Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Anyone do source modeling? 

Or any sort of modeling for that matter?

http://www.evolvens.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=16 <-- this project is stalled on needing modeling

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm
Site Admin

Eh, I know some folks that do, but that forum dev section hasn't hardly been updated since 2009. Modelers and mappers aren't hard to come by - coders are - so I suspect there's more to the abandonment here than 'just needed a modeler'. There's nothing stopping you from using placeholder models.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:36 am
Profile YIM WWW

Most of the vital code is done, I've quizzed asmo. Poke around the forums, or read his "i'm not cool enough for twitter thread"

gaad

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:41 am
Site Admin

Meh, reading it over it don't look promising. If he can pull up a playable game with placeholder models, I'll pull folks off their current projects, but otherwise... Jeeze, it looks like he was depending on Cheesybong to get him models. >_> Cheesybong's a kewl kid and all, but he's a hacker/scripter at best, not really a modeler, and can't really be depended on for anything. He just does whatever tickles his fancy at the time.

Really looks like the project lead/coder is just looking for an excuse not to work on the project. It wouldn't be that hard to convert the existing NS models to use as placeholders - the animations and controller functions are all there. Just wouldn't have any rag-doll physics. Only thing you'd really need to have em going as final models is a new mesh and weighted bones. Animation being the hardest bit of modeling - followed by UV mapping. If the game and maps are ready, there's really just not that much left to do, but again, I smell excuses being played off - and you know what they say about excuses as they relate to odor.

Don't really want to get involved in yet another mod that's already been killed by apathy. Kills more mods than anything. Can't compensate for it with cash (and even when you can, that doesn't always work - just look at Duke Nukem Forever).

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 am
Profile YIM WWW

http://www.evolvens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1421

But I raged. Neurotic / Bipolars are not my kind of favorite boss for free plus he failed to deliver cak, so I lost interest.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:44 am
Site Admin

By the gods. It's like the All2Fort room got together and tried to make a mod. :?

EvolveNS Forums wrote:

^ Kinda says it all, no? ><

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Dear mastah, that's cheesybong ultimate offense chamber prototype. I just brought it to life. Not as epic as his cat hive but still amazing. ROFL

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Meh, reading it over it don't look promising. If he can pull up a playable game with placeholder models, I'll pull folks off their current projects, but otherwise... Jeeze, it looks like he was depending on Cheesybong to get him models. >_> Cheesybong's a kewl kid and all, but he's a hacker/scripter at best, not really a modeler, and can't really be depended on for anything. He just does whatever tickles his fancy at the time.

Really looks like the project lead/coder is just looking for an excuse not to work on the project. It wouldn't be that hard to convert the existing NS models to use as placeholders - the animations and controller functions are all there. Just wouldn't have any rag-doll physics. Only thing you'd really need to have em going as final models is a new mesh and weighted bones. Animation being the hardest bit of modeling - followed by UV mapping. If the game and maps are ready, there's really just not that much left to do, but again, I smell excuses being played off - and you know what they say about excuses as they relate to odor.

Don't really want to get involved in yet another mod that's already been killed by apathy. Kills more mods than anything. Can't compensate for it with cash (and even when you can, that doesn't always work - just look at Duke Nukem Forever).

What is it that you DO sir?! How do you have all these amaz0ring computer connections?

When the world ends, and net neutrality is on its death bed, I am coming to your house sir.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:16 pm

short answer for Thoth: Fearless leader is making that mod cause he loves ns and has put several thousands of hours into playing ns. He bet himself that he could code ns:s faster than it takes them to make ns2. So far for being a one man show it's got a stupendous amount of code related work done, I just recall model animations (8 way blending) giving problems on porting

long answer to follow

big ups to c4k for reppin'

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 pm

We played the beta like 8 months ago or more and looked just fine, we played several NS maps and I did some normal texturing test to achieve detailed looking over lowpoly models. I'd love to participate but I just have the hands in too many pots at the moment, basically all around money. If there were some other serious people about getting it to work I'll do the extra mile doing some modeling / art work if needed / wanted instead playing NS at night. :?

I kinda lost interest since all what I got is no feedback / no kind comments for my attention-whoring-artistic mood, nothing but silence so at the end of the day seemed to me like all is jokes, rage and wasted time for nothing. Asmodee has the whole thing coded already tough, but he is so quiet and neurotic that the teamwork kinda blows. Maybe a production coordinator would inject new life to that amazing project, dear mastah. There is a private forum with threads about every aspect of the mod, from sounds and music to game mechanics and they are somehow inspiring.

