Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
TF2 
Site Admin

Perhaps it's roughly analogous to stripping marines of the silent crouched backwards bunnyhop.

From the sound of things, I r thinking more akin to the difference between NS and (shudders to type the acronym) CO. Tisn't a simple change of physics, tis removing entire aspects of game play in favor of the all mighty LCD.

Still, anything's gotta be better than what we got now. I was just was hoping for more along the lines of "what we had then" - but prettier. ;) Seems we'll never see that game again.

Thothie

Thu May 24, 2007 8:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Still, anything's gotta be better than what we got now. I was just was hoping for more along the lines of "what we had then" - but prettier. ;) Seems we'll never see that game again.

er... what about fortress forever?

bind k "amx_kick STEAM_0:0:3700026"

Thu May 24, 2007 9:35 am
Profile WWW

FF looks more interesting, and true to what TFC was/is. Like CSS, looks like there just changing everything and then sticking a TF2 label on it.

Thu May 24, 2007 2:49 pm

gawd i'm fucked =/

Thu May 24, 2007 3:12 pm
Site Admin

I wouldn't know about FF. I've not purchased HL2 yet and thus could not play it. :D From the screens I've seen of it, however, it didn't even look any better. But maybe it will yet serve as one last vestage where video game grenades are more about skill than chance... Well, except MIRVS... MIRVS are just plain h4x. (Okay, we could go into EMP's and just cut holes the size of Texas into that argument) ;)

Thu May 24, 2007 3:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

well FF isn't out yet... its in beta which is why you haven't heard me rave about it yet.

And dont be so negative thoth ( i know its hard for you). Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hRUAxwidN4&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efortress%2Dforever%2Ecom%2F of some action. It looks like a nice graphic update with similar physics.

They made some changes like scouts can double jump and spys can cloak, but they kept most things traditional, including no teleporters.

Thu May 24, 2007 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Now THAT looks better than the snippets I saw, and all around more promising, if not as pretty as the upcoming official release. Giving sniper wall h4x, and letting the spy use the knife without un-disguising, not to mention reprogramming sentries, seems it maybe a bit much, but it is at least adding aspects, rather than removing them - a much better philosophy to work from, IMO. Spy and Pyro always needed some help anyways, also IMO.

I'm not such a purest that the teleporters bothered me so much, except that some of the older maps were not designed with them in mind, and they lead to some sploitz.

Those clips from FF remind me of Q3F - which I actually enjoyed - the only thing it was really missing was the "edgie" HL1 physics and netcode, but I'm not expecting to keep that in any case (although there seems to be some effort in FF to maintain even that). Indeed, the map design styling looks the same as Q3F, so it may even be the same team.

But *cough* they'll never finish it, yeah... (Whew! I was almost sounding optimistic there for a second!)
Dogbert: "Its 14th, right after foolish optimism."
- "Dilbert"

Thothie

Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Havent bought HL2 yet? Wish i was that smart. What a fucking waste of $60.

Thu May 24, 2007 7:11 pm
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

YEAH BUT IF I DIDDNT HAVE HL2 HOW WOULD I KNOW HOW GOOD MY UBER GAMING RIGZ ISZ!!!!!!!!

Thu May 24, 2007 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

YEAH BUT IF I DIDDNT HAVE HL2 HOW WOULD I KNOW HOW GOOD MY UBER GAMING RIGZ ISZ!!!!!!!!

Benchmark testers, DUH! :P

Eh, I liked HL2. I didn't spend $60 on it, but I thoroughly enjoyed playing through it. In fact, I played through it twice.

As for FF, though I hardly (if ever) play TFC, I agree about adding features instead of removing. More complexity implies they are not catering to the LCD. (LCD threw me for a few seconds, Thoth; even after all my math, I deal with displays in my job.) My guess is that the community values surrounding FF will be quite different than for TF2, though there's potential for FF to become the "whine, why isn't it the way I LIKE IT" group.

Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 pm

As a single player game I thought halflife 2 was pretty good. The plot could have used some help I suppose, but I guess that's why they are releasing episode 1-3 (I haven't played episode 1 yet).

I am actually looking forward to TF2 and Portals. I'm not sure if jiggs is planning on hosting a server, but i would deffinately come back to the ways of FPS gaming if so. I haven't had much of anything to play lately, I keep wanting to reinstall steam and NS/TFC back on my computer, but I am always so space inhibited. I am so desperate I have started playing Starcraft again. D:

Sat May 26, 2007 9:10 am
Jigglyroom Admin

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/791/791200p1.html

Nice article on TF2. Gives class descriptions. Seems to be written by someone who has never heard of tfc, which is a little dishearting. He'll brag about things that are standard in tfc and claim they are the most innovative things.

I'm almost dissappointed after reading. Enemy medic + disguised spy = ultimate exploit.

Sat May 26, 2007 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Pyro sounds pretty useless too. Granted, outside of Q3F, I've not seen a real good pyro. That effer spewed long distance napalm (like 20 yards) that'd blind, stick to stuff, and make you run in random directions. Plus it looked really nice.

But yeah, that's basically the impression I got from the video interview I posted. These people have never played TFC, and indeed, in one case, had hardly ever even played any multi-player games. I suspect they were just tossed the project, given the spec sheet, and told "remake this game for the XBOX please."

Sat May 26, 2007 4:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The melee weapons are kind of amusing, but... aw, this really sounds like crap.

"Thanks to a comprehensive stat-tracking tool, you'll be able to measure every aspect of your performance." Is he talking about... a score menu? Or is he talking about some god-forsaken form of persistent SteamID / XBox Live stat whoring?

Sun May 27, 2007 5:52 am

TF2 gives the added satisfaction of a kill cam. Snipe an opponent and the last thing they see before respawning is a still shot of your murderous pose.

While that does sound pretty cool i am sure it will get obnoxious extremely fast. It will A. slow down gameplay, B. give away your position. Can you imagine how lame sniping on 2 fort would be if you had to sit through a kill cam every time you died? Especially for bella.

Sun May 27, 2007 8:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next