WARPATH SERVER 

Avanti
Well
Crossover2
2fort
Ravelin

Please thx :D

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 am

Right on JP thank you :D Sounds like fun 8)

I really like rock2 but some people feel its to much of a defensive map.Its just like any map a little communication and some good teamwork.So many funny moments for sure. Watching people run for gas suits,water,etc.People falling down the rail car shaft and the plank shaft are LMAO moments for sure... :lol:

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:18 am
Site Admin

Hrmm... There art a problem with the new TFC server, everytime it gets to well, it crashes about 5 minutes in. I think it maybe something the bots are doing. (Tested twice)

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dear Leader

Hrmm... There art a problem with the new TFC server, everytime it gets to well, it crashes about 5 minutes in. I think it maybe something the bots are doing. (Tested twice)

I'll take well out of the rotation for now then. The bots are necessary to build up a regular userbase. When it can get populated consistently, I'll take the bots out.

Regarding several of the map suggestions:

(FYI - There was a tremendous amount of thought put into the old map rotation for both the normal and "other" server - and the maxplayercount was kept in mind.)

rock2: No. The map isn't good for a 32 player server. There are too many narrow choke points, everyone stays in their base, and nobody ever caps the flag. I've gone ahead and temporarily put it in however as a replacement for dustbowl. See reason below.

cz2: I think I'm the only person that ever liked this map. I'm keeping it out due to its ability to quickly clear out the server.

dustbowl: removed it because it doesn't work with our current audience size. as the server's popularity grows, I'll add it back in.

badlands: I'm old and my memory's failing me - I don't remember what the map looks like.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:21 pm
Profile WWW

rock2: No. The map isn't good for a 32 player server. There are too many narrow choke points, everyone stays in their base, and nobody ever caps the flag. I've gone ahead and temporarily put it in however as a replacement for dustbowl. See reason below.

badlands: I'm old and my memory's failing me - I don't remember what the map looks like.

To well :( I love that map.

To rock2, I like that map as well but i can understand how large server size would make it stinky.

To badlands: Map takes place in a canyon with a central bridge and alternate path down in the canyon which leads to the enemy base via an underground pipe system. The flag is down in a silo and you have to jump down on it and climb out a ladder to get out.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Site Admin

Heh, well my old-fart memory recalls you ranting about how you hated that map... I think it was kinda "tossed in" via some patch a ways back. It has flags in pits in two bases separated by a curving sniper-fest dual-level canyon. One of the unique features that may jar your memory, is that it is the only map (that I know of) in which there is a delay before the flags spawn, presumably, to give both sides time to setup defenses (there being about a dozen ways into the flag room, although without conc/gren/pipe/rocket jumping, only one way out.)

I can’t recall what your complaint about the map was, however. Maybe it was simply too large, and too much time spent journeying through NML to the actual battle, or too difficult to defend – discarding the fact that the offense has to travel so far.

I dunno if you can rig the bots not to spawn on Well. It's a good map when there's very few players (mayhaps better, when there are few players, as when there are many, it seems one side or the other inevitably gives up counting flags early on.) Maybe if you delete the associated waypoint file they wont spawn? (Or wont do whatever it is that's causing the crash?)

I still think Rock2 is good with 16 or fewer players, you could put a maxplayers thingie on it, same with Dustbowl, for a min players.
"The history of warfare is similarly subdivided through the three phases of: retribution, anticipation, and diplomacy. Thus, retribution: 'I’m going to kill you because you killed my brother.' Anticipation: 'I’m going to kill you because I killed your brother.' And diplomacy: 'I’m going to kill my brother and then kill you on the pretext that your brother did it.'" - Douglas Adams
Thothie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I dunno if you can rig the bots not to spawn on Well. It's a good map when there's very few players

I still think Rock2 is good with 16 or fewer players, you could put a maxplayers thingie on it, same with Dustbowl, for a min players.

I like both of these ideas.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:49 pm
Dear Leader

Saint Thoth wrote:
I dunno if you can rig the bots not to spawn on Well. It's a good map when there's very few players

I like both of these ideas.

Excellent suggestions. Here's what the current mapcycle looks like:

//Final Rotation
casbah
#well
badlands "\minplayers\16\maxplayers\32"
dustbowl "\minplayers\16\maxplayers\32"
rock2 "\minplayers\0\maxplayers\16"
flagrun
avanti
2fort
ravelin

# = Well's commented out because I haven't figured out how to disable the bots just for one map - removing the map-specific waypoints, configs, etc. didn't seem to help so I'll keep looking into it.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Still crashes if ye kill the waypoint file? I figure maybe they were trying to go to some invalid/corrupt waypoint, and that might cause the crash (or trying to build an SG under something.)

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Looks like an awesome rotation, I can't wait to try it out.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm
Dear Leader

Still crashes if ye kill the waypoint file? I figure maybe they were trying to go to some invalid/corrupt waypoint, and that might cause the crash (or trying to build an SG under something.)

It'd like to say that was it - I actually tried re-acquiring the well files and didn't see any differences except for 1 file:

$ ls -al areas/ | grep -i well
-rw-rw-r-- 1 panduck panduck 30848 Aug 5 2092 well.far
-rw------- 1 panduck panduck 30848 Dec 19 2004 well.far.orig

$ ls -al scripts/ | grep -i well
-rw-rw-r-- 1 panduck panduck 434 Aug 5 2092 well_fb.cfg
-rw------- 1 panduck panduck 413 Dec 19 2004 well_fb.cfg.orig

$ ls -al waypoints/ | grep -i well
-rw-rw-r-- 1 panduck panduck 13797 Aug 5 2092 well.fwp
-rw------- 1 panduck panduck 13797 Dec 19 2004 well.fwp.orig

...well_fb.cfg in the scripts section was off but when I compared the 2 files, I didn't see anything different between the 2:

$ diff scripts/well_fb.cfg scripts/well_fb.cfg.orig
1,21c1,21
< //well script
< //point 7 & 8 are the detpack points for each side
< //point 1 & 2 are the flag locations only reachable via the blown grate and therefor only available when blown
< //waypoint based multipathing
<
< on_start
< {
< blue_available_only_point8
< red_available_only_point7
< }
<
< on_msg(#well_bgrate_destroyed)
< {
< red_available_only_point2
< }
<
< on_msg(#well_rgrate_destroyed)
< {
< blue_available_only_point1
< }
<
---
> //well script
> //point 7 & 8 are the detpack points for each side
> //point 1 & 2 are the flag locations only reachable via the blown grate and therefor only available when blown
> //waypoint based multipathing
>
> on_start
> {
> blue_available_only_point8
> red_available_only_point7
> }
>
> on_msg(#well_bgrate_destroyed)
> {
> red_available_only_point2
> }
>
> on_msg(#well_rgrate_destroyed)
> {
> blue_available_only_point1
> }
>

I dunno, maybe there's some hidden line wrap or something funky in there but I've put the newer file into service and we'll see what happens.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Seems to be workin now - just wish we could get the darn thing populated. :cry:

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

cz2 was one of my favorite maps, though it was never popular cept in the beginning days of tfc when people used to play it.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:06 pm

TFC map rotation on the normal TFC server. Nobody wants to play with a bunch of bots. :\

VTB Dark Willow

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next