Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Natural Selection 2 - Steam 

Just picked this up for $25 bucks on steam. It says release is in October and if you pre-purchase it now you get upgraded to the digital deluxe version for free. So to all of you that bought it 2 years ago thinking you would be only one to get the Marine Armor, :p

Btw, how fucking cool does the new marine heavy armor look.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 pm

is it the black armor upgrade, or is it the free digital copy?

still a beta, still missed 3x release deadlines

at least it's sorta playable now, but not on my ancient rig

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am

I guess it isn't the black armor. Just some other custom armor, I didn't really pay that much attention. I was more interested in the October release date.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Hey all... long time.
Has Jigglypuff announced whether or not he'll be running an NS2 server?

I'm looking to get a new gaming rig and get back into the world of computer gaming...

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Long time, indeed.

No idea as regards NS2, though - may be a moot issue for me, what with living halfway across the continent now, but it would be fun to get the band back together. What're you up to these days, anyway?

He's a man who won't fit in.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd be up for some nostalgia.

Fair warning, I was a beta tester on this for about a year, and the game code is *terrible*. The only servers that were able to run it with 12 people and not crash every round or lag you into oblivion were OC'd i7 boxes over 4ghz. My understanding from chatting with a few of the guys still in the testing is that hasn't changed. It's single core extremely CPU dependent.

It also is missing a lot of the unpredictability that made the first game good IMO. But it is NS, and very pretty, so there is that?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Some of the betas were really painful - especially in Win7... But it seems they've come a long way - thing plays at max FPS in max detail in XP for me - little less so in Win7, but meh, emulation layer and lack of direct hardware access, whatchya gonna do. Seems the game really hates ATI's, but that's not unusual for the same reasons.

I've gotta i7 + 560GTX + 16GB RAM, and even with all that, the early betas hated me with a passion, but again, amazingly, it's perfectly smooth now. Even if it did crash the first time I tried to load it due to some bad core assignment.

I've not really played much with it though. I suspect I'll never be able to catch up with the skill levels of everyone who stuck it out through those painful early betas.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm talking purely server side, they've had the client-side more or less stable for some time.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:00 pm
Profile ICQ

The game is live. Is there going to be a Jigglyroom server?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:42 pm

I agree, this game has come a loooong way since beta. Games are just as intense as they were in the original. I think they still need to tweak the balance a bit, but likely won't be able to do so until the community matures to the point of overcoming the learning curve. Right now there are still too many wins/losses due to new blood hopping in the command chair.

As for your concerns, Thoth, there's actually a decently large newbie player base. Everyone who pre-ordered the deluxe edition got a second copy to give to a friend, and it's been on the steam store frontpage for a few weeks now, which I'm sure helped to stimulate sales. I think you'd do fine to jump back in. I hadn't played beta in a year or so and I was able to get back into it fine. Having knowledge of some of the old maps from NS1 will help a bunch too, Veil especially.

Spyder is right to some extent, everything is very polished, and with that some of the wonder from the first game is gone. There is no more marines relocating to "Vent Alamo's" or setting up bases in hidden rooms the mapper overlooked thanks to phase gate clipping issues, or jetpack welding hives. In a sense, there's no more exploiting. That being said, playing the game within the confines of the developers intent is still a very rewarding experience. I will miss staring at onos anus for 90 seconds though.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Hey again, all.

Well, Iron, more or less up to the same stuff. Still working at the same place. Divorced now (for 6 years). Bought a mac and went to PS3 gaming for awhile, but maybe now I'm back to PC gaming. Did martial arts for about 5 years and bought a house. Been busy.

Anyway, I finally downloaded Steam (again) today and re-activated my old account (effDefender, of course). I'm installing NS2 as we speak.

It turns out that one of my co-workers is an old Jigglyroom NS player... and I think I remember playing with him way back in the day (jimhasskillz).

I'll try to remember to check the boards again soon...

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:33 pm

What kind of martial arts

also pedal faster

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:29 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Lol, yeah I've been doing a bit of mountain biking and road biking... but injured my shoulder and had two concussions. I've toned it down a bit now.

I was doing Aikido for about 5 years. Also did Modern Arnis for 2, and little bit of Muay Thai and a hint of BJJ.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:48 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Sweet. I "decompressed" for about six months after I got back from tour in '08, went to the sniper cell in the winter of '09, spent two years there before it became obvious which way the wind was blowing in the infantry (and the conventional CF in general. ) Still no closer to getting back to the west coast, but enjoying life regardless.

I've pretty much fallen off the PC gaming bandwagon (I still have the same laptop I got over six years ago) but looking at getting a new rig during the spring/summer timeframe.

I'll seeya round from time to time.

He's a man who won't fit in.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am

I've started JJ recently it's fun and my wrestling background gives a half decent base

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next