Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Marijuana Strain report 
Site Admin

Wouldn't the benefit be a healthier (theoretically) and longer lived population?

There’s no benefit to a longer lived population that is not allowed to make its own decisions.

Quote:
But by your philosphy, no drugs should be illegal. Not just marijuana, but we must then legalize crack, lsd, meth, etc. since outlawing those would also be a "basic violation of people's rights."

Damn straight.

Quote:
To go even further, then you must legalize anything that doesn't directly harm another person, therefore speeding (or any traffic violation for that matter that doesn't result in an accident), public indecency, statutory rape, public intoxication, along with countless other taboo practices should also be legalized to protect people's most basic rights.

You are comparing acts that only have a potential to harm ones self with acts that are almost guaranteed to harm others, are tantamount to putting people in direct danger, or cause irreparable psychological damage to others. The argument is false.

I’m all for the DUI laws and such, although I don’t think the punishment should be any different, regardless of what the influence was.

Quote:
There are plenty of people who start making their own decisions well before the age of 18. Plenty more people over the age of 18 are considered to be adults but are just as infantile if not more so than many people under the age of 18.

18 is the cut-off age of this society. We have no elaborate rites of passage in our national culture, so yeah, that’s where you assume full responsibility for your decisions. If you are never allowed that freedom, you never truly become an adult. It’s not a matter of maturity, it’s a matter of responsibility. An unsuccessful adult, is still an adult, but a person who never is allowed to make his own decisions, never can be.

Quote:
Its only unjust if that which the law outlaws produces justifiably more good than it prevents bad. In your personal opinion, do you think the legalization of marijuana would do more net gppd by granting infantile "adults" the ability to make a poor decision for the sake of freedom, or would it do more net bad by becoming a potetnial health risk for said people? (note* for clarity sake, not everyone who smokes marijuana is infantile and incapable of making good decisions).

I’m having trouble translating that, so I’m going to condense it to “Do you think the drug laws do more harm than good?â€

Last edited by Saint Thoth on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

yah like $10 a gram is unheard of . . . my friends down here sell 1.0-1.2 gram dubs like hotcakes. :o inflation is real kids! Gone are the days of $1 joints, haha.

Although I think largely its a matter of who you know---or how high up on the food chain you get your weed. My friends up north sell coke and thizz and get their weed straight from the source (like a F or FOAF grows it or buys it in 10 lb lots), and we go way back, so its naturally a lot cheaper, even in small amounts. The guys I know down here only do weed and buy it buy in zips from people they met not too long ago. They don't even sell for a profit(just to smoke for free) and they charge that much, lol.

edit: I suppose it doesn't help that i go to the squarest public university in US history, in the middle of the most affluent full-size county around.

Last edited by erik myers on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Please. The exact reason I made a thread about this instead of bringing it up in the previous drug thread is to escape this ridiculous tirade. I firmly believe that it is the responsibility of good citizens to review and test the laws they are responsible for (and act as champions of). Nothing you can say will ever change that (or change the fact that such a responsibility is WELL EXPRESSED in American history, law, and precedent). STOP BRINGING IT UP.

So just because I take medicine, I can't enjoy it? You don't even have a fucking clue what my prescription is to say I'm "abusing" it. Marijuana is a PROPHYLACTIC for a great many conditions, several of which I am greatly (and currently) susceptible to. I'm not going to discuss the specifics of my medical needs as codified with my doctor, but suffice to say i COULD REASONABLY(within the confines of medical precedence, expediency, etc) be prescribed smoking 2-4 grams a day.

Now you turn around and say that just because I happen to enjoy my medication, that it actually ADDS to my day unilaterally, that I am necessarily "abusing my prescription"? Fucking bullshit man, either get a fucking clue or shut the fuck up. I actually smoke LESS a day than I "should" according to my doctor, so your moral crusade should be getting on my case for not taking all of my meds. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

A) personal choice. what you as an individual do has no bearing on how right or wrong what I do is.
B) I could be prosecuted by the DEA, but not any California (state or local) DA. Even me being prosecuted on the federal level is a HUGE debate over state's rights(yeah, the feds SAY that THEY have the most power . . . the states SAY that THEY do. the only reason the feds ever (and the reason why they always will, contrary to their original purpose) have more power in that area is because they always have the last word. Its a flaw in the system, don't get on my case about it). I could also go to jail for 10 years for owning a hydroponic's store and NEVER doing anything illegal, whats your point?
C) I find nearly every thing preventing me from recreationally "abusing" marijuana highly unethical. So we have opinions, whats your point?

