Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Server Changes? 
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

Can we get mp_blockscripts set to 0?
What's the opinion on FF?
What about lowering the round time to like 10 minutes so we don't have to play the same map 2-4 times?

Ranked in order of importance.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:03 am
Site Admin

HELL NO.
Maybe.

Personally I prefer two rounds per map, give a chance for a rematch, or to at least play the map from both sides. I dunno if I could take the time to figure a plugin that says 2 games or >20 minutes = new map at end, whichever happens first.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:09 am
Profile YIM WWW

How about some fucking late join for the rare times it's co, I can't level due to focus?

And what exactly constitutes a stack in the jigglyroom book? Skill stack as well as Clan stacking? Stacking that breaks a game?

I for one would really like to see admins start to hand out that one and only stacking warning.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:02 am
Site Admin

How about some fucking late join for the rare times it's co, I can't level due to focus?

We had one, once upon a time, but it didn't want to work right with Linux NS.

Not much point in having CO plugins eating resources on a non-CO server anyways. The bot plugin is wasting enough space.

...as for what is considered stacking - it's completely arbitrary. ;)

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Reasoning on the blockscripts? You can't do anything abusive with scripts. wigglewalk scripts suck because they lock up your controls, weapon change scripts(fade scripts, etc) are useless because they are limiting and not any faster because of delay times, bunnyhopping scripts don't exist, 3jump and pistol scripts can be duplicated using the mousewheel (or some mice have double/triple shot hardware macros built in). Honestly the only thing scripts do is help people that have unoptimized hardware(some mousewheels blow) or software macros, and make UI and control customization (for each lifeform, etc) more possible.

I'm totally fine with ff 0, I just find that marines have too easy of a time on pubs with ff off. But I definitely understand and appreciate the rationale behind turning it off.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:19 pm

besides, there's a speed hacker or aimbotter in JR at least once a week anyway, its not like there's some pure environment that would be spoiled by more people than just goobag shooting their pistol really fast (read: as fast as the game designers allowed).

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:20 pm
Site Admin

You can't do anything abusive with scripts.

Give me a moment to find the proper emoticon to respond to this with...

Meh, close as I could get.

There are lots of abusive things you can do with scripts (take it from someone with a 24k autoexec.cfg), and while it doesn't stop you from abusing the game, or even abusing scripts nothing does. Anti-h4x like blockscripts and VAC aren't there to give the illusion that the server is hack proof, they are just there to make it harder for the average script kiddy, and give the end users some peace of mind that at least some sort of effort went into stopping that sort of thing.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW

seriously, i don't care if you think there are LOTS of abusive things you can do with scripts, tell me SOME. A FEW. PLEASE.

Everything that mp_blockscripts was intended to block has since been removed from the game. pistol rof cap, no _special, no marinebhop, etc, etc ,etc. really the only thing life i can think of is changing rates on the fly. which, 1) sucks almost as much for you as for anyone else, 2)isnt affected AT ALL by mp_bs 1, 3) can be done way more effectively through 3rd party means.

take it from someone with a tiny userconfig, because thats all thats worth anything, there is nothing wrong with scripts in ns.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/ind ... hl=scripts

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:51 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

bind k "amx_kick STEAM_0:0:3700026"

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile WWW

So him and Ev can go have script orgies with each other in my basement.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You can teleport; you can speed hack; you can chain separate weapons/abilities to fire simultaneously; you can jam up the entire ready room and prevent the game from beginning; you chain commands in the chair to allow you to do actions you aren't supposed to be able to; you can break doors; you can break buttons; you can break levers and rotatebles; you can break the spawn que; you can prevent your team from respawning; you can crash the server with sound overflow with items; you can crash the server from use entity overflow; you can freeze the amx system; you can get unlimited energy from an observatory; you can freeze your ammo count; you can freeze your energy bar...

