Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Banned? 

except where you miss the part about how people don't have a right to play on jiggly. The pinkness does what it wants, when it wants, and answers to nobody!

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:49 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Caution: complete lack of irreverent humor. Read at your own risk of losing a few minutes of your life. I sure lost a few myself. :P Also, it should be obvious I speak for me alone, but sometimes people just go assuming everything.

TOAST wrote:
What? It was a legitamate and mature argument.
I agree with that. It wasn't about name calling, or being negative. You're making clear points; I like that. In fact, I agree with many of your points. I agree that stirring things up can make things fun now and again. I also enjoy HLSS music, when done tastefully in the RR, or while waiting for the aliens to kill the damned IP that is still recycling while all marines are dead. (Surely the NS devs see the irony in that "feature" of the game.) I've done the same damn thing myself from time to time. If my HDD hadn't crashed (and I wasn't too lazy to convert music to listenable WAV), you might be hearing silly songs out of me in the RR postgame. I'm a fan of relocating, though admittedly not always to wonky locations.

I'm especially proud of the voice-overs, even if I didn't make it clear before - I do see that as a net positive. I still get amused every time I think of NSRadio, silly FFT songs, etc. It feels great to have a shared in-joke, even if it's only with a small, select clique of people who happen to play NS on this server. Screw "hello"; you had me at "best server in all of Natural Selection". :lol:

But (and you knew this was coming) here's where I disagree:
TOAST wrote:
The only people who have a problem with the OAs and various other people are new players and people who don't go to Jiggly much.
This is just not true. As Thoth mentioned, we've had plenty of complaints about some of the OA antics, and many complaints from the exact opposite player base you refer to - regulars who have played NS for awhile. And yes, I'm not giving any reference to back this up other than my word, which of course doesn't amount to jack shit on this here intarwebosphere. :P
TOAST wrote:
Anything is better than simply banning them without reason and not bothering to talk it out.
Also not true; Scouts himself posted earlier that he knew it was coming. While I'm sure it wasn't an expansive, counter-argument, take-notes kind of discussion, there was communication and feedback, and there were definitely reasons. A few of those reasons have been highlighted in this thread already.

TOAST wrote:
Worry more about the hackers and jackasses who make the game no fun.
That's what we try to do. In this case (and after deliberation - this was not a whimsical decision) we've placed OA into the latter category. I completely understand if you don't agree. I can buy the argument, which others such as Yogurt also make, that spicing up a mundane match (to grossly paraphrase and/or plagiarize) adds to the general fun of NS. But there were enough events that went beyond this, enough events that became a detriment to the general fun, that we took action to stop it.

Phew! I didn't even know I had it in me. Maybe I should have condensed it down to "yeah, some things were fun, but I have my reasons for agreeing to bandom". Oh well. [Insert witty ending comment or steal quote from Thothie's file here.]

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:39 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Gawd, I can feel the Scouts drama machine reprogramming my brain... :shock:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:40 am

You've been one of the more problematic OA. Everytime yer in the chair, it's always shotty/ip rush, and everytime yer alien, it's always DC. If I could just comm/chamber ban people I'd go for that, but sadly no one's fixed those plugins for ModX.
Thothie

How was I one of the more problematic ones? I usually am serious in the comm chair even known to rage in games and scream over voice comm at marines that aren't listening making us lose or making the game longer than it has to be, and for the DC chamber thing, I did it a few times not asking one of which is when it was something like 2 or 3 mins in game and no one would drop chamber(res whoring) so I decided after dropping an RT already myself to drop a DC without asking. Now I do mess around sometimes after playing the same maps over and over, and want to do something different and fun and then I will do a SG rush, IP rush or drop an odd chamber but I usually ask the team at the start and if they say no I usually comm normal. I don't usually do SG rush after SG rush after SG rush or do stupid stuff over and over, ask any of the regulars they can tell you.

On a side note whats wrong with DC's its nice to try something different and try a different working with different strats and such.

