Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Random NS Server kicking + Solution! 

NS Jigglyroom is currently kicking people randomly after a bit of time. Was directed to link his pinkiness or Thothie to this fix over here:

(basically you need to update the game files)

---er I can't find the link. It's somewhere in the naturalselection.com forums.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:34 pm

very helpful, you even include a link to the server sub forums...

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 pm
Site Admin

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/ind ... owforum=18

I see nothing new here, save folks complaining about STEAM Ticket failures, but no solution there to. You'll need to be more specific. :/

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:25 am
Profile YIM WWW

hahah, ok, well last night on jig's I logged on and some guy said it was on the NS server forums...but he couldn't remember the link...

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:50 am

After being depressed at the state of non-Jiggly NS, I investigated the issues some more. I talked to Asmodee, leader of EvolveNS who is pretty knowledgeable about these things. Here's the conversation:

----------
Hey Asmodee, you might remember me, I pugged with Evolve just a couple times a summer or two ago. Anyway I've been kinda inactive lately, but my home server "Jigglypuff's NS Jigglyroom" is having these strange issues wherein clients get kicked after playing for just a few minutes. In between the times I played on it working and not working was the big "NS Classic mode getting broken" fiasco. Anyway, I was wondering if you have heard of random kicking as an issue and any fixes you may have.

Thanks!

Long Live NS!

--------
Asmodee:

A couple of days ago steam was having issues for a few hours that were affecting all HL1 mods, which may be what you're referring to. People would just randomly get disconnected after 5-10 minutes. I forget what the error message was, but it was clearly a steam error.

I'm not aware of any currently running problems and I have no problems on myserver, so that leads to server specific issues.

I never really played on jiggly due to my ping (I'm east coast). Do you happen to know what message appears in console? If it's an svc_bad was the last message an AmmoPickup msg? This seems to be a common problem which can be increased due to plugins, which if I recall, Jiggly doesn't really run any.

-------
Me:

I get disconnected with a popup box:

You have been disconnected from the server.
Reason: Error verifying STEAM UserID Ticket(server was
unable to contact the authentication server).

So, the last time I played, everyone was reporting getting the boot after playing for 4-5 minutes, as I just tested today.

The last couple lines from my console:
Code:
Error verifying STEAM UserID Ticket(server was
unable to contact the authentication server).

Host_EndGame: Server disconnected

---------
Asmodee:

This (while is probably obvious from the message) is due to a connection issue between the game server and steam. This is often just a (temporary) steam error. But the internet as a whole has many many networks comprising it with many many different routes and it is possible that random network issues between the server and steam (of which neither the server's network nor steam's network is to blame) will cause the problem.

If this persists over the course of a day, happens at certain times of the day over several days, then I would look to the network the game server is on. I do not believe this is a problem with the game server itself, unless the machine the game server is hosted on has some sort of firewall or other packet filtering that may be interferring.

-----------------
Me:

Thanks for the help. But, yes, this has been going on for a few months now. But your suspicions point towards the network the server is on?

-------------------
Asmodee:

It is one of the following:

1) network the server is directly connected to
2) a network between the server and steam (but not steam specifically)
3) the actual computer the game server software is running on

It is possible that if there is any firewall, antivirus, or any sort of black listing software running that it may be inadvertently affecting the connection to steam. I'd actually start with looking at 3 as that's the easiest. Is Jiggly Puff a rented server from a game host, or does the owner of Jiggly Puff have complete control of the server? If it's from a game host then it's unlikely that there is antivirus or firewalls on there that would interfere with steam as they'd have problems with other customers, however if it's not a game server rental, but instead a complete server rental, then that may be the case.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 pm
Site Admin

Ye've deleted your ClientRegistry.blob and all that jazz I take it?

Well, the folks at the NS forums have no solution at the moment...

Considering we've got an uncontrolled block on certain addresses already (see IP Range of Dewm thread) it wouldn't surprise me if we had something blocking us from part of the Steam network as well. We could try manually setting our master servers, but I don't think the latest versions of the HLDS let you do that anymore.

If that were the case, it would affect all the mods though - although the source mods and HL1 mods may use different authentication servers - and no one plays any of the other HL1 mod Jigglyrooms. :/
"Because they want you to purchase hotdogs and buns in lots of 24." - Answers to Life's Most Difficult Questions #5
Thothie

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:27 am
Profile YIM WWW

Ye've deleted your ClientRegistry.blob and all that jazz I take it?

What is that? Could you tell me about this process? It's worth a try.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 pm
Site Admin

Close Steam... Browse to your Steam folder. Find file named "ClientRegistry.blob". Take large knife. Stab through screen. (Or click it and press delete.)

'case ye be so nubs ye can't find ye Steam folder, right clicking on the Steam icon in your Start Menu, clicking Properties, and then Find Target, should get ye there.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 am
Profile YIM WWW

my steamapps/thatannoyingkid/hl/ns is in my run menu constantly =/

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Soooooo did that work for anyone? I remember doing that to fix cs after certain updates, but for the whole server?

We had a bunch of old jiggly's peeps on there a couple weeks ago, but since if the aliens evolved they would just get kicked, we all just left. I miss ns and I'm sick of being on the top of lists on those gay 20000 v 20000 servers that are the only ones left with people regularly on. The games are shitty and yeah, I'm always on the top of the lists which is a sad, sad thing.

Any other suggestions? I want to get my ass kicked again.

Oh, and since I got a new computer, I can post here again. I'm sure you're all very pleased.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Soooooo did that work for anyone? I remember doing that to fix cs after certain updates, but for the whole server?

We had a bunch of old jiggly's peeps on there a couple weeks ago, but since if the aliens evolved they would just get kicked, we all just left. I miss ns and I'm sick of being on the top of lists on those gay 20000 v 20000 servers that are the only ones left with people regularly on. The games are shitty and yeah, I'm always on the top of the lists which is a sad, sad thing.

Any other suggestions? I want to get my ass kicked again.

Oh, and since I got a new computer, I can post here again. I'm sure you're all very pleased.

I feel you on that Rj. I'm going to try it right now.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Annnnd, it still kicks after about 4 minutes :/

This is definitely a separate issue from the IP Range of dewm.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Something tells me that this issue will not be fixed any time soon. I'm going to miss you guys.

Love,

Rj

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 pm

Is there really no way to just wipe the server and reinstall the server files from the NS website?

Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 pm
Site Admin

Yes, except it wouldn't do nuttin (also hasn't been very long since the last time we did it).

There aren't a whole lotta files in the NS folder that change. Basically just the logs, banlist, and the config.cfg - which has nothing new in it (with the exception a recent increase of bots). There's only one file that has any active code, outside of the plugins (ns.dll/so) - the rest is all media and verification files.

The core HLDS server files, on the other hand, are numerous and change regularly, but they are not from the NS website, rather Steam force-feeds them to the server, and if they don't match with what the baby eater wants, the server isn't allowed to connect to the Steam network at all. Thus those are essentially beyond our control.

It maybe some HLDS update has screwed with one of our plugins. I could strip metamod out of the config entirely, but it would cripple most of our admins (plus no voting and no /stuck). If the server did this Steam Ticket thing reliably I'd do it as an experiment, but I can't get it to do it for me.

edit: Holy sh*t! The user count's over 9000! (prob time for a restart.) :oops:
"Tragedy struck today in Sector 9 as rebel terrorists blew up the Death Star killing thousands. The Rebel Alliance, a fringe group of Anti-Empire fanatics, has claimed responsibility for the terrorist act. Fortunately Lord Vader escaped without harm. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims." - News Radio '97
Thothie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next