Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
TF2 Question 

fixxor wrote:
Custom maps kill a server? Theres only what 4-5 stock maps, 2 are new the rest are remakes of tfc maps that have been around 8 or so years already.....

While I will agree the maps have gotten stale in the 3 months since their conception (or longer) but keep in mind that the popular JR server is the TFC room not the map rotation room. I do know of a few custom map servers that have done well but most likely because of a regular following. I wouldn't mind a few custom maps to break up the monotony, but i'd rather have people actually on the server more.

I think if we install an instant spawn mod on the server, (and maybe denote it in the title) we will have a more positive reaction, and as more full server.

Instant respawn is exactly what I look for when I'm trying to find servers.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 pm

I agree, anyone who used to play TFC won't play on a normal TF2 server, we need the insta/quick spawn man. It's like our fix. :shock:

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 am
Site Admin

I'm not sure if that's a SourceMod plugin or a map edit fix. It's true, in my last painful days of playing TF2, that's what I looked for. Also discovered that a lot of the servers lied about having it just to bring in most customers. (Still had 20 sec+ respawn times)

Those respawn times aren't the only major issue with the game, but they are certainly in the top 5, and indicative of the other four. ;)
"I've done horrifying things with salad tongs. It's really eaten into my social life." -Johnny, in JtHM #6
Thothie

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm not sure if that's a SourceMod plugin or a map edit fix. It's true, in my last painful days of playing TF2, that's what I looked for. Also discovered that a lot of the servers lied about having it just to bring in most customers. (Still had 20 sec+ respawn times)

Those respawn times aren't the only major issue with the game, but they are certainly in the top 5, and indicative of the other four. ;)
"I've done horrifying things with salad tongs. It's really eaten into my social life." -Johnny, in JtHM #6
Thothie

I'm not sure exactly how the quick spawn works, from my understanding you can alter the spawn timer for each team of each map individually. I have played on servers that are literally instant, and I have played on servers where depending on the team and the map the spawn time is reduced or instant. For example 2fort = instant, but deffenders on dustbowl have like a 5 second spawn timer, attackers have instant spawn. etc.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:59 pm
Site Admin

Finally got RockTheVote working on the TF2 server (type RTV in chat) - you can even vote for the map of perpetual stalemate, if you so wish.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look into the instant respawn thing after the 1st. Last few days of the month always deadly for me. >_>
[i]“Actually, I — this may sound a little West Texan to you, but I like it. When I’m talking about — when I’m talking about myself, and when he’s talking about myself, all of us are talking about me.â€

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 am
Profile YIM WWW

I'll spend some time on the server this weekend and see if we can get it busy. I'm sure the short respawn timer will be a big help when ya get a chance to get it up. (Link to disable respawn timer)

Here's a link for TF2 Wiki, there's probably some useful info there to help get that set up w/ the timer thing. It seems to be a good source of general info and there's alot of links to other TF2 stuff there as well.

Ya think it's possible to maybe get another map loaded on the server for map vote? I know it's askin alot from ya, but your the best! This one is a melee map. Funny as hell and it's a small download. Ya think? Will ya? Huh? Huh? Will ya? Please? The map is Melee_ringking. The link is here. Please? :D

<3 Thoth

Last edited by bullgod on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 am

Yes, sounds awesome. Thanks a bunch thoth.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:49 am
Site Admin

I'm not absolutely sure though, as I didn't have anyone around to do a multiplayer test with. I’m also a little worried that it may have messed something else up. I *tried* to remove the sudden death option, and it seems to have ignored that change. :(

If ye manage to get a few peeps together, test it out, and report back. If it works out okay, I'll stick {Instant Respawn!} on the end of the hostname or some such.

PS. Also added ctf_well to rotation... Sure it's the same bloody map with flags, but it's something else to do, I suppose.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:49 am
Profile YIM WWW

I went in and checked it out, insti spawn seems to be working fine. Thank you!! :D

I just killed myself a few times to see if it was working. Didnt stick around long enuff or have enuff people (myself) to go to sudden death. But I'll hang out there tonite and we'll see what happens.

About RTV, it only seems to list like 5 maps to vote for, does it just list random maps or is there a way to get it to list them all?

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 am
Site Admin

There's only 6 maps to choose from, total. I think the rtv thing can only display 6 at a time, max. ...and since one of those six would be the map you are currently on...

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:47 am
Profile YIM WWW

The setup time for the second round on dustbowl seemed to carry over the time earned from the first round. So while i was screwing around on the server earlier, there was a 6 minute setup timer for the second round of dustbowl.

I'll go check the other maps that have a setup time.

*edit*
upon further inspection, it appears to only be dustbowl.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:54 pm

The server I play TF2 on had the same problem with dustbowl. I forget what they had to do to resolve it.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Was afraid of something along those lines. I fiddled with dustbowl and notice it gave 4 minutes of setup time to the defense team on the second round. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not (been so long since I tried TF2, and it seemed the sort of thing that team would do.)

I've uploaded another copy of Dustbowl, see if this one works out - if not, I'll have to go do some reading on the TF2 SDK regarding the team_round_timer entity.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2