Thanks

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:54 am
Site Admin

Well, when I've played with you, I've seen you shotgun/ip rush four games in a row, and rush the commchair to do so, and I've seen you drop DC's, likewise, four games in a row, and I even warned ya against it, and ya went and did it a fifth time as soon as I logged off. Plus I have IM's against you constantly.

Since, unlike everyone else we banned in OA, you've never been banned before, I'd be willing to temp ban you on the basis that maybe I just happen to be on when yer in an "OA mood", but it's not really my call anymore.

TOAST wrote:
Worry more about the hackers and jackasses who make the game no fun.

Just to reiterate what Skeletor said - these folks have made the game no fun for me plenty of times. They've made the game no fun for the dozens of people I have e-mailing, IM'ing, and PM'ing me. Several of them admit they should have been banned a long time ago. At least two of them have been banned 5 or more times for making the game no fun. Several of their members have been permanently banned ages ago. OA has long been synonymous with llama in the JR. Every person to be marked as "Troll" status in these forums who plays NS, is or was a member of OA (true of both the old and new forums). A thread to ban the entire clan has been started in the admin section 3 times and in public twice - only one other clan ever got that sort of attention (1 thread), and we got rid of them a lot sooner. Needless to say, we've been not only lenient, but downright remiss.

As for the first half of that sentence, they are also spreading hacks on their own forums. Which is essentially breeding hackers for us to ban when they aren't using them themselves. That alone is more than enough justification to ban them - never mind the years of On-line Assholery and accelerated extinction of the mod.

Also in regards to the first half:
...and damn you all for making Jigglypuff cry! :P

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:17 am
Profile YIM WWW

I never had a problem with them.

I liked when Kenshin would get in the chair because it meant we were going to win.

There was only one time out of vague memory that I can recall where Kenshin was being a douche, but that was once out of many many good play hours.

If there was some kind of vote I'd support giving Towlie and Kenshin access again.

I really only ever had a problem with Scouts, who was willfully destructive to other's experience in the game.

--Locane

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:01 am
Dear Leader

I should probably speak up on this one - Kenshin, Towlie, Knight, and a few others were all unbanned yesterday (Except Kenshin, I got hungry and ran off to eat dinner and watch TV instead of deal with it, but he's unbanned now) and were sent PMs. It's surprising nobody really spoke up about it and left the general impression that they were still all on the ban list. They were sent PMs about the corrections and I guess went on their merry way.

Since Thoth, Skel have brought up the major points, I'm only going to say a few more things on the matter:

1.) I don't feed trolls.

2.) The server has been "going downhill" for years now according to all the naysayers. With such sharp decline in the playerbase, I estimate at this rate, the original TF server will be empty by 2050.

3.) The ban list of your typical server is larger than the ban list of this server and all 7 years of its existence across every HL mod its ever run.

4.) One of the reasons why I don't take donations is so that I don't have to owe anyone anything. I run (well, to be honest, the admins) the servers the way I believe the general HL/FPS community would like them to be run and looking at the popularity of the Jigglyrooms in general, I'd say we're pretty much on the mark. Also see: The endless stream of imitators.

5.) I welcome competition. Please, if you strongly believe you're in the majority - by all means, make your own server. I've been running servers for longer than most people have been playing FPSes. Maybe I'm old, crotchety, and out of touch with the FPS crowd. Show me how wrong and outdated my ways are. Instead of complaining how we do things around here, make your own server. I strongly believe in meritocracies.

6.) Regardless of the fact that certain people try to make it look like I'm out to get them and I have some kind of vengeful authoritarian motive behind their removal, I personally have nothing against OA in the server space. I do however, have a problem with it when I get frequent complaints about them (this includes pretty much every admin except possibly goobag who doesn't say much anyways) and they show up drunk and troll the message board. FYI, there was no need for the flaming bucket before their arrival. I'm a lazy bastard and don't want to deal with the drama they bring in tow. I have enough work/personal drama IRL and the last thing I need in life is to deal with trolls on my hobby server named after a children's cartoon.