I would also like to clarify that I'm REALLY not abusing the system . . . If i just wanted to smoke pot I wouldn't spend the money getting a recommendation . . . gee, penalty for possession of up to an ounce is a $100 fine max(and they have to catch you)? getting a recommendation costs at least that much, and you have to renew it every year.

MAYBE I actually DO care about myself . . . maybe I'm not just some little self-destructive low-life who you need to look after and enslave.

I fail to see where it is ethical to decide that YOU (or anyone else) know ultimately, objectively and without fail what is best for another person.

NOW GTF back on topic. If everyone behaves I'll post again later when I have time. If you guys aren't mature enough to respect another person then we'll see, but I won't be pushed around by incorrect powerless assholes, so theres no point in trying any funny business :D. Thothie or your pinkness, if you aren't comfortable with this I'll respect that, but I really see no reason for concern (and its not like there was anything "wrong" with the other drug thread, which, by the way, talked about more illegal things than this very grey area).

kudos Erik, you're very well spoken. As for Doc, I think he's just jealous that someone else on here, besides himself, makes sense. :roll:

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:04 pm

There’s no benefit to a longer lived population that is not allowed to make its own decisions.

But there is a benefit of unleashing what would be an epidemic of unrestricted drug use amongst the population? Also, there are plenty of decisions to be made, you make it seem as if the decision to put substances in your body is the most important decision anyone will ever make in their life.

Quote:
You are comparing acts that only have a potential to harm ones self with acts that are almost guaranteed to harm others, are tantamount to putting people in direct danger, or cause irreparable psychological damage to others. The argument is false.

I'll give you public indecency and statutory rape even though I don't believe either of those cause "irreparable psychological" damage.
However traffic violations I think are completetly relevant when you take other persons out of the equation.

For example, take speed limits on a road with nobody else driving on it. Should you follow them? If you speed you're not a danger to anyone else but yourself, so shouldn't you be able to judge how fast you can drive? And if that were the case, then why shouldn't you be able to judge all the time. Why have speed limits at all?

The same goes for stop lights. Should you be obligated to wait at a stop light at 2 am in the morning when there is not another car around for miles? Wouldn't waiting be unneccessary? Shouldn't you be able to decide that it's alright for you to go through the intersection if you know matter of factly it won't effect anybody else? And once again, if that's the case why should it change when there are people around? I assert that traffic laws are just as unneccessary as drug laws, and therefore by your definition unjust.

Quote:
I’m all for the DUI laws and such, although I don’t think the punishment should be any different, regardless of what the influence was.

Not just DUI but public intoxication as well then? We saw in the other thread just how many people were completely fine with walking around in public while under the influence. If you're going to say doing drugs is ok as long as it only puts you at risk, then you should enforce and even increase the severity of public intoxication laws.

Quote:

18 is the cut-off age of this society. We have no elaborate rites of passage in our national culture, so yeah, that’s where you assume full responsibility for your decisions. If you are never allowed that freedom, you never truly become an adult. It’s not a matter of maturity, it’s a matter of responsibility. An unsuccessful adult, is still an adult, but a person who never is allowed to make his own decisions, never can be.

There are plenty of other decissions to be made. Illegal substances shouldn't even register on any list of priorities to living a successful healthy life. Why campaign so strongly for it if not for solely the principle?

[quote]I’m having trouble translating that, so I’m going to condense it to “Do you think the drug laws do more harm than good?â€

Last edited by TheDoc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Gee, I go to school, work, study, learn, socialize, formulate potential advancements in science, psychology, and sociology, actively contribute to the molding and actual structure of society, and above all enjoy myself. What are you contributing to society?

"formulate potential advancements in science, psychology, and sociology, actively contribute to the molding and actual structure of society," .. ? LOL

A little defensive are we?

I don't contribute much, except for my work and helping people with technical things. I hope to contribute on a larger scale one day, but I would imagine that smoking pot all the time would make me less inclined to do so.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Saint Thoth wrote:

But there is a benefit of unleashing what would be an epidemic of unrestricted drug use amongst the population? Also, there are plenty of decisions to be made, you make it seem as if the decision to put substances in your body is the most important decision anyone will ever make in their life.

Why should anyone other than the user make that choice? We're supposed to live in a "free" country. To hold to that ideal and to block usage of a substance that affects only the user is hippocrasy.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 pm

TheDoc wrote:
Saint Thoth wrote:

Why should anyone other than the user make that choice? We're supposed to live in a "free" country. To hold to that ideal and to block usage of a substance that affects only the user is hippocrasy.

Am I the only one who believes the future preservation of freedom and democracy in America doesn't depend on the legalization of marijuana?