Forum Stretching Logo Linked Here

Last edited by C4K3 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 am

Keep in mind Thothies, just like i'm sure is the case here just reversed that I can see places you can't

[edit]
let me put it this way: placeholders for structures can be dropped, and a 20 man hours have gone into testing air control to replicate that good ns bhop feeling
[/edit]

Last edited by That Annoying Kid on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 am
Site Admin

I just recall model animations (8 way blending) giving problems on porting

Ya don't need blends to finish the code. >_> Who cares if your place holders snap around abit? Damn skulks can be boxes for all I care. Just need to see some evidence there's actually something to model for. Pulling modelers means taking their time away from other mods that actually are going somewhere, as everyone I know is doing something at the moment (or, at least, supposed to be doing something) - needs to be worth the potential sacrifice to said mods.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:44 am
Profile YIM WWW

The health rings are oriented with respect to the ground, but the question is, should the health ring be overlaid on top of the model (as in NS as though it was a holographic part of the HUD) or should it be underneath the model as though it were painted on the ground.

Here's some screenshots to illustrate both:

BLEH OUT OF DATE

EDIT: I think under "looks" better, but I think from a game play perspective, having it over lets you get the necessary information more quickly.

Another option is to add a client side CVAR to toggle it to your own preference. Would only require about 10 lines of code and would be entirely client side (have 0 effect on server).

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:51 am

My question to modelers -- How far does the game need to be before you'll help me fix the animation/hitbox/collision hull issues with *1* ported HL1 model?

I find it amusing that this project was brought up because the past few weeks I had been seriously considering starting work on the project again (and finally decided to get back to it on Monday). I actually had done most of the code back in 2008 (I started in August 2008) on the EP1 SDK, then I switched to the OB SDK, but it had a lot of SDK related issues, so I switched back to EP1, then back to OB. Anyway I've redone a lot of the code multiple times and I could have had the entire mod done by the end of 2008 except the modeler I was working with wasn't giving me models. I realize that sounds like a bs reason, but I'll try to explain my reasoning.

I had wanted to make the mod for months before I had started on it, but I knew that with my lack of artistic ability, I had no way of completing the project by myself. The game wouldn't be playable without at least 1 map designed specifically for the game and without custom models, the game would look too generic. I set out to find a modeler. I was introduced to someone who wanted to work on essentially the same project, but he knew how to model (and map). Excellent, or so I thought.

Before we started we both agreed that because the game is highly dependent on fast moving melee (aliens biting) vs ranged (marines shooting) in a 3d space (aliens flying through the air for example) we needed to do some absolute basic hit box related tests to see if the Source engine is even useful for such a game. We agreed that our first project milestone would include some pretty basic game elements in terms of code, we'd use a marine model from the HL2 models and the modeler would provide me an alien skulk model. Instead of providing me with a skulk model, the modeler kept making other models, but not even bothering to finish any of them. After a couple months of him pissing around I finally decided I'd wait until he finished the skulk model before I wasted more of my time on the code (I already had all the code I needed to do the basic test within the first 2 weeks).

Fast forward a few months later. I bitched about him not doing shit, he assured me he'd have me a skulk model in a couple weeks. So I started working on the code again. About 2 months later, same shit. No model, I quit again. A few months later I decided that I'd try to figure out how to port the NS1 models to Source (he originally told me this wasn't possible). Turns out it is, but my models don't have all the animations set up properly (the animations are there, but there's some issues), hit boxes, or collision hulls, so I still can't do my basic Source tests with them. I spent some more time on the code, a LOT of time trying to fix the models. No success. I still couldn't do the absolute basic tests I had wanted to do from the beginning, so I quit again pending finding someone who could tell me how to fix the problems with the ported HL1 models.

That brings us up to this week. I decided I was going to get this project done one way or another and I'd start by trying to fix the animations, collision hulls and hitboxes and if that didn't work, I would make a minimal game play that only needs the hitboxes, collision hulls, and animations fixed in a single model to do my engine test and see if I can find a modeler to help. And if that failed, I'd just keep adding game code until it got to the point where a modeler was willing to fix my single model with the problems... my bet is it's probably going to take ~10 mins to fix and is probably rediculously simple for someone that actually understands the problem.

So I'm back to working on the mod, sort of starting from scratch again (valve had released a new OB SDK, this time called Source 2007 SDK) and I'm adding in my old game code, making changes where appropriate. I have 3 maps done. And a large amount of game code done (I'd say 75%) spread through the various SDK bases I was working off of. Over the next week or 2 I'll be moving my old code into the latest SDK.

Some people seem to think screenshots are a measure of progress (which is retarded), so I'll show you a few.

Here's a screenshot showing a couple ghost structures, a couple built structures, a health ring (visible when you look at a structure).

Here's a screenshot showing the alien flashlight effect on/off

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:15 am

HOLY SHIT FEARLESS LEADER that's awesome!!!

*crickets*

-_-

Nice try TAK

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next