That being said, I'm sure certain players are proud of the fact that they can keep crawling back into the server to play and gloat about how they can't be removed. Good for you guys and the fact that you get such a large pool of dynamic addresses and have time to burn. Very 3|337. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with one offs. See item #6.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:18 am
Profile WWW

As for the first half of that sentence, they are also spreading hacks on their own forums. Which is essentially breeding hackers for us to ban when they aren't using them themselves.

Yeah, because that whole one person who visits the OA forums (me) is going to go around hacking on JP constantly, just so you can ban me. Makes perfect sense. I used them the one day on some obscure server, got bored with them and continued on with my life. The OA forums arn't as popular as you make it out to be Thoth. It's more of a keepsake for the past. <3 Always.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:00 am
Profile WWW

I just want to point out that every time you DO NOTHING about something bad/disruptive/etc any one or group of us does, that tells us (at least subconsciously) that its okay. maybe it isnt the best liked thing, but its accepted, and it isnt going to get us banned.

I personally have never been banned from the server, have never even been talked to about the possibility that i might get banned/punished from the server (i got banned from the forums because of something towlie posted on my account, but thats it). I think i got kicked once like a year ago for /stucking outside at the end of a game (not dc-nest /stuck even). Yeah i've done shit since then, but NOT ONCE has it been made clear to me that anyone in authority has a problem with me doing it (and yes, its still wrong, im not saying that excuses myself at all).

I come to jigglys nowadays for mostly two things: 1) warmup and 2) socialization while playing. why? because the odds that im gonna get a good game otherwise are so slim its not worth my time. the majority of games i screw around in are 1 minute no-comms, or 2 minute no-alien-rts dropped. have you played those? they suck. you lose, painfully. there are a lot more people ruining games by NOT doing anything (or doing retarded things with no intention of lame/fun) than there are ruining games by 1)trying new things or 2)goofing around. Despite what scouts says, several of us in OA are pretty good at the game, and a lot of the crazy stupid things we do work, and produce real games. i can't even count the number of times we've had outrageously good times and still won.

bottom line: if someone's doing something bad for a really long time and it keeps building up inside you, maybe at some point along the way you should have actually done something about it. a day/week ban with the promise of longer can work wonders on a semi-delinquent mind. Pretending like you dont care for 8 months and then suddenly caring for those whole 8 months all at the same time isn't really the best way to do things.

and about the "endless stream of imitators": try many people who love the community present on your server, but are sick of the lag or the full server. its funny that you say that about all the other servers, because everyone i know that doesn't play on jigglypuff does it because: "server sucks, too much lag", "too many people that don't know what they're doing", "everyone sucks there." The JR sucks at least 40% of the time, why wouldn't you expect other servers to be the same?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:11 am
Jigglyroom Admin

TFC FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:43 am
Profile WWW

and about the "endless stream of imitators": try many people who love the community present on your server, but are sick of the lag or the full server. its funny that you say that about all the other servers, because everyone i know that doesn't play on jigglypuff does it because: "server sucks, too much lag", "too many people that don't know what they're doing", "everyone sucks there." The JR sucks at least 40% of the time, why wouldn't you expect other servers to be the same?

NS is not the only server on the box. There have been far more TFC imitators over the years than NS imitators. This is not a false statement, you are just illinformed.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:39 am

Thank you for unbanning me. I didn't notice the message until last night before I went to bed, and the proxy I was using to visit this site was too painfully slow to try and post on this thread :D

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:03 pm

magus wrote:

NS is not the only server on the box. There have been far more TFC imitators over the years than NS imitators. This is not a false statement, you are just illinformed.
He made the statement referring to the NS server, so yeah, I was ill-informed as to the scope of that statement.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:10 pm

And you guys thought the TFC server had all the drama, HAH.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:06 pm

[quote="fixxor"]And you guys thought the TFC server had all the drama, HAH.[/quote]
There really isn't any drama... I saw no problem. It was just blown up to look like drama from the ban wave :P

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next