Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
NPA's New Rig 

Locane wrote:
Why would you spend almost $400 on a case ?! Jesus H, you could buy a second video card for that.

Spyder wrote:
And no, I didn't pay even half the price that newegg lists it at

Why would you spend almost $200 on a case ?! Jesus H, you could buy a second video card for that.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:00 am

Spyder wrote:
Locane wrote:
Why would you spend almost $400 on a case ?! Jesus H, you could buy a second video card for that.

Spyder wrote:
And no, I didn't pay even half the price that newegg lists it at

Why would you spend almost $200 on a case ?! Jesus H, you could buy a second video card for that.

A good case is worth it's weight in gold and will see service for many builds to come. A good video card's value depreciates so fast that in a year you'll be able to buy the exact same thing for six wooden nickels.

Besides, I spent $1600 on the build. It's not like the extra $$ on the case broke my budget or anything.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 am
Profile ICQ

I built my case:

(Kinda bad pictures, but what can you expect from a cellphone)

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Nice. Is that all acrylic? I know the couple I've seen had huge issues with static because nothing grounded through the case.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 pm
Profile ICQ

Nice. Is that all acrylic? I know the couple I've seen had huge issues with static because nothing grounded through the case.

I haven't had any issues with static, but then I don't do a whole lot to it. I figure it's grounded through the psupply pretty well, but I can definitely see where someone might be concerned.

I built it out of some home depot acryllic and some aluminum channel stuff. It's a lot rougher than what I had envisioned but it took me so long to build it that I figured I'd just fucking finish it so I could play NS again, heh.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm

is that a fucking nuclear reactor i see in there?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:23 pm

No, that's just my heatsink.

Seriously, I was bargain basement shopping because the socket am2 I bought didn't come with a heat sink. I went to fry's to buy one, and that was the lowest thing they had that wasn't a cheesy $5 aluminum one. It was $70. :(

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 pm

erik myers wrote:

Seriously, I was bargain basement shopping because the socket am2 I bought didn't come with a heat sink. I went to fry's to buy one, and that was the lowest thing they had that wasn't a cheesy $5 aluminum one. It was $70. :(

lol you spent 70$ on a heatsink yet you rag on someone for buying an expensive case?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Locane wrote:
erik myers wrote:

lol you spent 70$ on a heatsink yet you rag on someone for buying an expensive case?

Heatsink = Functional, and given that the Crosshair was designed to be overclocked with an aftermarket cooler, it's fair to say that it's encouraged.

$200 for a case is just *wow* money on something that's just going to look pretty. Spyder has money to burn though, so I could see buying a nice case if it offered some kind of benefit and I already had a second video card.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:24 pm
Site Admin

Case design can often affect system heat more than the heatsinks.

Plus, I'd have to say, in regards to "money on something that's just going to look pretty" your see-through acrylic case is certainly made more with form than function in mind, compared to either Spyder's or mine. ;)

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:02 am
Profile YIM WWW

Case design can often affect system heat more than the heatsinks.

Indeed, heatsinks are only half of the whole "air-cooled system" You still have to get that hot air out of the case and replace it with cooler air, and the case design goes a very, very long way in determining that. It's not just a matter of air comes in through the front and goes out through the back, especially as you get more and more high wattage items inside the case.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2