Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
TF2 Question 

JP could you add cp_lazytown to your server plz?

It's a small fast paced cp map.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:39 am

yar, custom maps kill servers. I don't think the tf2 room needs any more help dying at the moment :(.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm not sure if that really applies to TF2 yet. Looking at the server list, it seems like most servers out there run custom maps(*ok so not most, but there's alot and they have people one em). And this is a small map, it's probably about the size of 2fort. It's really fast paced. The servers I see running it are always full.

If you want to check it out, ask me and I'll give ya an ip where I been playing it at. I've had to wait to join every time I've tried to play there. It seems is 24/7 lazytown so far. I've only been playing there like 3 days now and I havent seen any other map yet.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Custom maps kill TF2 servers. Esp if you don't have a fast non-server side (Ie: web-based download source) location to provide custom maps in under 30 seconds.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Generally speaking, however, we don't do custom maps. I think the motivation for the policy is not only the download time involved, but also the quality control issue. The latter is probably less of an issue with TF2 though, I'm sure some third party mappers have found ways of making that game than the original team did.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW

mayhaps, I mean there are only 5 maps that came with the game when it was released back in what october? They are getting pretty stale by now. However, I do think when people are playing a normal map, then the map goes to change and a download starts, many people just have the tendency to drop.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:40 am
Site Admin

Well, get me a link to the map and I'll see what I can do... While yer at it, get me a link to the RTV plugin or whatnot, as I'd much prefer a setup where the map was not in rotation but could be voted in.

(And yes, I seem to have low level access to the TF2 server now... I'll try not to "accidentally" turn it into an FF server.)

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Ok so here's the link for d/l: cp_lazytown

Before you load it here's what ya need to know.

It's a rather small 5 cp map.

I've been playing it on a server that seems to be playing it 24/7.

It's a fast paced map on a "No Respawn Timer" server, however that may be the reason it's fast paced. However, fast paced meaning that you die alot and spawn alot, not so much on the capping of all 5 cp's. I have seen very few "all caps" actually, and that may be the reason the server stays full.

Every time I've played on that server I've had to wait to join it.

Here is a review:
Quote:
A first generation custom map with some interesting features. The spawn is very close to the first cap and this makes it very difficult to cap out. That said, if you really work at it then it is possible to cap out but requires a lot of team work.

Still, for a first generation custom map, its a fun map to play. Engineers teleporters a must!!!!

As for the RTV, I havent really found much but I'll keep looking. Here's a link to what I've found so far.. here

AMX Mod? Not sure if this is the right one or not.. Also here's a link to Allied Modders Forums which may contain what you are looking for.

Are you looking for Meta Mod or Source Mod plugins?

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Site Admin

OOooh.. I *played* that one... The map of perpetual stalemate! ;)

Heh, that was the only time I had a good time playing TF2. Ironically, I also think it was the last time, as it more or less demonstrated to me that the game was so unbalanced that it required those god awful respawn timers to work. ;)

Hmm... May take me a bit to figure out, but it seems RTV is part of SourceMod (apparently, the new AMX).

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Ya I been havin a blast on that server, and I can see how the respawn timer can make that map work, but what fun would that be? This is the map that actually has me interested in TF2. hehe

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:40 pm
Site Admin

Blaaah... Okay, I lied... Sorry to get your hopes up. >_>

I coulda sworn I saw a TF2 folder in my box, but I guess I was wrong. :( I went to all the trouble of assembling a directory to port over too.

Blargness...

To The Great Pink One:
If ye wish to enable SourceMod (ie. neo-AMX) to the TF2 server, wget the tree here:
http://www.thothie.com/4jiggly6/4tf2/

That tree also includes cp_lazytown in the maps folder, and a maps.ini file configured accordingly. The admin.cfg is not setup though. I think RTV (rockthevote) is enabled by default.

You'll also want to put cp_lazytown on the custom content server, and set the sv_downloadurl accordingly for fast downloads.
http://www.thothie.com/4jiggly6/4tf2/ma ... zytown.bsp

Bloody 14mb... Sadly, that's about as small as Source maps get. ><

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Custom maps kill a server? Theres only what 4-5 stock maps, 2 are new the rest are remakes of tfc maps that have been around 8 or so years already.....

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:11 pm
Site Admin

In most other mods, I'd assume people would get tired of waiting to download 14MB (for a SMALL map) and move onto another server. But I figure you have to have zen like patients to play TF2, as you spend about as much time sitting around doing nothing as that'd take to download that at 56k, twice, per game, anyway, so they may not even notice the pause in "action". ;)
but you must escape the gay man's ass so your tale can be told!" - The Song of Lemmingwinks the Gerbil

Thothie

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Custom maps kill a server? Theres only what 4-5 stock maps, 2 are new the rest are remakes of tfc maps that have been around 8 or so years already.....

While I will agree the maps have gotten stale in the 3 months since their conception (or longer) but keep in mind that the popular JR server is the TFC room not the map rotation room. I do know of a few custom map servers that have done well but most likely because of a regular following. I wouldn't mind a few custom maps to break up the monotony, but i'd rather have people actually on the server more.

I think if we install an instant spawn mod on the server, (and maybe denote it in the title) we will have a more positive reaction, and as more full server.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next