Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
NS2 TONIGHT! 

I think they worked on the detection alot

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Well since no one seemed to know the state of things, I gave it a go for myself tonight and played around 2 hours of build 170.

The game is pretty playable though it still needs a load of polish.

Presently, games are pretty damn stalemate-y, in that no one side can do anything exceedingly crushing to the other team. Games tend to be long battles of attrition if they are games at all. Most of this is due to the fact that all tech upgrades carry over regardless of what is destroyed, ie hives go down you can still get fades, advanced armory goes down, any subsequent armory built (advanced or not) still dispenses flame throwers. Also the lack of end game closers (jetpacks, onos, heavy armor) probably plays a large role in this as well.

Individual resource pools are currently a joke, by 10 minutes into the game you have amassed enough resources to buy infinite flame throwers and shot guns/fades and lerks. The only time I seemed to notice resources being an issue was when I was commanding.

Combat
Still very rough. Marines seem to always have the upper hand since whenever you get in close proximity to another player, the game starts to lag and players teleport, making it exceedingly difficult to land melee attacks. Hit detection might be there, but if you're trapped in a lag duel with another player, hit detection doesn't matter much (unless you have a flame thrower).

Commander
Arguably, the most fun you can have in the game right now is, ironically, the alien commander. They finally added dynamic infestation to the alien commander, which is pretty awesome. Alien structures can only be placed on infestation now, which dies off unless you have either a structure which generates infestation (like a crag) or if you chain your infestations together. The latter is the cheaper option, but can be more difficult to do because of map topography. The triggerable abilities they added to alien structures are a lot of fun, they bring some much needed micromanagement to skirmishes, giving you some control over the battle other than the ability to spam medpacks. They also make defensive and choke point engagements a lot more exciting.

My only complaint is that you can't assign your team mates waypoints as the AC. I don't know if this was intentional or they just haven't implemented waypoints yet (i didn't try as the MC), but regardless it's pretty tough to communicate with your team where you want them to go. Also, the changes they've been adding to the layout of Tram have completely fucked up the AI pathing of drifters, either that or someone took a dump in the drifter spawning pool, because these little guys are retarded now.

tl;dr
game is much better now than in the past, combat is still rough, lag issues still prevalent, lots of features and balance issues still need to be addressed, but the game is definitely playable (unless someone goes gorge and starts putting down hydras).

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3