http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115202
Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131365
Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145224
HDDs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136284
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136322

Few other odds and ends. Recycling an 8800GTX, 22" samsung LCD, MX518, speakers etc. from my old rig. Grand total on my newegg order was $1658.89. Will upgrade the video card at some future date.

Fear being 25 and single.

Edit: Fixed the links.

Last edited by Spyder on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:55 am
Profile ICQ

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm

That would be shorthand for NinjaPirateAssassin, which is the only way you'd recognize me if you gamed with me at all.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Ninja Pirates apparently fail at linking, which I suppose is sensible given the discrepancy in tech level.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, Forgot about newegg's dislike of second-hand cut and pasting, I'll fix it.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:38 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

PSU needs moar 12v Rails. (Although the one it has is a nice one, it's prob why it only certifies to 8800GTX)

Don't like the chipset on the motherboard, but there aren't many that support that new fangled CPU, which I do like, overkill though it maybe. Lest yer doing a lot of video encoding, compiling, multi-server hosting, or something else that is actually going to use that CPU, ye might consider something dual core instead of quad (and 775), and get yerself a wider range of chipsets to choose from that way. (Granted, then you may need to rethink your memory as well... *sigh* Hopefully, nVidia or someone will release an alternative to the Intel ICH10R chipset soon.)

Iffy on the case. Ye might be able to get a good Thermaltake armor for less (speedo may suffice) - downside to those is the non-standard side fan, but 140mm fans aren't easy to find either, so at least you'll have one proprietary fan to start making racket on you, instead of four.
You'll let me violate you no matter who you are!" - Black Lagoon OP

Thothie

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW

PSU needs moar 12v Rails. (Although the one it has is a nice one, it's prob why it only certifies to 8800GTX)

Don't know where you get that. Not one of the major PSU brands that I would consider buying from run more than 1 12V rail. Not Corsair, nor PCPnC/OCZ, nobody. Perusing newegg the only ones I see that even offer it are by companies like Rosewill and Silverstone. Either way I don't care for crossfire/sli setups anyway, so I don't consider it an issue.

Quote:
Don't like the chipset on the motherboard, but there aren't many that support that new fangled CPU, which I do like, overkill though it maybe. Lest yer doing a lot of video encoding, compiling, multi-server hosting, or something else that is actually going to use that CPU, ye might consider something dual core instead of quad (and 775), and get yerself a wider range of chipsets to choose from that way. (Granted, then you may need to rethink your memory as well... *sigh* Hopefully, nVidia or someone will release an alternative to the Intel ICH10R chipset soon.)

Indeed, X58 is pretty much it atm, and the next set of stuff down the pipe is actually going UP in complexity/price rather than down. But still, this was purely a desire buy. Going with a core2quad would've been the smart decision, would've been a hell of a lot cheaper on three different avenues (proc, mobo, ram) but I wanted to try out the new i7 (even though I don't really need anything at that level) and I had the money for it.

Quote:
Iffy on the case. Ye might be able to get a good Thermaltake armor for less (speedo may suffice) - downside to those is the non-standard side fan, but 140mm fans aren't easy to find either, so at least you'll have one proprietary fan to start making racket on you, instead of four.

Case was a personal preference buy. And no, I didn't pay even half the price that newegg lists it at, or I would've gone with a thermaltake or more likely one of the antec's. Fan's are not an issue for me as I can get all kinds of goodies through my work and have no problems doing a case mod to fit a different fan setup in there if I feel like it.

Trust me, not a lot on this build I'd recommend to your average consumer, or even gamer for that matter. Could've easily saved $5-600 and had a comparable C2Q build but that's not what I wanted *shrugs*.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Profile ICQ

That would be shorthand for NinjaPirateAssassin, which is the only way you'd recognize me if you gamed with me at all.

Guess I don't, at least not since garry's mod.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:25 pm
Site Admin

Don't know where you get that. Not one of the major PSU brands that I would consider buying from run more than 1 12V rail. Not Corsair, nor PCPnC/OCZ, nobody. Perusing newegg the only ones I see that even offer it are by companies like Rosewill and Silverstone. Either way I don't care for crossfire/sli setups anyway, so I don't consider it an issue.

Yer looking at the wrong class of PSU then, as there many (many) good PSU's with multiple 12v rails, but I wasn't aware you weren't looking into SLI (I assumed you were when ye said you were salvaging your 8800). If yer not, then yer better off with one great 12v rail than 4-6 good ones.

Meh, I remember when I was 25, loaded, sorta single (live-in), and blew twice that much money on a rig... A 486, mind you. ;)
"The demon Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: 'Learn Guys'." - Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett p.224
Thothie

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yer looking at the wrong class of PSU then, as there many (many) good PSU's with multiple 12v rails, but I wasn't aware you weren't looking into SLI (I assumed you were when ye said you were salvaging your 8800). If yer not, then yer better off with one great 12v rail than 4-6 good ones.

Meh, I remember when I was 25, loaded, sorta single (live-in), and blew twice that much money on a rig... A 486, mind you. ;)

Rephrase, There is nothing from the major brands under 1000W that runs dual 12V rails that I'd consider buying. Most of the multi-rails are in the 4-500W range (too low) or 1kW+ (too high) 7-850W seems to be the zone of Uber-single rails. Seeing as I own (the debt for) my own house, electrical bills did come into consideration ;)

The recycling of the 8800 is temporary. They didn't have the particular card I wanted in stock. So a few months down the line when the next uber-graphic game that I actually want to play comes out I'll drop ~$400 on a new card.

I remember my dad spending almost $2000 on one of the first Pentium's when I was a kid....

Last edited by Spyder on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:25 am
Profile ICQ

Spyder wrote:

Guess I don't, at least not since garry's mod.

Yeah, that was mostly for the NS/L4D crowd that's too young to remember me from the forums.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:26 am
Profile ICQ

Why would you spend almost $400 on a case ?! Jesus H, you could buy a second video card for that.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:25 am

Why would you spend almost $400 on a case ?! Jesus H, you could buy a second video card for that.

Spyder wrote:
And no, I didn't pay even half the price that newegg lists it at

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:31 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Even if he did, cases tend to stick with you longer than video cards, if yer a component builder.

I've been tossing stuff into my old CM Stacker for like, nearly a decade now (cost like $300, IIRC). Shame they don't make this model anymore. The thing's huge, cool even with two PSU's, and the crossflow fan is just unbeatable. Too bad the newer models suck so hard. Unless they start making mobo's in strange funky shapes, or one of my ex's gets really mad at me, I don't see me ever buying another case again.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW

"The demon Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: 'Learn Guys'." - Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett p.224
Thothie

One of my most favorite books ever. Just felt like pointing that out.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next