Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Cheaters/Trolls/Hackers/General Server Issues 

Wait a lil more, NS is not dead yet. Is just plain and simple burocratic stupidity. Someone got the axe for it, I'm pretty sure.

At the end, get in touch with the admin staff at <BAD> they have 2 linux servers running now without problems... Well, you know what I mean, random crashes and such but that is another story, so it is possible. Did you never saw "The Secret"?

Goddamnit.

P.S. Oh, and awesome game dear mastha, I just finished "The last exit", Area 51 was a wonderful piece of art. Thank you so much I really really really enjoyed it.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:20 pm
Site Admin

Sadly, the <BAD> servers are not Linux - they are Windows.

I don't see any Linux NS servers on the browser, actually. :/

...and glad you liked the game. I thought it was crap myself. ;) Even the voice acting... I think Marylyn and Duchovny shoulda swapped roles - I suspect Manson would have made a much more convincing soldier - and Duchovny's performance would be dead-on as an emotionless alien. :P

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I was talking to some canuk server admin who says valve released a patch yesterday, I was dubious...

even thought the steam forums are an abortion did they catch fire with righteous indignation?

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 am
Site Admin

Seems His Pinkness finally managed to get it going though! Yay! :D

The earlier releases had bugs galore (beyond the protocol change, the need to manually update certain files, and the invalidation of a half-dozen command-line switches - all of which are still issues). One major bug NS had, that I suppose I do have to give Valve credit for fixing, is that when someone got in the command chair, it crashed all his teammates.

At first, the NS community managed to work up an AMX plugin that fixed that - but it wasn't *too* long before Valve integrated the fix. So, I guess it is more incompetence than malice, or they likely wouldn't have bothered.

The fact that Valve simply didn't undo the patch as soon as so many HLDS servers went down, and the fact that they've changed the protocol for no apparent reason (which means the end of a lot of fine mods), just boggles my mind though. I don't see how that level of sabotage could be anything but deliberate. But… Maybe what my friends who saw "W" say is true, and it extends to Valve as well: He really is just that stupid.

Still, most every mod I've worked with is still experiencing issues of one sort or another - and several are just gone. There's just no excuse for this! :x

I'd expect a few new odd bugs to crop up over the next few days, so keep an eye out. Give the server a thorough work-out tonight, if ye can.
"Fascism (fash'iz'em) n. A system of government that exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right, typically through the merging of state and business leadership, together with belligerent nationalism." - The American Heritage Dictionary, 1983
Thothie

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW

# 4 "NSPIayer" 1028 STEAM_0:0:14761199 0 02:53 369 5

Recycled Grep and I's marine game while we were winning. We lost shortly after due to the recycle.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 pm
Site Admin

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53