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Hooray_Yogurt wrote:
TheDoc wrote:
Saint Thoth wrote:

Am I the only one who believes the future preservation of freedom and democracy in America doesn't depend on the legalization of marijuana?

It's simply one example of the degradation of the nation.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:29 pm

I find it interesting the history leading up to the criminalization of marijuana to be particularly interesting

and I'm willing to bet dimes to dollars that if the 13 (man I suck) colonies grew dank, instead of bacco, people would hide in dark alleyways to get their nicotine fix.

What ever happened to all powers not expressly delegated to the federal government are reserved by the state?

[edit]
pretty sure thats wrong, man I suck
13, not 7... I wonder where the seven came from
[/edit]

Last edited by That Annoying Kid on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:47 pm

What ever happened to all powers not expressly delegated to the federal government are reserved by the state?

The centralization of government post WW2

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

You're looking at things in reverse, Doc. The basis of your argument seems to be that we shouldn't legalize it because then people have a means of hurting themselves, but you have to realize that you can't protect people from themselves. If someone wants to do marijuana and it's not available, they might do meth instead. If no meth is available, maybe crack. None of that? Perhaps try some heroine! Failing all of that, they can always go down to the local grocery and buy a few kegs of beer. Hell, plenty of people have destroyed themselves with nothing more than WoW. People will always find a way to self-destruct, however you try to swaddle them. I sincerely hope your beliefs encompass making alcohol illegal as well, because in very many ways, it's a far more dangerous substance than marijuana.

Legalization actually creates a safer environment than without. Resellers can be licensed and held to a standard, instead of tossing in any manner of dangerous additive to increase the profit margin. The black market shrinks, and there's less worry of getting shot over these things. We have fewer people in jail for stupid crimes, meaning lower costs for our prisons, and taxes across the board on the substances, creating significant tax revenue. Additionally, those who do abuse drugs would be at less risk, as they would no longer have to fear arrest should they go in for help after a bad trip or whatever. I can't see legalization as a bad thing in any way.

That said, if it were to be legalized I'd want it restricted to peoples homes and select locations. Bad enough I have to suffer for other people smoking cigarettes, without adding that into the mix.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Isn't it possible that I don't take these arguments personally and I just enjoy a good intelligent conversation? :P

no.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:41 pm

When you drive on public roads you are entering into an agreement with the owner---the government. They can make any rule they want about what you do or dont have to do on their roads. On your own land they can't say shit.

If you look at the crime syndicate issue, it is a case of direct causality. certain situations invite crime . . . large unregulated and low-competition environments with huge profit margins (high risk, low effort) are a magnet for crime. You're just there to make money, but since you can't appeal to society for protection of your assets, you have to protect it yourself, which pretty much requires violence or the threat/possibility of violence. To a point the crime will find another revenue source (like untaxed cigarettes, etc), but by legalizing drugs you eliminate a ton of crime right away. Who would you rather get your coke from . . . the gangbanger down the street or walgreens? especially when walgreens sells it for only 200% of the import cost, instead of 1000%.

legalizing drugs isn't going to cause a massive influx of addicts or hospital visits . . . the majority of overdoses come from substance confusion or adulteration, or just plain ignorance. regulation solves all of those. Additionally, people (yes, including people that do drugs) don't WANT to overdose, don't WANT to lose their lives to addiction, what makes you really think whether "the government" says its okay is going to make that big of a difference? By far more damage has been done by the lies spread about less vicious drugs . . . "oh yeah, meth is dangerous?" "like pot was?"

Quote:
On a small scale I disagree with you here, I fail to see how removing my right to legally purchase substances that will have a negative effect on my body effects any of my other freedoms. On a large scale, you make it seem like we are living in a totalitatarian society. It's a democracy, the government doesn't just constantly outlaw things without reason.
Like they haven't done for ____ or ____? I guess you could say the government doesn't do that, if you count "congressional pocketbooks" as a "reason" for anything.

locane - I'm defensive? Perhaps, yes. Lets look at the information before us: You opened this conversation by directly implying that I was a nearly worthless burden to society, am I wrong? Additionally, you clearly noted that your reasons for said assumption were predominantly because of my disposition toward marijuana, a stereotype I find BLATANTLY false and work fairly hard to correct. So yeah, maybe I was defensive. :roll:

bella - thanks, :). Doc is just mixed up.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:07 am

i've gotten pre-orgasmic(repeatedly, not just once) muscle spasms by sitting down and not moving . . . its bliss.

hell yeah!!! dats some dank shit!!!!

erik do you play on the NS server under a different name?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:16 pm

now i usually make up random names, with recurring themes :D

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next