answer is clear isnt it? Lets have a break dancing competition.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:30 am

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:02 pm
Site Admin

Finally got a chance to play… Early review:

The Good:
• Faster paced is an understatement. This is a non-stop frag fest. Instant respawn FTW! ;)
• Spies are a bitch! Everything bleeds when you shoot it so spy checking is out, but I *think* if you shoot them enough, spies make noise when you shoot them. Thankfully FF seems to be off by default, but it still makes em a bitch to find. They can cloak, and move slowly while cloaked (“slowly” is still a pretty good clip, actually) – they do uncloak when shot, regardless of which team hits them. I’m not sure how hard a cloaked spy is to see, as I’ve never seen an enemy spy de-cloak. They can also re-program sentries, which can be a real show stopper when engineers have forward SG’s that suddenly turn on them.
• Beautiful maps that keep the themes of the originals (played: Well, Dustbowl, Crossover)
• Physics are perfect! You can duck jump, bunny hop (of a sorts), double jump, conc jump, grenade jump, even wall strafe a bit. I always landed where I thought I would.
• Grenades Rock! :twisted:
PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAY: I didn’t once see anyone goofballing. Everyone was trying to win. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
• In two hours of playing, I didn’t see 2fort once. :D

The Strange:
• Pyro’s IC cannon has been changed into a mortar, with a larger blast radius and, apparently, more damage. Plus side is he has a decent long range weapon, downside is that, as it doesn’t fire in a straight line (it arcs), it’s often useless for pestering people above you (snipers, engiees building SG’s, etc.). It's pretty much only useful when you have the high ground against a large group of defenders (such as on Dustbowl, where it shines).

The Bad:
• Selection menus are clumsy and have no keycuts. It maybe possible to work around this with binds (haven’t tried yet).
• ff_crossover has no bottleneck bridge o spam. It also has too many ways in and out, and the base layout is confusing, though it maybe better for very large games.
• Crashed twice (maybe typical of Source mods, dunno)
• Painful load time (typical of Source mods – need to raid my drives – Valve needs to learn no compression != faster load time, no matter what Unreal may think)
• Still a little beta-ish. Voice chat has no icons, so you can’t tell who’s talking (not even which team)
• Player models are so-so. The HWGuy doesn’t look heavy enough to me. None of them even have the character of the second set of TFC models.
• EMP nerfed (I’m not even sure if it hurts people anymore, and it has a very tiny blast radius). However, the shotgun has been boosted to be devastating enough to compensate (not that it was anything to sneeze at before).
• Knife seems to be nerfed to the extreme (partly due to the fact that everything moves so fast), and I still can't hit no-one with the tranq gun. The spy's other abilities seem to make up for this though.
• The chain gun is not a sustained fire weapon: The gun overheats if fired for more than a second or so, which tends to make it work more like some sort of uber shotgun than a chaingun. Still it is very devastating, and he’s a solid class. Every port of TFC nerfs the HWGuy in some way; I suppose this beats the Q3F method of making it so you can’t movie while firing and giving you spin-up time.

Stuff I’d like to see:
- Right click do stuff on every class by default (even if it’s just toggle secondary weapon). This maybe fixable by .cfg’s but I’ve not looked into it yet.
- Engineer should have a GUI HUD readout for his SGs ala Q3F. (Squinting at text in a game this fast paced = bad)
- Autoteamer: People don’t even teams on their own. Need a server side option to even the teams every few minutes via auto assign of a random member of the larger team.

Despite having most of the same game play, the world, physics, and subtle map changes are far enough removed from the original that you do have to learn to play TFC all over again, so It does really feel like a new game, rather than just a Source port of an old one. In addition, everything that was wrong with TFC is fixed here. So all in all, I give it a big thumbs up.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 am
Profile YIM WWW

im gonna give it a try tonight, took my computer freakin 7 hours to download! i probably will hav eno idea what i'm doing though :) oye the cons of being a chick

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:30 pm

I don't think its a chick thing, I think its a you thing. :lol:

Speaking of chicks... does anyone else miss mog?

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:05 pm

2fort was not finished for the release, so expect it soon.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:05 pm

I don't think its a chick thing, I think its a you thing. :lol:

Speaking of chicks... does anyone else miss mog?

so much hate doc. so much hate to the bella.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:44 pm
Site Admin

2fort was not finished for the release, so expect it soon.

Damnit. :evil:

Apprently there's also a built in vote system, or something, that is ruining the game already (I dun see how to activate it off hand). So already I had to quit two servers that started playing the same "popular" maps, over and over again. Tis how it starts, then it devolves into the same map, over and over again... And then I gotta wait for HL3 to get FF2 on the next engine before I can play TFC again. ><

*sigh* I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW

NO MORE TELEPORTERS!?!?!? :(
no more ~ for console.. unless theres a way i just don't know about
and no more "friends" on the right hand side of the start FF screen.. boooooooo!!!

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:05 pm
Site Admin

Steam friends works in FF, sfaik. I had to disable it again after the last update, but the stupid little pop-up was there before I did.

For the console, it's like every other source mod. Keyboard [Advanced Button], or Multi-player Options [Advanded Button], and there's a check box for "Enable Developer Console".

All the old alias and binds are there, and the class configs are in the /cfg folder.

And what I said about there being no keycuts for menus is false... I was too tired to notice the little numbers under the icons.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next