Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
fortress forever released 
Site Admin

Was that you I saw on the server today thothy?

Yes, that was me... My 4th hour of FF that day I think... This is getting dangerous. >_>

I use the charged railgun to take down a sniper around the corner today, was funny - all I had to do was aim at his dot! ;)

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

FF 1.1 is out... They fixed most of the critical issues, but did some bad stuffz too, IMO.

The good:
- Mic icons working
- Hunted and Bodyguard’s teams communication linked (still no %l locations though)
- Bunch of other minor bugs fixed

The bad:
- Medic infection no longer spreads
- HWG nerfed to TF2 level and beyond (slow + spinup + overheat)

They removed the medic contagion for the same reason they nerfed the HWG (“It griefs players”) – which, basically means, the team is taking the same dark road that lead to the hell that is TF2 (midas well remove grenades on the basis that spam grieves players while yer at it, and make teammates no-clip to each other so they can’t push each other about/ use any real team play tactic). Hopefully they turn back by 1.2 – I feel partly responsible pushing them to get the patch out.

Actual changelog:
Quote:
• Fixed buildable_ondamage and player_ondamage script callbacks.
• Fixed kPlayers flag for lua entity collection.
• Fixed normal explosion sound being played on top of buildable explosion sound.
• Fixed player_spawn callback getting called every time a player executes /kill.
• Fixed suicide logic from running when player is already dead.
• Fixed score overflow at 32k by increasing size of networked score variable.
• Fixed missing voice hud icons.
• Fixed player:AddHealth function so it returns expected value. This fixes bug where you can pick up all ammo and armor bags if you weren't full health.
• Fixed display is + negative fort points(ie + -100)
• Fixed voice column to show chat on/off icons for other teams.
• Fixed # leaving off the rest of the string in chat messages if not matched to a localized string.
• Fixed disguise "enemy" to choose a random enemy team.
• Fixed infection/heal sound to play at appropriate times.
• Fixed kill/death messages not showing/tracking.
• Fixed tickrate 66 clamp.
• Fixed death view slant.
• Fixed %l displaying wrong team.
• Fixed medkit hit/infection sounds to play properly.
• Fixed sentrygun not being able to retarget closer targets
• Fixed sentrygun to favor all visible players over buildables(if they got a player as a target they will not target a buildable, regardless of distance)
• Added lua callbacks for player_connected & player_disconnected
• Added lua SetDamageForce for damageinfo
• Added DamageInfo:ScaleDamage function, exposed to lua
• Added player_onkill callback for player suicide so scripts can reject it(implemented in ff_hunted)
• Added DropToFloor() lua function that takes a base entity.
• Added client side spawn weapon cvars to control what weapon you equip on spawn.
• Added small spinup to AC so it no longer shoots immediately(and no heat buildup during spinup)
• Added buildable & grenade flags to the base trigger class & .fgd
• Added a progress bar to spy disguising.
• Changed to no blood shooting disguised teammates when ff is off.
• Changed AC to reduce HW speed when firing(and not dependent on charge level).
• Changed grenade and pipe damage radius up a bit
• Changed water exiting push force up a bit.
• Changed decals not to draw on players & buildables. Pretty certain this accounted for a majority of client crashes.
• Changed a bunch cvars people were using as cheats to cheat.
• Changed backpacks to non solid to fix them from blocking doors/elevators.
• Changed messagemode and messagemode2 binding to support auto starting the chat message. Ie, bind p "messagemode ^2" will begin the chat mode with ^2 already in the chat box.

Spawn Weapon Cvars
• cl_spawnweapon_scout - default nailgun
• cl_spawnweapon_sniper - default sniperrifle
• cl_spawnweapon_soldier - default rpg
• cl_spawnweapon_demoman - default grenadelauncher
• cl_spawnweapon_medic - default supernailgun
• cl_spawnweapon_hwguy - default assaultcannon
• cl_spawnweapon_pyro - default flamethrower
• cl_spawnweapon_engineer - default railgun
• cl_spawnweapon_spy - default tranq
• cl_spawnweapon_civilian - default tommygun

I love this mod, it really does capture everything that was wonderful about TFC and makes it better. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that warm goey feeling you get with the mad-max TFC medic – bloody thing’s a turbo-charged killing machine. ;) Also seeing, real, honest to goodness TFC teamwork for the first time in like half a decade just brings a tear to my eye.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

They needed to nerf the hw a bit, the medic infection spread is kinda.. odd. Installed the update but have yet to try it.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:20 am
Jigglyroom Admin

It grief's players? It only griefs ENEMY players -- and isn't that the fucking point?

