Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Map Rotation 

Hello!
I was wondering if you would ever consider changing the map rotation. I'm not sure about the exact order, but it seems like the rotation is somewhat split between new and old. Maps like eon, ayumi, altair, and lucid are all grouped together. Don't get me wrong I like these maps, but playing all of them one after another is a bit tiresome. I think alternating between new and old maps would make the server feel alot fresher. Just my opinion.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:31 pm

no xmenu

but just like your suggestion, no one really cares

sorry timebandit

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:48 pm

agreed on the 13 lvl co . . . 10 is weak, xmenu is gay. shotting skulks is easy enough without lvl 5 cybernetics :/
throw some latejoin in with that yah

too bad none of that will ever happen . . . rotation, ok maybe, but i think the only thing other than that would be if they raised the starting res time to 1:30 instead of 1:00

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:30 am
Site Admin

I've changed the rotation around so many times now - there are too many map haters, there's no way to please them all. In addition, I hate map haters, so I'm the last person to be doing so.
"Map hating is the path to the dark side. Map hating leads to all co servers, all co servers leads to cs lovers, cs lovers leads to all2fort. Once you have all2fort in your mod, forever will it dominate its destiny." – j0d4
Thothie

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:40 am
Profile YIM WWW

interesting how 13 lvl vanilla co was not shot down

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:01 am
Site Admin

Do we have a CO server? Cuz if not, I'm not going through the trouble of adding CPU intensive plugins that'll screw up the NS server ever more. Last thing I want to do is encourage CO on the NS server in anycase, there's very few pure NS servers left.

Every CO plugin we've tried has failed miserably. Even when we find a plugin that works, it has has to be updated with every NS update, and every six or so Steam updates, at which point we have to “prayâ€

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

I've changed the rotation around so many times now - there are too many map haters, there's no way to please them all. In addition, I hate map haters, so I'm the last person to be doing so.
"Map hating is the path to the dark side. Map hating leads to all co servers, all co servers leads to cs lovers, cs lovers leads to all2fort. Once you have all2fort in your mod, forever will it dominate its destiny." – j0d4
Thothie

We should change the map rotation anyway. Throw in NS_Rampage, that map is cool. Perfect for the 9v9 matches on Jiggly's.

http://65.18.161.202/ns_rampage.zip

It's nice to have some diversity, changing things around every once in awhile will do that. Screw complaints just make it random.

Also, please reduce round time to 15 minutes. Every night we have a game that lasts exactly 16 minutes and everyone gets to the ready room and says "new map!"

--Locane

Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:13 am
Site Admin

We, as a general rule, don't do custom maps... (See FAQ)

I've been considering working up a plugin that rigged it so there were always two games per map, lest some sort of vote went through to time out the map, but meh, time. I like two rounds per map, as it gives you a chance to experience the map from both sides - but if you've been on the map a real long time (say, more than 30 minutes) it's time for fresh meat anyways, so I'm kinda torn, as the current system is not without its merits, imo. Just be better if it was rigged to two games max.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 am
Profile YIM WWW

Every CO plugin we've tried has failed miserably. Even when we find a plugin that works, it has has to be updated with every NS update, and every six or so Steam updates, at which point we have to “prayâ€

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:04 pm

but just like your suggestion, no one really cares

I want to die...

Anyway, I don't think this is that unreasonable. I hear alot of people complain or leave the server after the dreaded rotation of the new maps. Eon, Ayumi, Altair, and Lucid are all good maps... its just they feel somewhat similar. By the end of the stretch it feels like a kick in my metal balls. Plus, I don't think its that hard to change the rotation. If it doesn't work out you can always change it back. Honestly I think the greater majority will aprove of it.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:55 pm
Site Admin

Eon, Ayumi, Altair, and Lucid

The problem is, contrary to popular opinion, you aren't everyone. Someone else will hate Machina, and love Lucid. Some people hate Eclipse and love Altair. Some people want 24/7 ns_siege_007. Suffice to say, we can't please everyone, and a standard map rotation is the best way to piss off everyone equally. More importantly this prevents us from falling into the trap of doing the same maps, over and over again, and eventually falling into the all2fort trap in an effort to get obsessive compulsive clients that in the end, we shouldn’t want to have around.

The intention of the current layout is to make sure the smaller maps start first after a server crash, and that, insomuch as possible, co and ns maps are interspersed so if the server population dumps, odds will be a co map will be next up to fool some people into coming back in. It’s been played with tens of thousands of times and is by now a work of aesthetic and poetic art to be held up as an example of the definition of perfection for generations to come. I really don’t see any need to fiddle with it anymore.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The problem is, contrary to popular opinion, you aren't everyone

Wrong.

Anyway, Thoth you are missing the point. I never said I disliked any map. All I said is that certain maps that feel similar are bunched together. This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with what maps are better than others. Another example: we can all agree that eclipse and veil are brother and sister (Veil being the hotter sister who seduces her brother into a relationship that will shatter their lives for all eternity). Spacing those 2 maps apart would also be a good idea. Maybe throw Ayumi (arbitrary) inbetween them. I have no problem with any of the maps, don't think any maps should be removed, and don't think any new maps should be added.

You really should consider this. Anyone agree with me or am I gonna have to do all this shit by myself?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:17 pm

I've noticed that ayumi --> Machina tends to kill the server latenight

but w/e

[edit]
or is it lucid --> machina

who really cares?
[/edit]

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:25 pm

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm

moar like you and the rest of sb coming and dishing out copious amounts of ownage!!!1five

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next