Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
fortress forever released 
Site Admin

Saint Thoth wrote:
The mod is designed in such a way that the developers CAN'T prevent you from /stucking out without MAJOR map restructuring....

In said case how were you able to block me without restructuring the maps? With your work I didn't even need to re-download the map. Why don't you submit your fixes to the developers if its a feat of map making that they are unable to accomplish?

On a side note. Every /stuck point deals with corners, thin walls, holes in walls or some combination of the aforementioned. It's not magic getting outside it's just a keen eye and a sense of adventure.

Actually it doesn't even involve that, if you know where the entity brushes are.

My work, sadly, is not optimal. It involves copying groups of brushes which adds to the entity count. NS policy for optimization has a limit to the entity count, and several maps are at that limit. Beyond this my fixes are far from perfect, and you've already bypassed some of the more critical ones... And it was out of my love for you that I've not posted my fixes on the NS forums for all servers to have, as you know there'd be no where left for you to /stuck right quickly then, and no doubt someone would expand on my work to make sure of it.

The only way to do it optimially would be to clip-brush all the open areas, and that would involve downloading maps again and require access to the map sources - it'd also involve a few thousand hours of time in Hammer between all the maps - a few of which, I'm sure, the crew doesn't have the source for. Some of the better NS mappers already plugged their holes though - tis why there aren't /stuck sploits on every map, and in some places where it looks like you can easily escape the map, you can't.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:58 am
Profile YIM WWW

Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:28 am
Site Admin

Where on the internet do you think you are that you can make that demand? ;)

Seems a quick Fortress Forever 1.11 patch is in the works - and the community seems to have grown quite a bit since the 1.1 patch. They’ve said they’re going to un-nerf the HWG some, but I’ve not heard a peep about bringing the plague aspect back, nor do I know if we’re going to get the action oriented mobile HWG we had in 1.0 again.

It’s a wonderful mod, but I could easily see it going downhill. I had full faith in the team in 1.0, and not much changed in 1.1, but the few things that did set a bad precedent.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:08 am
Profile YIM WWW

Well it was pretty damn polished up and stable for a first release. Mind you it had tweaks that could have been made and fixes but its what new versions are for. I'm very impressed by this mod, havent seen another one come out like this in years.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 am

I want to try FF. When I get the game running, will it update a server list like all the other games, or should I hunt down an IP on the interweb and connect manually?

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

It should find games on its own... I've not played for awhile... I kinda gave up on that team when they started going towards Neo-TFC. What I really want is a more graphical version that plays like the original, but there's no team out there that seems interested in doing that. The U2k4 and Q3F ports are much more faithful than any of the Source ports.

It was fun in 1.0 - but it's just gone to crap since then, so it seems to me, as it moves further and further form its source material with every patch.

Sad, when I first got it, it was the only thing keeping me calm enough not to blow up Valve HQ after I found what a travesty TF2 was.

PVK was worth it for the short time it kept my interest… I guess… But I still feel very, very dirty for investing in the Orange Box.

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

It should find games on its own... I've not played for awhile... I kinda gave up on that team when they started going towards Neo-TFC. What I really want is a more graphical version that plays like the original, but there's no team out there that seems interested in doing that. The U2k4 and Q3F ports are much more faithful than any of the Source ports.

It was fun in 1.0 - but it's just gone to crap since then, so it seems to me, as it moves further and further form its source material with every patch.

Sad, when I first got it, it was the only thing keeping me calm enough not to blow up Valve HQ after I found what a travesty TF2 was.

PVK was worth it for the short time it kept my interest… I guess… But I still feel very, very dirty for investing in the Orange Box.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 am
Site Admin

Insurgency? Bleh, I tried that… Seems to me like a beta game trying to sell its lack of completeness as “ultra-realismâ€

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6