"Uh oh, someone's running towards our flag and I'm a medic on offense. (Touch) Ah, that will save the flag, the poor bastard."

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:16 am
Site Admin

That would still work, actually... It just doesn't spread to his fellow teammates by touch.

I think they were on about the occasional llama who goes about deliberately spreading his infection to teammates and/or just keeps walking into the spawn to re-supply, not caring that he's infected (too many TF2 players have gotten into the habit of fearing death, maybe.)

But yeah, it's a bum move. Doesn’t bother me in itself, so much as the precedent it sets – removing key game play aspects because llamas may abuse them or because they annoy certain players is the philosophy that lead to the hell that is TF2. Like I said, midas well remove grenades cuz people don’t like spam, and the ability to launch teammates.

Besides, countering the plague with the a team medic was always fun, and a good way to wrack up massive amounts of free points.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW

removing key game play aspects because llamas may abuse them or because they annoy certain players is the philosophy that lead to the hell that is TF2.

Your logic here seems to be so incredibly in line with my own, I have to wonder why you try to keep me inside the maps.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:14 pm
Site Admin

Same reason I ban llama's who deliberately team infect. ;)

Infecting the enemy / curing your teammates is a legitimate aspect of gameplay in TFC. /stucking out of the map is not a legitimate aspect of gameplay in any game. ;)

…but of course, you know that. :P

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW

They could just make it if the teammate goes into spawn it doesnt infect teammates at all, and you cant get health either. You just sit there and die.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:57 am

That would defeat the purpose of aids, it's supposed to spread, and the respawn is the best place to spread it, much like the rest stops in california.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:21 pm

/stucking out of the map is not a legitimate aspect of gameplay in any game. ;)

…but of course, you know that. :P

Until the map makers fix their maps I can only disagree with you

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

I'd agree with you Yogurt, except that I believe that /stuck is a mod, isn't it?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm

I'd agree with you Yogurt, except that I believe that /stuck is a mod, isn't it?

A mod that has been around forever and incorporated into every mainstream server (case in point the mod free jiggly room). The developers are aware of it and have not yet removed the ability to /stuck out. Add to this the fact that thoth can prevent me from using most of them and you have no excuse on behalf of the developers to have not fixed it. Thus they are in there intentionally.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:11 pm
Site Admin

The mod is designed in such a way that the developers CAN'T prevent you from /stucking out without MAJOR map restructuring that would impact game performance. In addition, there are so many different /stuck plugins, that there's no way for the developers to simply block the plugin itself. The developers said they would work up their own /stuck plugin at one point, but as with all things, they instead opted to concentrate on things there’s no existing fix for, as per their usual policy.

I’ve been involved in enough half-life modding to know how frustrating it is to run into something like that. >_> (Effing AMX scripters sploiting our MSC maps and inventory all the effing time. You can‘t tell me that spawning yourself “The Sword of a Thousand Truths”, or what not, via a long existing plugin isn‘t cheating either.)

Outside of the map = outside of the game / out of bounds / CHEATING; team penalty, 50 yards. If you were supposed to be there, there’d be something to look at besides sky box and null brushes.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 am
Profile YIM WWW

Most mappers nowadays tend to account for the /stuck hack with sufficiently thick walls, but somehow the jerks find a way out of the map.

Also, /stuck is a standard issue in the AmxModx plugin load out if I remember correctly. Still, accounting for it can be a pain, but why crazy people actually take time to figure crap like this out is beyond me.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:43 pm

The mod is designed in such a way that the developers CAN'T prevent you from /stucking out without MAJOR map restructuring....

In said case how were you able to block me without restructuring the maps? With your work I didn't even need to re-download the map. Why don't you submit your fixes to the developers if its a feat of map making that they are unable to accomplish?

On a side note. Every /stuck point deals with corners, thin walls, holes in walls or some combination of the aforementioned. It's not magic getting outside it's just a keen eye and a sense of adventure.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next