...I know I'm forgetting some, but I don't feel like combing through all my scripts just now. ;)

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot aimbot with scripts - but you can sure as hell fug the game up no end.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW

You can teleport;
only through rates, i covered that already. honestly if you feel like rating/teleporting start up a few torrent seeds . . . ties up your upload so people don't get your data on time, but you still download everything from the server and don't experience as much lag [as other people]. you teleport around to everyone else, but you still see exactly where everyone else is. using scripts is actually less effective, and not affected by bs 1
Quote:
you can speed hack; you can chain separate weapons/abilities to fire simultaneously
not anymore.
Quote:
you can break doors; you can break buttons; you can break levers and rotatebles
1) those are all the same thing, 2)you can do that without scripts
Quote:
you can crash the server from use entity overflow
or just drop a bunch of mines
Quote:
you can get unlimited energy from an observatory; you can freeze your ammo count; you can freeze your energy bar...
im pretty sure no.

which leaves us with
Quote:
you can jam up the entire ready room and prevent the game from beginning; you chain commands in the chair to allow you to do actions you aren't supposed to be able to; you can break the spawn que; you can crash the server with sound overflow with items; you can freeze the amx system;
to which i say: You can drop dcs and leave; you can recycle base; you can /stuck outside the map; you can f4 as soon as you lose the second hive pg; you can spam med request 100,000 times; i could go on...

People that want to break the game are gonna break the game. you don't need scripts to do any of that, you could do all of what you suggested with a macro with even better results (and no risk of detection from vac) and less work. should we block the use of the f4 key, or prevent dcs from being a first chamber, or get rid of the /stuck plugin, remove recycling, etc, just because people can abuse them? but then wouldn't those same people just ~retry, or spam ccs, or map exploit, or save for onos and then block hallways?

I've played the majority of my ns games on bs 0 servers and i can honestly say ive never seen as much game-breaking as on jigglypuff's. i've never seen anyone use scripts to break the game. why block a bunch of legitimate functionality from the game because of a fractional (and mostly imaginary) chance of abuse? its not like you're even dealing with some unabused virgin here either . . . suppose a problem actually did arise . . . its obvious, so just ban them. from my experience you would end up banning 10 people for speed hacking, 20 people for aimbotting, and 100 people for recycling/exploiting/llamaing for every 3 people you banned for script abuse.

honestly. the attitude of . . . ignorant hypochondriac accusation i see in bs 1 communities toward "SCRIPTZ" is sickening. GAFC.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:22 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Eh, I don't think Thoth is a scripting hypochondriac. (I know I'm not.) I just don't buy the argument that mp_bs 0 is that helpful. As in, we've chosen mp_bs 1, and I'm too damn lazy to change it to 0 because I don't see how others benefit from it. :p

Now, admittedly, I haven't bothered to delve into the murky depths of the ms_bs 0/1 argument, as one of my only scripts proclaims my deep feelings for Oldro, but I had to make these couple points:

BeowulfOA wrote:
take it from someone with a tiny userconfig, because thats all thats worth anything, there is nothing wrong with scripts in ns.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/ind ... hl=scripts

1) I read the thread. From what I saw, the key posts relevant to the discussion at hand (one being from TheAdj, the other from GrayFlcn) mentioned that almost all of your simple, non-hack style scripts can be rewritten for mp_bs 1 servers using aliases anyway. Which to me isn't so supportive of your position. But maybe I'm biased. I'll let you decide on that one.

2) Yes, there are exploits you can do without blockscripts on. But to me, that's a separate issue. It's similar to saying "if I make a law against killing people with guns, I can still kill people with knives, so why make the law against killing people with guns? People will die either way, so what does it matter if I use guns or knives? Please let me use guns."

edit
Okay, that was over-dramatic. But still, I think the core logic is similar, and I don't buy it.
/edit

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Talk to some of the NS devs, they have crazy script stories cause they deal with it all the time.

You can be very very evil

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:22 pm

I would like the spec mod to be open to regular players, so people can make demos of people doing bad things.....

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next