Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Minecraft Server Test Drive 
Site Admin

TheDoc wrote:
Skyrim took over my life :/

You used to have a life, but then you took a Skyrim to the knee?

Jigglypuff wrote:
Also - cough up $26 and play with us already damnit (everyone but fixxor)!

Wow, $26? Really? These independent bastards are getting greedy for the money they want to take your lives away. ;)

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

Saint Thoth wrote:

Wow, $26? Really? These independent bastards are getting greedy for the money they want to take your lives away. ;)
Thothie

They pulled an unknown worlds, the earlier you bought it, the cheaper you got it for. If you bought it during alpha, it was like 10$, beta was like 15$, I guess its 26$ now?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 pm

I've spent a many $60 on so called "AAA" games that have far less play time then I have in minecraft.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm
Site Admin

No doubt true... The games that ate up the most of my life were all free... But... $60, indi, games? I hope that isn't the future we're looking towards.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I paid for the free games are my time sink

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm

fixxor wrote:
I've spent a many $60 on so called "AAA" games that have far less play time then I have in minecraft.

That being said, you really have to make your own fun in Minecraft. It's less of a game than it is a sandbox toy. I've had a number of friends who have hated Minecraft because they really didn't understand the point of building digital structures. I personally think it's a lot like hobbyist programming.

You start out building something you think might be cool. Along the way run into fifty different unexpected problems which arise as a result to the limitations of the medium. At the end, you've spent 20 to 30 hours building something that really only you and maybe a handful of other people who have faced similar problems can appreciate. Then you admire it for like an hour and move on to the next project. The only difference is everyone's first code tends to be a giant penis instead of a "Hello World."

Edit
Hey jigs, i noticed your world is beginning to look a bit on the rectangular side. There's a plugin out there that allows you to place X,Z coordinate boundaries on the server in such a way that your world doesn't get too misshapen. That way your can keep your world a square, and as people explore the boundaries and fill it up you can gradually increase them to suit their needs. We used to have a guy on our server that would explore out in only one direction for as far as he could go (prior to installing the mod). Aside from just being generally obnoxious, we noticed as the world size increased in this way, we started seeing more frequent world errors all over the server such as unbreakable blocks, lighting errors, chunk errors, and more. Just a suggestion, it's a pretty minimally invasive mod.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 am
Dear Leader

TheDoc wrote:
fixxor wrote:

That being said, you really have to make your own fun in Minecraft. It's less of a game than it is a sandbox toy. I've had a number of friends who have hated Minecraft because they really didn't understand the point of building digital structures. I personally think it's a lot like hobbyist programming.

You start out building something you think might be cool. Along the way run into fifty different unexpected problems which arise as a result to the limitations of the medium. At the end, you've spent 20 to 30 hours building something that really only you and maybe a handful of other people who have faced similar problems can appreciate. Then you admire it for like an hour and move on to the next project. The only difference is everyone's first code tends to be a giant penis instead of a "Hello World."

Edit
Hey jigs, i noticed your world is beginning to look a bit on the rectangular side. There's a plugin out there that allows you to place X,Z coordinate boundaries on the server in such a way that your world doesn't get too misshapen. That way your can keep your world a square, and as people explore the boundaries and fill it up you can gradually increase them to suit their needs. We used to have a guy on our server that would explore out in only one direction for as far as he could go (prior to installing the mod). Aside from just being generally obnoxious, we noticed as the world size increased in this way, we started seeing more frequent world errors all over the server such as unbreakable blocks, lighting errors, chunk errors, and more. Just a suggestion, it's a pretty minimally invasive mod.

Figured I'd install border mods in time, but you're right - all it takes is one bad apple and that border can be increased at any time (glares at MEP for messing up our square-ish world).

Minecraft isn't just a sandbox btw, it's like more like a creative MMORPG (time of day cycles/dynamic weather/NPCs/crafting/enchanting/mining/alchemy/etc functions/spelunking adventures in different worlds, etc) minus the monthly fees. To compare it to hobbyist programming or just calling it a sandbox is a huge disservice to people that haven't tried it yet. Before actually playing the game, I thought the same thing - "wtf is so interesting about stacking blocks in a world that looks like Nintendo?" After playing it for an hour, I was hooked 4 lyfe. It's not called "Minecrack" for nothing. Anyone that liked building pillow forts or playing with Legos as a kid would probably seriously dig Minecraft.

I think the trial version of Minecraft (on their website) is more like the single dimensional world you're describing. Disclaimer: to each their own.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 pm
Profile WWW

To be fair, you're right it is more than just a sandbox, but I don't know I'd go so far as to call it an MMORPG. True, there is a fair amount of depth to the exploration aspect, and in fact you can probably spend quite a few hours doing nothing but that, both above and below ground (below ground especially). The crafting system is robust and somewhat MMORPG-like.

Combat is really... not great, and for me somewhat of an annoyance. I see hostile NPCs as little more than hostile resource containers which occasionally get the best of you and cause you to drop all your stuff. There aren't really any quests, sure there are "achievements" but those really only serve as kind of a slapdash tutorial for newcomers who haven't yet found the minecraft wiki and kids who are playing it on the xbox.

I suppose you could treat the "game" as an RPG, but for me the real meat and potatoes of minecraft is in the building and "sandbox" elements. I long ago grew tired of exploring randomly generated environments and getting killed by cave spiders in abandoned mine shafts. Minecraft is certainly worth a try, but if you have a limited imagination I doubt you'd stay very long.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 pm
Site Admin

On a totally unrelated side note...
HAPPY SOPA DAY!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW

nice one thothies

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Sorry for messing up the square map... I took an arrow to the knee and couldn't walk straight :cry:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

My question is, how did you manage to not explore that last little sliver of land? Did you go west, then north, then east, and at some point before returning to the known world turn around and go back the way you came OR (more likely) did you die?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:21 am

Jigglypuff, requesting permission to alter your land in front of my casa and maybe the entrance to your railway.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

TheDoc wrote:
My question is, how did you manage to not explore that last little sliver of land? Did you go west, then north, then east, and at some point before returning to the known world turn around and go back the way you came OR (more likely) did you die?

Yes... I died on my journey home.. I had exotic spices from far far away with me at the time..

I.. I took an arrow to the knee and ran for my life just to fall into a ditch then got mauled by zombies and finished off by a 'shhhhhhhhhhh~~" BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

true story

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

Your failure has been immortalized by the world map.

BTW, I know I'm guilty of this occasionally too, but frequent idling makes it impossible to sleep/set your home. I know people like to afk grind exp and supplies, but it can get annoying waiting for the server to clear out so you can reset your home because your room mate destroyed your bed. :/

Any chance of perhaps installing an hour idle kick timer or something?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next