Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
To JP: TFC2?? 

WELL, HOW IS IT??!/!/1//1 (the preview, at least)

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 pm

I don't think anyone who has pre-ordered it has gotten to play it yet, cept for thoth maybe? I tried to play it this morning before i went to work, but I left at noon (central time) and it still wasn't available for play.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm
Site Admin

Fortress Forever is pretty damned good though, so even if TF2 turns out to suck, it'll have been worth selling my already stolen soul to get the orange box.
"It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety." - Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Thothie

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW

yeah i enjoy FF. just gonna take a lot getting used to, even though its the same gist as tfc, the better quality and accuracy is what i have to get used to =/

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm
Site Admin

Yeeeah... My sniper is useless as I keep trying to lead my shot to make up for HL1 ping physics.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Ok so it became available this morning and I got to play it for about 6 minutes before I ran off to work. As far as I could tell it looked pretty amazing. The 2fort seemed a little bit smaller than TFC's 2 fort but oh so much prettier. I tried out the HW and the medic, the hw was really cool, the medic... i didn't quite understand. He has a beam type gun which i think healed an enemy spy thus didn't help me much. Regardless, i wish i could play more now :/

Oh and teleporters still exist, but they seem to be a 1 time use?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:11 am
Dear Leader

Played since maybe 1am today and here's my initial impression:

-Graphics are pretty, animation is impressive.
-It's like TF2 minus the ability to own with a single class. They balanced it out so much, you can't be like a 100 kill medic like back in the good ol' days.
-I dunno, it feels more like every other FPS now. I mean, your ability to move around and dodge like in TFC isn't really there anymore - movement/agility isn't as big of an issue as it was in TFC. Don't really know how else to put it.
-The medic. Ugh. Bring back the old medic please.
-No grenades. I miss the spamfest.
-I REALLY don't like how set binds vary from class to class now. Example: Slot 3 used to be the shotgun across different classes so you can pull it out every time with one bind. Now, the shotgun is in slot 1 for one class, 2 for another, 3 for others, etc.
-I like the Scout's double barrel shot gun. I don't like how now nobody else has one.

I guess the only real way I can put it is - imagine TFC but slower, nerfed, and with prettier graphics. I suppose I should give it more time... I think I'm too used to TFC so can't really give it an unbiased review. Anyways, thoughts?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

wow... way to be a debbie downer. I certainly haven't been convinced to go out and buy tf2 now. I'll hold off for the comprehensive thoth review.

bind k "amx_kick STEAM_0:0:3700026"

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:59 am
Profile WWW

From the 5 minutes I played, I can deffinately agree with at leat 2 of the points.

1. New medic = bad, I was hoping i just didn't play with him enough to unlock his secret awesomeness, but maybe that's not the case.

2. It seemed like dying from projectile damage was alot easier, medic went down in like... 3 shots from a spy, same with hw.

I'll have to give it more time to play when i get home, i really haven't had enough time to make an educated decision on it yet.

It deffinately seemed to me that the scout would be alot more viable of a class in this one, given that he is fast and he can actually kill people now, without it being humiliating.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:04 am

I guess the only real way I can put it is - imagine TFC but slower, nerfed, and with prettier graphics.

Surpise surprise. I think TFC ran at a pretty moderate pace, i mean it wasnt too fast nor to slow, and making it slower i thing would be lame. The nerfing was to be expected, i mean thats all valve has done with all the games now. Graphics i can care less about.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:16 am
Site Admin

I figured, from the videos I saw, they were going to try to pidgeon hole the roles.

Tis what I like about FF - all the classes can do either offense or D, as they're fairly dynamic. Scout's are mean enough to hunt down and kill wounded folks running away with flags - HWGuys are fast enough to cap. Classes are even more dynamic than in the original TFC. Obviously, TF2 was going for the opposite approach.

As I recall from the vids, the medic beam heals, and if you heal someone long enough, they get god mod for a few seconds. But yeah, the medic, and I suspect others, were pidgeon holed into strictly a support role.

Sadly, I wont have the chance to actually play TF2 today... I dun think I'll be on a puter that can play it until Friday - and then not for long - so probably not until Saturday.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:18 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Double post, as this bares posting on its own, as I r f*cking pissed.

I got a few seconds to play today before I gotta go...

First server I go to is running a "sudden death" style setting/map. Meaning, you wait for your whole team to die before you can play again. Meaning FUCKING COUNTER STRIKE!

!!! THOTHIE DOES NOT DO COUNTER STRIKE !!!

Since I logged in mid-game I enter the game dead. So, figuring I came for pain, I actually get breakfast while I wait for everyone to die. I finish breakfast before everyone does. Then the next round starts.

I go random, get spy, move out about twenty feet from spawn, cloak, and then 5 seconds later, game crashes!

As they say on the internets:

So yeah, that's my first and only TF2 experience/review before the weekend. Hopefully by then my rage will have subsided enough for me to try it again.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

Hmm I didn't experience anything like that when i played. All the guns do seemingly enough damage to play either role. For instance medic nail gun can kill fairly well, even on an HW, however it seems to me they removed infection from the game? Is that true? If so, totally fail. I will confirm this tonight when i play again.

I don't think many of the servers are set up as sudden death thoth. I randomly chose a server and it was regulat CTF style.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:08 am
Site Admin

It seems to be a server-side option (it shouldn't even be an option IMO) - as the map was Capture and Control (with 5 points). Since C&C + Sudden Death is rather pointless, I rather doubt it was default mode.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

hmm interesting. I only played 5 mins on 2fort

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next